B-12 injections, which is the best?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by acuario, Feb 13, 2006.

1. acuario

acuario New Member

Hi everybody.
    does anybody know which B-12 injections is the best?
    Like cyanocobalamin or Metylcobalamin? are there more kinds? Which could be the best for foggy brain?
    Do I need a prescription for these injections?
    Thank you all.
  2. kjfms

kjfms Member

...I give myself cyanocobalamin injections every three weeks. If I am feeling pretty bad and run down I will take one injection for three day straight and it helps me feel better. I don't know if they help with brain fog. They just make me feel better with a little more energy.

You do have to have a prescription for B-12 injections.

Karen
  3. acuario

acuario New Member

thanks kjfms for you info.
    how much ml or mcl you take? if you inject yourself where do you inject? intramuscular? in the thigh?
  4. kjfms

kjfms Member

I inject 1cc (which is equal to 1 ml) IM (intramuscular) in upper arm, upper thigh, or upper buttocks.

I have been doing this since 1999 when first Dx with FMS. It seems to help me.

Make sure you ask the physician to put PRN (as needed) on your prescription so you can take extra when you need to.

I hope this helps a little, I am starting a 3 day dose tonight-I haven't been feeling to well.

I hope you feel better.

Good Luck,

Karen
    [This Message was Edited on 02/13/2006]
  5. elsa

elsa New Member

I meant to reply to this yesterday .... Sorry about that!

My rx is for 1ml/cc of methylcobalamin 1xweek, but I have started taking it every 5 days. I'll use more often if I need to, but I don't think I will.

My doctor was not interested in the cyanocobalamin ... His words were "cyan .... cyanide .... get it? I don't think so" .... Guess he didn't like it huh?!

Mythel does absorb better whether it is shot form or subl. When given the option these days I'm go for a shot delivery everytime. I have gotten to the point that if I am going to take something, I want the best bang for my buck ... alot of times injection is the best delivery method.

I get mine from my local compounding pharmacy. I also have a compounded rx for B-Complex injections .... 1ml/cc 1xwk. I wanted these seperate as I will always take b-complex ... maybe I will need b-12 and maybe I won't. Or I might need more b-12 that would be included in b-complex shot. I'm a control person, what can I say.

I am a big believer in this as part of the entire mitochondria support plan. We don't have great mitochondria function .... I supplement mitochondria with the B's we just talked about plus several other things.

With the above things taken together (or throughout day, but together as a comprehensive mitochondria treatment)I am getting that "powerhouse" effect that has been missing. I actually started being VERY careful of my dosing schedule with this treatment .... otherwise, nights would be BIG ADVENTURES!! LOl

Good luck to you on this. It is the opinions of my doctors (two of them anyway) that mitoch. dysfunction is a big aspect of CFS/FMS and needs to be addressed in order to get the best possible function level one can have. Or, as I see it, one of the steps that must be addressed in order to reach remission.

Elsa
  6. kjfms

kjfms Member

...of course you must discuss this with you physician so that you both can come to a conclusion that will most benefit you.

I just do not want anyone to be alarmed by the word cyanide.

The amount of cyanide is so small that there is not cyanide toxicity...even with large doses. As a matter of fact there is an article which says the same on this site.

Cyanocobalamin (sigh ah no ko Ball ah min)- is a man made form of Vitamin B12. It is important ofr cell reproduction, growth blood formation and protein and tissue synthesis.

You asked about my experience and it has been very good for me.

Good luck,

Karen

7. acuario

acuario New Member

thank you all for all your good ingormation.
    I will try both. thanks
  8. ladude

ladude New Member

I started out with 1,000 mcg of hydrocobalamin and took 1 1/2 cc's a several times a week. Then switched to 10,000mcg of methylcobalamin and cut down to 1/2cc dose. I read this form crosses the blood brain barrier better. (say that 3 times fast)

Not sure which made me feel better. But I did learn you could take too much which is why I may switch to 5,000mcg. If you take it too often or too much you get this terrible feeling for a few hours, I think the scientific term is real yucky. Cheney says on the video you can take up to 25,000 mcg daily - wow - no telling how much anyone needs, you just have to experiment.

I get vials from McGuff pharmacy in the mail, the preservative free type. They are excellent in price, and very knowledgeable and very friendly. They are located in Orange County CA.

The shots in butt have become so routine as to be a non event as opposed to the beginning when I came close to giving up on the whole thing because of just looking at the needle and thinking about what I was going to do.

In a few weeks I'm also going to start shots of folic acid, magnesium sulfate 50% solution and Taurine. This must be a dream..........

Hope this helps
    LAdude