B12, Mercury Amalgams, Methylcobalamin/Cyanocobalamin

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by LittleBluestem, Apr 11, 2006.

1. LittleBluestem

LittleBluestem New Member

I got some sublingual methlycobalamin (Neuro B12) with my last order from ProHealth and just now got around to researching dose and timing. I came upon some new-to-me and worrying information.

One post says “Huggins warns against use of sub-lingual/capsule forms of B-12 for folks w/amalgams.” Another says that Dr. Cheney advises against cyanocobalamin for people with mercury poisoning. It suggests hydroxycobalamin or methylcobalamin.

Can anyone tell me if sublingual methylcobalamin is safe to take when you have mercury amalgam fillings?

[This Message was Edited on 04/12/2006]
  2. alaska3355

alaska3355 New Member

3. NyroFan

NyroFan New Member

LittleBluestem:

I take it with no problem. Maybe I should not be taking it, but I have up to know. I will check the Cheney article, too.
    Thanks for the tip on Cheney.

nyrofan
  4. LittleBluestem

Do you have mercury amalgam fillings?

P.S. alaska3355 - Thanks for the bump.[This Message was Edited on 04/12/2006]
  5. slowdreamer

slowdreamer New Member

LittleBluestem I read somewhere that the sublingual method is a problem as the tablet is dissolving in the mouth near your mercury fillings..
    Pros and Conslike a lot of things.
  6. HagerTX

HagerTX New Member

Personally, I don't think amalgam fillings are a significant source of Mercury. I got my fillings replaced in 2004 and there wasn't any change whatsoever. Had a workup by a toxicologist--urine, hair, blood samples didn't show any significant level of Mercury (or any other metal for that matter).

Years ago, I had an online acquaintance who was a prof of biochemistry at a college in Ohio. I was taking B-12 shots back then and ran across an article on the net by Cheney concerning types of B-12. I can't recall any more details about the article but the jist was that some B-12 types were better than others. My prof acquaintance read the article and essentially said Cheney didn't know what he was talking about.

I'm sure your supplement is safe to take, fillings or not.

-G
  7. LittleBluestem

For your input.