B12

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by quilp, Dec 2, 2006.

1. quilp

quilp New Member

A test carried out at Great Smokies revealed that my urine is very high in Methylmalonic acid. This is indicative of a deficiency in B12. Tomorrow I have an appointment with the nurse in which a blood test may confirm this finding. In truth I hope I do have a problem, because at least it's something I can do something about.
    Do any of you guys have a B12 deficiency and if so how was it diagnosed ?
    Mark
  2. Catseye

Catseye Member

I knew I had a B12 deficiency when I started shots and I felt better. I stopped getting tests done a long time ago. They've been almost totally useless so far. I just start takine supplements and when they make me feel better, I assume I was deficient in that substance.

It's always cheaper to get the supplement and try it than to get the test done. Sometimes the tests don't show anything anyway. Like my liver enzyme tests are always normal but my liver doesn't store glycogen properly. Not that it will show a deficiency in something, but it should show something's wrong. And when I take a mineral supplement I feel tons better but all my bloodwork is perfectly normal.

So I have been diagnosing myself from symptoms of different deficiencies and that's when I started improving. I was in and out of the hospital about 5 times this year, convinced I was dying everytime and they had no idea what to do. So I started taking supplements for adrenal fatigue, for example, and it cleared up in 2 months. But in the hospital, they said I was in the "normal range" for cortisol. But I don't know how that really helps considering nobody knew my "number" before I got sick. I had all the symptoms of adrenal fatigue and a shot of hydrocortisone helped me tremendously. But they still said I didn't have a problem because I was "in the normal range"! After that, I gave up with tests. karen
  3. quilp

quilp New Member

I am strongly of the opinion that these 'normal ranges' are financially driven. They create narrow ranges in order that they can dimisss many people that are genuinely ill. It is a false economy.
    I am glad you have found some improvement Karen. Examples like yours bring into sharp focus the need for message boards like these.
    Mark x
  4. deliarose

deliarose New Member

what test did u have done?
    delia
  5. mbofov

mbofov Active Member

I think most of the people on this board have a B12 deficiency. There are lots of posts about it. Mine was diagnosed by a blood test and hair analysis.

I did do B12 shots for a few years but felt no different. I also tried sublingual B12 with no apparent results. I was told that the methylcobalamin form was the best kind to take.

A few months ago I started taking something called Fortil B12 by Standard Process, and finally noticed an increase in energy. It was recommended by my chiropractor.

When I was healthier, many years ago, I would notice an increase in energy when I took sublingual B12.

Even if your blood test does not confirm the B12 deficiency, I would take it anyways and just see if you get results, like someone else posted.

Mary
  6. quilp

quilp New Member

I was aksed by the acupuncturist/TCM practitioner to try a test carried out by an american company called 'Great Smokies'. The results I have list the test as a 'metabolic Analysis Profile'. You send off a urine sample, it is anaylsed, then they tell you what is wrong and what you need to do to corect it. It cost me around $400 and for me this was a big comittment.
    It mentions so many possible remedies ranging from 2mg/4mg of copper a day to vitamin B2, B6, B12, Vitamin C, the list goes on. I intend to go through each one with an aim to being 100% one day.
    In truth I know very little about G.S, just that the practioner uses them.
    Good luck, Mark

7. quilp

quilp New Member

I think you're right. In truth I will probably end up taking vitamin B12, even if the blood test proves negative. Like everybody else here I am desperate to become 100%.
    Apparently most vitamin B12 deficiencies are down to the fact that the stomach cannot produce a substance called intrinsic factor which is needed for the B12 to be absorbed. This is called pernicious anaemia and is related to autoimmune conditions. Given that CFS is intrisically linked with a dysfunctional immune system then this seems to make sense.
    Take care, Mark
  8. Slayadragon

Slayadragon New Member

Be aware that overexposure to latex or rubber can cause extremely dangerous and life-threatening latex allergies.

People who work as medical professionals and use latex gloves often develop latex allergies.

Using shots such as b12 (where a syringe is passed through a rubber stopper) also can lead to life-threatening latex allergy.

a few shots are not dangerous, but many shots over a period of time might well lead to this problem.

This happened to me. I no longer could have _any_ shot in which the needle has to be passed through a rubber syringe, even if i were dying. i live in fear that medical personnel will use rubber gloves during an emergency situation on emergency or surgery treatments, thus causing me to be burned to death from inside. On occasion i touch disintegrating rubber, and it leaves large burn marks on my skin that take weeks to fade.

if b12 shots help in a way that supplements do not, it conceivably could be worth the risk of getting this allergy. otherwise i would stick with the sublinguals.