B complex and P5P, please help

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by frickly, Jun 12, 2009.

1. frickly

frickly New Member

Part of my son's treatment for autism is Pyridoxal 5' Phosphate (active form of B6 33.8 mg) and 5-MTHF (folate as methyl tetrahydrofolate 1,000mcg). I am winging it as I cannot afford a knowledgable doctor for both of us. I have been taking a B complex (Enzymatic Daily energy B complex with B6 as pyridoxine HCI 85mg, cyanoc Folic acid 800mcg, B12 as cyanocobalamin) for some time and I started taking this P5P and folate about one week ago. I am in terrible pain. My CFS symptoms are back with a vengence. I think I am herxing as this is how I felt when I started my antibiotics and I get simular responses whenever I start a new supplement.

Since it is almost impossible to find a doctor who is knowledgable about supplements, I am hoping you can help me. Is it dangerous to take a B complex and P5P together? I am willing to struggle through the pain as it has paid off in the past but want to make sure I am taking my supplements in a safe manner. I read that it should be ok to take under 200mg of B6 but am a little confused and unsure.

Any help would be appreciated.

2. mbofov

mbofov Active Member

First, I don't think it's dangerous to take a B complex vitamin and P5P together. As you indicated, P5P is the active enzyme form of B6.

But, you're also taking 5-MTHF, a special form of folate. This makes me think about the methylation protocol outlined by Rich Van Konynenburg, the purpose of which is to restart the methylation cycle in the body of persons wtih CFIDS. His theory is that CFIDS is caused by a partial block in the methylation cycle.

Almost everyone who tries Rich's protocol experiences detox reactions, which can be quite unpleasant. Part of the protocol is a special form of folate.

I cannot tell you the chemistry involved, but I think this is a question Rich could answer for you. I suggest you relabel your post as a question to Rich, and I'm sure he'll respond. If you put "Rich Vank" in your title, I think he'll find it.

Good luck -