B12 supplements?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by JewelRA, Aug 26, 2006.

1. JewelRA

JewelRA New Member

I just wondered how many of you take B-12 supplements and what has been your reaction to them? I am likely deficient in it simply because I take methotrexate for my JRA and that can cause a deficiency. I just took one yesterday, a pill form, 250 mg and it seemed to make me really anxious at first (my body was like, OMG what are you putting in me now? LOL) This lasted about 30 minutes and then, it was weird, I felt really good the rest of the day! Less muscle twitching, a little less brain fog (not complete, I'd say about 50%), less of that horrible twitching around my mouth and face like I am about to have a seizure or something. And my visual floaters almost went away! I don't know if it's pure coincidence or not.

If you take it, how much and how often do you take it? I know when they give the shots, you don't get them every day and you don't get them forever.

I didn't take one today, as I was a little more anxious and trembly than usual and didn't want to risk increasing that today.
  2. Pianowoman

Pianowoman New Member

There is a ton of info on B12 if you do a search. You'll likely find some helpful stuff.
    I hope that you took 250 mcg not mg! I'm sure you did.I think it only comes that way. When I started, I took 1000 mcg or 1mg. A lot of us take 5mg. It's hard to say if your anxiety etc. was from the B12 but perhaps you are wise to go slow and see.
    It has really helped me with energy, in fact, now I get the injections.

Good Luck
    Kathy
  3. JLH

JLH New Member

According to my doc, the only time you need to take B12 is if your lab work shows that you are deficient.

Since you have reason to be deficient, if I were in your shoes, I would discuss the amount needed with my doc and then have him/her give me B12 injections until my level was back up to normal. Then evaluate how much better that I felt, if any.

The injections may not make you have the same feelings as the pill form.

What does your doc suggest?
  4. JewelRA

JewelRA New Member

LOL, Kathy, you are right it is 250mcg not miligrams!

My doc didn't really have much of an opinion one way or another, just that "it wouldn't hurt me" to take a supplement. I may wait until I see him again next month and see if he will test me for a deficiency. Although, from what I've read, the "normal" parameters for B12 are much less than we actually need for normal brain function. It's all so confusing!