B12 shots?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by hdparadis, Jun 13, 2009.

1. hdparadis

hdparadis New Member

I just found out that my B12 is extremely low and I have to start taking B12 shots. I have tried to find information on the web but all I can find is pernicious anemia. Are they one and the same? Does anyone here know if these are shots you can give yourself or if I will have to go in to get them? I have to have one a week for 4 weeks and then one a month for an unknown length of time. Any info would be apprieciated.
  2. gapsych

gapsych New Member

I was also very low in B12 and had to have weekly shots until my level was normal. I had heard that they can give you energy but the shots did not do that. However, my B12 levels have been normal since.

I do remember my doctor saying I had technically had what used to be called pernicious anemia but can't remember if it was from the B12 or my blood readings. He said it was kind of moot as now they know how to treat it and it is not a big deal.

I guess it used to be very dangerous before they had the tests available today.

ETA This is from wickepedia. Since my B12 levels are normal and do not need to keep taking B12 to keep them there, it looks like I did not have Pernicious anemia.

"Pernicious anemia (also known as Biermer's anemia, Addison's anemia, or Addison-Biermer anemia) is a form of megaloblastic anemia due to vitamin B-12 deficiency, caused by impaired absorption of vitamin B-12[1)............

While the term 'pernicious anemia' is sometimes also incorrectly used to indicate megaloblastic anemia due to any cause of vitamin B12 deficiency, its proper usage refers to that caused by atrophic gastritis and parietal cell loss only. The loss of ability to absorb vitamin B-12 is the most common cause of adult vitamin B-12 deficiency.[3]

The name of the disease comes from the historical fact that early sufferers were always detected after they were anemic (i.e., had low blood hemoglobin levels).

However, with more modern tests which specifically target B-12 absorption, the disease may properly be diagnosed before patients actually become anemic. Thus, it may be proper to refer to patients as continuing to have the disease of "pernicious anemia," even after their anemia and B-12 deficiency has been corrected by means of B-12 injections or oral B-12 megadosing.

The reason for the continuing diagnosis of disease presence, is that replacement of vitamin stores does not correct the defect in vitamin absorption which technically defines the disease. Typically, a person who has "pernicious anemia" (inability to absorb vitamin B-12 normally) will have it for the remainder of their lives, although with vitamin B-12 replacement, the disease-state may cause no further medical problems
    [This Message was Edited on 06/13/2009]
    [This Message was Edited on 06/13/2009]
  3. nink

nink New Member

My grandfather died of this when he was in his late 40's-early 50's. Apparently there was no treatment at the time.

I give my Dad his B-12 injections monthly. I think they may boost energy for a reliatively well person, but other than improving blood levels I don't think they would boost energy for someone with as many problems as we all have.

If I need B-12 injections, I will give them to myself (in my thigh muscle) at home, to save myself the hassle and expense of an office visit. I'm sure my doc would go for this.
  4. AuntTammie

AuntTammie New Member

do the sublingual vit b12s taste/smell as bad as the pill form? just wondering, bc I take the pills and am looking for an alternative way of taking it - the pills make me gag and feel very nauseous
  5. AuntTammie

AuntTammie New Member

thanks - good to know - will have to get that next time i am there
  6. frickly

frickly New Member

Our son was given a prescription for B12 shots and we were told we have to go to a compounding pharmacy for this. There are a couple in my neighborhood along with one grocery store chain. I have not called around yet but understand that some take insurance and some do not. You give them to yourself but if this is uncomfortable, I am sure you can arrange to have your doctor's nurse give them to you with the proper prescription.

I get glutithione/ATP injections every week and for about six weeks I had a friend do it who is a paramedic. I finally got the courage to let my husband do it, and he has been injecting me for about three months. B12 injections are very short needles and very easy for anyone to do with little direction.

My grandmother has always told me that B12 injections saved my fathers life when he was a child. Worth a try.

Good luck,
  7. hermitlady

hermitlady Member

I was getting monthly shots at my dr's office for awhile, then he gave me an rx for shots at home. There are different types of B12 available, I have Methylcobalamin (sp?) B12, preservative free that I get from a compounding pharmacy. It was a bit difficult to find a pharmacy to fill this, I have to order by phone and they overnight mail it to me in an insulated package w blue ice...needs to be kept in frig.

I'm not able to remember all the reasons doc told me, but he told me I needed the Methyl B12 specifically, not Cyanocobalamin B12 which is what you'll often find in vitamins. I started at 3x a wk, for about a month. Now I can use it monthly since my levels hit the normal zone. I honestly have never noticed any difference in energy or anything from the shots, unfortunately:(

FYI...These shots are to be given subcutaneously, right under the skin over a fatty area (hip, buttock, stomach, etc). The B12 is actually stored in the fat and released slowly into the system this way, it's the most efficient way for your body to use it. I have tiny insulin needles and it doesn't hurt at all, barely can feel it (for those of you who don't like needles).

It was cheaper for me to get the rx filled for home use since my copay is $25 for a month's supply...and no trips to the dr office. Much easier. Hope this foggy explanation helps....

8. hdparadis

hdparadis New Member

everyone for all the info. I'm glad to hear that self-injections are an option, I really don't want to go in for an office visit every week. Any clue as to how I find a compounding pharmacy?
  9. Jayna

Jayna New Member

Like with any other supplement or medication, it is important to start at a really small dosage and work up as your body gradually figures out it's not a threatening substance but a helping one.

My first CFS doc started at 1cc and worked up to 3, and I had a lot of side/after effects even though it was the only thing that helped my brain fog.

Now I get around 1 cc/week at home, having gradually worked back up from half. And at that low dose consistently I get pretty good effects on pain, noise/light sensitivity, and sleep depth.