Azithromycin intriguing study helping CF, also used for Lyme

Discussion in 'Lyme Disease Archives' started by victoria, Aug 23, 2006.

1. victoria

victoria New Member

Azithromycin is one of the abx used in the Marshall Protocol as well as by LLMDs for the treatment of Lyme disease... which is why this study is particularly intriguing, IMHO:

From PubMed:

J Transl Med. 2006 Aug 15;4(1):34 [Epub ahead of print]

Azithromycin in Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (CFS), an analysis of clinical data. -- Vermeulen RC, Scholte HR.

ABSTRACT: BACKGROUND: CFS is a clinical state with defined symptoms, but undefined cause. The patients may show a chronic state of immune activation and treatment with an antibiotic in this subgroup has been suggested.

METHODS: In a retrospective study, the response of CFS patients to azithromycin, an antibiotic and immunomodulating drug, has been scored from the patients records and compared with clinical and laboratory data.

Azithromycin was not the first choice therapy, but offered when the effect of counseling and L-carnitine was considered insufficient by the patient and the clinician.

RESULTS: Of the 99 patients investigated, 58 reported a decrease in the symptoms by the use of azithromycin. These responding patients had lower levels of plasma acetylcarnitine.

CONCLUSION: The efficacy of azithromycin in the responsive patients could be explained by the modulating effect on a chronic primed state of the immune cells of the brain, or the activated peripheral immune system.

Their lower acetylcarnitine levels may reflect a decreased antioxidant defense and/or an increased consumption of acetylcarnitine caused by oxidative stress.

PMID: 16911783 [PubMed - as supplied by publisher]
  2. johnfasy

johnfasy New Member

Isn't it amazing that no one seems to have drawn the connection between the antibiotic improving symptoms in CFIDS patients and the possibility that CFIDS may be a bacterial infection...like Lyme. Duh.
    I have never known a Lyme sufferer, and I have known quite a few in my 18 year history with Lyme and related tick borne infections, who did not suffer with CFIDS or Fibromyalgia.
  3. victoria

victoria New Member

and if it's not Lyme it'll be some other bacterial 'stealth pathogen'; I'm betting there are others besides the ones we already 'know' about.

best,
    Victoria

4. ANNXYZ

ANNXYZ New Member

I think CFIDS / FM = infections that reside ( incognito ) in the white cells of sufferers