B12 shots. Wot's too much?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by deliarose, Apr 12, 2007.

1. deliarose

deliarose New Member

hi
    I finally got around to starting shots of hydroxocobalamin B12 after finding a doc who would RX them.

Can I do too much? I know it's water soluble, non-toxic.. blah. blah, but is 3cc of 5mg/ml every 2 days too much?

delia
  2. deliarose

deliarose New Member

how do u do these shots without bruising yourself?

and yeah, i know its nuts self-treating like this.. but that's just the way it is now.
    delia
  3. deliarose

deliarose New Member

well at least now I know that I am taking 15,000 mg every 2 days .. I hadn't converted it before.. too wooly.

So I got somethign from your input!

thanks
    spacee
  4. Slayadragon

Slayadragon New Member

Hi Delia,

When I was taking B12 shots (I can't any more due to latex/rubber allergy), my doc had me supplement with lots of B complex. I can't remember if it helped to prevent problems or just maybe made the B12 more effective though.

You can get B complex in shots too, but unfortunately they sting a lot. Adding some procaine to the syringe (available in the same sort of containers from compounding pharmacies) helps.

Are you doing the shots in the butt or the thigh? The butt gave me very little (if any) bruising. I guess I'd describe where I hit (based on how my doctor showed me) was the mid portion, a bit behind the hip. You might be able to get better instructions on the Internet or from someone here. (There are a goodly number of nurses and a couple doctors here, and so a direct question might give you ans answer). I never had problems giving them to myself, but someone else doing it would work too.

Is all that B12 helping you more than a smaller amount, do you think?

Also, do you put B12 in the nebulizer (if you're still using it)? That idea is attractive to me (since combining B12 with glutathione makes a different--more bioavailable--someone, I think Rich, said), but since the nebulized glutathione hasn't helped yet and I've not gotten the hydroxy to put in and I've been preoccupied with other treatments, I've not yet pursued it.

If you have nebulized with glut/hydroxy together, what have been your results?

Thanks....

Best, Lisa

[This Message was Edited on 04/12/2007]
  5. Catseye

Catseye Member

I was doing about 5000 mcg every 3-4 days. But then I got really thin and started having too many lumps in my butt. So I tried doing them in my thigh and they hurt like hell. So now I'm using the enzymatic therapy's B12 Infusion chewables. I get a good effect from them and then I try to get the B12 shot in me at least once a week or 10 days. But I haven't really been remembering to do the shots because I feel so good!

A really great supplement I just started using is called Coenzyme A. I got it at vitacost. It was really expensive, so I have been putting off trying it for months. I hate trying something expensive when it doesn't work. Well, this last month I said "what the hey" and ordered it. And WOW, I take it in the morning and it really perks me up. It turns out I should have tried it months ago when I first found it. It is some precursors for coenzyme A, another extremely important metabolite in the body. I was already doing really well and now I'm even better. Between this, the mito fuel and the methylation stuff, I'm feeling more normal than I have in 4 years. I have a new face in the mirror. It's wild.

best wishes,

karen
  6. deliarose

deliarose New Member

thank u karen. glad to hear you're doing well.
    tnx
    delia
  7. Slayadragon

Slayadragon New Member

Also, do you know if it's possible to do B12 in IM injections? I've done those with magnesium, and I think the bruising is less. (Obviously those are done in the butt.) The needles look scary, but they're really no big deal....
  8. nev

nev New Member

I give my father b12 injections and he never bruises. We have always done it in the side shoulder area. A bit back from the middle, where it's a bit meaty(muscle). If you can at all possible get a family member or friend do it, that would be great. I know that is not always possible. Skinniest(smallest guage) needle you can find, and the shortest. They are hard to find here, the drug stores say it's not available, but if you call around. So if someone is administering the shot for you, have them squeeze gently the area and GENTLY stick it in no further than 1/2 inch. Also taking it out slowly and gently will aide in bruising and pain.

Hope this helps, I have a hard time getting on here with my dsl modem down, so if you have a question for me email me at viehand@hotmail.com
  9. Slayadragon

Slayadragon New Member

Hi Karen,

Coenzyme A is one of those things I tried years ago, but didn't get any effect with.

