B12 injections on NHS ?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by rebeccavw, Dec 8, 2005.

  1. rebeccavw

    rebeccavw New Member


    I had a B12 Methylcobalamin injection at a private hospital this week.

    Can I get this on the NHS ? I cant even be bothered asking my GP she is so useless !

  2. Rosiebud

    Rosiebud New Member

    6 weeks ago. Usually they only give it to people with anemia, not for M.E.

    I had to discuss it with my GP and take him in papers to read on why B12 injections are good for people with M.E.

    I took him something from Dr. Sarah Myhill. She suggests twice weekly but he wouldnt agree to that.

    I'm happy to get whatever I can.

    Good luck

  3. rebeccavw

    rebeccavw New Member

    Is it methylcobalamin B12 ? I know there are a few different types of B12 injections. Sarah Myhill gives a different type to this.

  4. KimDC

    KimDC New Member

    I give myself B-12 injections at home every other day (1000 mcg). I don't think your primary would give you a hard time because the shots are a very acceptable/conventional tx for fatigue. It's also cheap, which is nice. Good luck!
  5. Rosiebud

    Rosiebud New Member

    my GP gives me Coblin-H, Hydroxocobalamin. Do you think there's a big difference in types?

    I asked him if I could self inject but he insisted the district nurse does it - when I'm well enough I go to surgery and when I'm not they come to me.

    There's good info on this on the Canadian guidelines too if you want to take something to your GP.

    Also if your GP refuses, Sarah Myhill will sell the B12 injections so you can self inject but I dont know where you're supposed to get the needles etc. and I dont know how easy it is to do that.

    I'd be interested in hearing how you get on.

    [This Message was Edited on 12/09/2005]
    [This Message was Edited on 12/09/2005]
  6. deliarose

    deliarose New Member

    It's very easy to self-inject. I do it in the stomach where there is a lot of fatty issue...I think it would be more painful in a part of the body that is muscular or has nerves.

    I take 1ML every other day.. but I live in the States so I don't have a problem getting hold of it.

    My doctor prescribed it, and I buy it from a compounding pharmacy.

    I am interested in what type of B12 people are taking though.

    I am using the cyanocobalamin type. Does anyone know what the differences are v. cyanocobalamin and hydroxycobalamin?

  7. pam_d

    pam_d New Member

    I'm in the US with an HMO (the most restrictive type of healthcare here). I'm not familiar enough with your NHS to know what they allow, but I'd recommend what someone else alluded to. Have a blood test to determine if you really need B-12 shots for anemia---the blood test for that is cheap, even if you are paying for that yourself.

    I found out that I have B-12 anemia (probably for years by the time I was finally tested). Because my bloodwork indicates a need, my shots are covered 100%. I know that if I was asking for them for vague fibro symptoms, or if I wanted to try to see if they boosted my energy level, they would almost certainly not be covered. That's why I'd advise getting a blood test; if you responded positively to the shot you had, you COULD really need them for a true B-12 deficiency, which would be covered here in the US on most every insurance plan, I'd think. In fact, I'll be taking them for the rest of my life.

    Good luck to you,

[ advertisement ]