Aww, crap Now I'm allergic to...

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by SleepyMama, Feb 25, 2007.

1. SleepyMama

SleepyMama New Member

Dogs! I love dogs! I've always had a dog...at least until I had my kids. I plan to get a dog again when I can afford a home for it. I recently hadto give up my cat because I couldn't stand to touch her. Today, visiting my Mom (she has two minitature schnauzers) I was finding that every breath I took was bothering me the same way a lungful of cleaner fumes, or gasoline would. It eventually took me down so bad I ended up spending half the day sleeping in Mom's room (where the dogs don't go) half the day.

I'm really upset about this, but I'm hoping that it's because I'm fighting off a virus of some sort (I've had a mildly sore spot in my throat for 3 weeks now and my kids have both had high fevers) and that if I can pick my immune system up I may not be so sensitive. Has anyone else dealt with this?
  2. cjcookie

cjcookie New Member

only allergic to some cats. Maybe when you decide to get a dog, the breeder will let you spend some time around the dogs to see if you are allergic. I am allergic to a lot of things but luckily, I am not allergic to shih tzus. I've heard they are good dogs for people with allergies. I know you would love one of them - mine are sooooo cuddly and affectionate. I swear they saved my life.
  3. SleepyMama

SleepyMama New Member

Yeah, allergy friendly dogs are an option (I hope). I'm a die-hard BIG dog fan though. I'm thinking maybe a standard poodle. (I'll have to punk it up a bit, no froo-froo poodle for me lol) I hear they actually have hair, not fur and ar supposed to be a good option for allergies. Plus, poodles are at the top of the "most trainable" list.

I sure would love to be able to have a rottweiler again, and I've always dreamed of having a great dane.
  4. woofmom

woofmom New Member

For years I blamed a hamster. Turns out it wasn't the hamster. It was the treated bedding I used in his cage. And I had a virus a couple of months ago. My chemical sensitivities went into overdrive from it.
  5. GigglePoet

GigglePoet New Member

HI Sleepy,
    I am so sorry to hear this and I totally understand this myself, only my problems are with chemicals. There are few places I can go to and stay for very long except my own home. I sure hope that you pick up your strength. I also wanted to ask you if you have ever looked into NAET..It has done some amazing things for people. It is a very quick,totally no invasive treatment that most often only takes 24 hours to clear. If you want to look into it Put in a search for NAET.com and do some reading also I think it would help find you a doctor who does it. Hope that gives you some hope. Hang in there!

Hugzzzz GigglePoet
  6. SleepyMama

SleepyMama New Member

That's really interesting. I've never heard of it. I'm going to look into it for sure. Turns out there's a practitioner very close to where I live (Like a few blocks maybe!) I just hope I can afford it.
  7. SleepyMama

SleepyMama New Member

If it's the dogs shampoo or food I'm allergic to. My Mom has a lot of the same problems I do, so everything in her house is cleaned with Melaleuca. Except the dogs because they go to the groomer. I don't know if an allergy to their food would cause me to be allergic to them....but if they are what they eat?....Think of all the crap they put in dog food!
  8. AmazAunt

AmazAunt New Member

Dear mama,

I'm so sorry. What a bum deal to develop that allergy. Holding and watching and stroking my warm, loving, silly dogs is sometimes the one thing that keeps me from total desperation.

Hope some of the suggestions made here work out for you, or that it's the virus you mentioned.

Good luck.
  9. suzetal

suzetal New Member

I have 3 of them.They have human hair and give off no dander.It could be something else in her house.

My step daughter is allergic to dogs and we had a litter of pups and gave her one she has no problems with the schnauzer.

Sue
  10. tngirl

tngirl New Member

There are dogs that don't shed and are better for people who are allergic. It's not always the hair a person is allergic to, could be the dander.

I don't think there is an animal anywhere that doesn't have dander. That is what I read and was also told by an allergist.

I have a poodle/bichon frise mix. She doesn't shed at all. When I comb her a very small amount will be in the brush, much the same as when people brush their own hair.

Here are some that I remember are considered "good" for allergies
    poodle (all sizes!)
    Bichon-frise
    Yorkies
    Maltese

You do have to consider the cost of grooming, unless you want to do your own. My dog goes to the doggie beauty salon about every 6 weeks.

And combing her does make my sholders and arms hurt.

My dog groomer has told me that often white dogs have skin problems (mine sure does, I have to buy her allergy medication every month)

I love her dearly and wouldn't willingly part with her. I hope she lives a long, long life.
  11. Catseye

Catseye Member

I had hay fever from when I was 11 years old. I was always sneezing, with a red face, blowing my nose constantly, and I couldn't get near cats. About 5 years ago, still having horrible hay fever problems, I read on the internet how people were getting rid of their sinus and hay fever by giving up dairy. I thought it was the stupidest thing I ever heard. I was one of those "double blind study" junkies who thought tests and drugs were the answer to everything. Ha! Or so I thought.

Anyway, I kept seeing more and more about it and decided to try it. Three months after I stopped all dairy, cheese, ice cream and yogurt, I stopped sneezing. Completely. I could snuggle with the cats and never had to take cold medicine or benadryl. Then I read that maybe raw, or unpasteurized, dairy, was not as apt to make your immune system hypersensitive to cats and pollen and whatever else your allergens are. So I tried it. And I didn't sneeze. I was getting raw milk cheeses and loving them. But at about that time, I developed cfs and had to give up dairy altogether. Even raw milk does terrible things to me now.

I believe it was the milk proteins that are altered by the pasteurization process that were responsible for the hypersensitive immune system. So I was never really allergic to cats and pollen, I just got hypersensitive to them from milk and then they set me off.

I'd try giving up all dairy for at least 2 months and see if it clears up. It takes awhile to get out of your system.

best wishes,

karen
  12. Slayadragon

Slayadragon New Member

Before I got CFS, I was extremely allergic to pollen (especially ragweed) and somewhat allergic to cats.

The cat allergy got worse after I got CFS.

A while later, I learned that I had a bunch of food allergies. (Food allergies are very common amongst CFS sufferers.)

I made a big attempt to start avoiding those foods, and my CFS in general got much better.

The interesting thing was---after that, pollen and cats no longer bothered me as much! (Pollen stopped being a problem at all, and cats got a lot better.)

There's a concept called "allergic load," which means that if you get rid of some of the things you're most allergic to, you can better tolerate others.

Foods create a huge allergic load, because they are ingested and digested. Things that you breathe in aren't nearly as bad.

The other thing I did with the cat and the pollen is to make my bedroom an allergen-free "oasis." I didn't let the cat in the bedroom at all, and bought a really good air purifier. (The one I got was an Austin HealthMate.) If you spend eight or more hours away from allergens, it makes your body more able to deal with them the rest of the time.

Of course, my cat did not like not being allowed in the bedroom at night, but at least I was able to keep him.

Anyway, if you're like me, you may be able to prepare your body as above so that you can tolerate a pet. It's nice to have one, especially since limitations from CFS can decrease opportunities for human contact.

I wrote a post called "Food Allergies" a while back that you might be able to find. In any case, if you have questions, let me know.

Best, Lisa

[This Message was Edited on 02/26/2007]
  13. SleepyMama

SleepyMama New Member

Thank you all for the responses, they're really informative. Can't wait to see what helps!