That might have been because I was so overrun with viruses that the effect of many other things was marginal.

I also wonder if it only works really well in combination with the other Krebs cycle supplements.

In any case, thanks for the mention. I will give it another try.

Best, Lisa
  10. deliarose

deliarose New Member

i asked doc for the B12...he only Rx'd because i asked him to.. he didn't recommend anything.

I am making this up as I go along. It's B12 how wrong can I go?!

lisa: i do the B12 adn glut.Dunno if the combo makes a difference. Hard to tell.

tnx for all the other feedback.
    delia
  11. tkeelan

tkeelan New Member

Lisa,

Youn mentioned not being able to inject the B12 anymore due to a latex allergy. Fyi ... the needles & syringes are now latex free.

Tracy
  12. Slayadragon

Slayadragon New Member

The main issue is having the liquid in a bottle with a rubber stopper. I've heard rumors that some stoppers are imitation rubber, but I'd really have to trust the pharmacy. You don't have info about that, do you?

Best, Lisa
  13. TrishinSpokane

TrishinSpokane New Member

I have been taking B12 injections for years. The dosage schedule is always based on my recent blood work. I have pernicious anemia and don't produce enough Intrinsic Factor in the stomach. I am currently self injecting bi-weekly, down from weekly based on my current lab results. I use Cyanocobalamin 1000 MCG/ML - INJ 1 ML.

To the best of my knowledge B12 injections are to be administered IM (intramuscular)with a longer needle 25 gauge - 1 1/2 meant to go deeper in order to reach the muscle. The 25 is the size of the actual needle and and 1 1/2 is the length. Subcutaneous injections are given into the top layers of the cutaneous skin, so not as deep.

I have never bruised (giving IM)and always give my injections in my thighs which are on the thin side, yet muscular.

I once had a Nurse practioner order it with SubQ needles and I bruised very easily as the med was not being administered deep enough. Shows what she knew.

If you have no formal training on how to give yourself injections, which I think Health Care providers should see that one is taught the correct procedures when initially presribed and watch to see that the patient can do it. They do it for Diabetic patients.

You might be able to find the information on line and when given correctly, no bruising should take affect. Also I'm not sure what dose might be too much and what the ramifications might be if taking too much.

I hope this makes sense, long night with every pain possible and very tired at the moment.

Trish
    [This Message was Edited on 04/13/2007]
    [This Message was Edited on 04/13/2007]
  14. tkeelan

tkeelan New Member

Lisa,

I just called Wellness Pharmacy in Birmingham Alabama & they informed me that all of there rubber stoppers are latex free because they deal with many sensitive patients. I would still put in on the Rx, just to be certain. I use them to fill my hydroxocobalamin @ 30,000 mcg/ml. They also fill my Taurine, glutathione suppositories, & T3 Thyroid.

http://www.wellnesshealth.com/default.asp?ID=2

To all ...

I was having problems with skin sensitivity when I first started injecting B12. The pain was a constant burning in the area of injection, felt kinda like a bad sunburn. Took two weeks to resolve. I originally suspected that it was from a latex sensitivity. I have since discovered that I am not the only one who experienced this with the sub-Q injections (1/2" needle). I switched to the 30 g 1" needle in the upper outer quadrant of my butt & no problems. However, I still do you use the 1/2" insulin needles to inject into my thigh, as I do not have much fat there so am hitting the muscle. The 1/2' needle did not work in my bottom, because I have more fat there & it was going into my fat layer. I now alternate between the longer needle in my bottom & the shorter needle in my thigh.

My doc. informs me that B12 should be injected into muscle because of the increased blood flow in muscles processes it more efficiently.

Tracy

15. virtuoso

virtuoso New Member

Hi, delia

I’ve been injecting myself with 4,000 mcg (methylcobalamin) everyday for the past 3+ years.

I do it at a slight angle into my right thigh and I do not feel any pain nor do I get any bruises from it.

Also, I find that it goes even better when my muscles are warmed up beforehand.

Best wishes,

Toma