B12 patches

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by BurbankHelper, Jan 26, 2007.

1. BurbankHelper

BurbankHelper New Member

My Mom has CFS & FM, along with multiple allergies and chemical sensitivites. As such, it's hard to find meds she can tolerate. She was recently prescribed B-12 patches, since she was having a hard time with the B-12 shots, and has a very serious deficiency, along with a Folic Acid deficiency. Has anyone used the B-12 patches? It's a bit concerning that they are to be applied behind the ear - so close to the brain. We would love to hear from someone who has used the B-12 patches and learn both the good and the bad effects. Thank you.
  2. winsomme

winsomme New Member

i don't know anyone who has used it yet, but i do know that you can order them at:

www.holisticheal.com

thanks
    bill
  3. BurbankHelper

BurbankHelper New Member

Thank you. I know she's filled the prescription already, but is hesitant to start them before hearing from someone who's actually used them. Thanks for the info.
  4. Pianowoman

Pianowoman New Member

There were some posts about these a few days ago. You could do a search.

Kathy
  5. BurbankHelper

BurbankHelper New Member

Thank you. I did the search and read the posts. Unless I missed one, I didn't see anything from someone who has actually used the B-12 patches yet. Perhaps they're too new? Thank you for the advice and help!
  6. mbofov

mbofov Active Member

Burbankhelper - what problems did your mother have with the B12 shots? Recently my doctor told me to do the shots 4 times a week, 1,000 mcg. each shot, due to an impedance cardiography test which showed my heart was weak. Since starting those shots about 5 weeks ago, my energy has increased gradually, and today felt like a "normal" day, which I have not had in a few years. So if your mother is just squeamish about the shots, she might want to rethink them. I do it 4 times a week, in my thigh (I just sit down and grab my thigh about in the center, and it doesn't hurt too much, just a little). But it has made a huge improvement in my energy. I would do it twice a day or more if it meant I would feel as good as I felt today.

However, if your mother has other problems with the B12 shots, perhaps the B12 solution itself, and just cannot do the shots, then definitely try the patches. If she has a bad reaction, she can simply remove the patch. But it can make such a big difference in how she feels, that I think she should go for it. Also, do a google search for B12 patches - see how others have responded.

My doctor is actually increasing my B12 dosage to 5,000 mcg. a shot in a week or so. It's a large dose, but I've read and my doctor said that there is no toxicity associated with B12. I was nervous when I first started the shots as I tend to be very sensitive to meds, but have had no bad reactions at all to the B12. And it's so important for energy and mental functioning and so many things, I think your mother will be fine and should give the patches a chance, if she can't do the shots for some reason.

Mary
  7. LongStruggle

LongStruggle Guest

According to my kinesologist, I needed far more patches than what the company suggested. The dosages on the patch are actually quite small for one patch per week. It is expensive to buy the patches, and it did not seem to be more beneficial than taking B-12 sublinqually. I appear to only need 1000 mcg per day and I do that sublingually.