B5--How do you know what the right dosage is?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by razorqueen, Aug 8, 2005.

1. razorqueen

razorqueen Member

I've been reading the threads on B5, and they have really gotten my attention. Now, I phoned my local health food store, and they only carry Natures Sunshines brand of Pantothenic acid (B5) 250mgs, and they only recommend 1 per day.
    Brains and Jeanne in Canada say they take 1000 mgs! I am really interested in taking this, as is my husband. Is it because of the FM you need to take so much? How about my hubby who doesn't have that, but suffers from depression?
    If you know the answer I'd love to know
    Razorqueen
  2. razorqueen

razorqueen Member

3. Jeanne-in-Canada

Jeanne-in-Canada New Member

You may want to start at 250 mg/2-3 times daily, but their advice taht 250 mg is enough is ill informed. The RDA for this and many supplements is preposterously low, and I don't think 250 mg is enough even for a healthy person. We live in a high stress society and our food supply isn't what nature intended, not even close.

I don't find the 250 mgs are very good, I'm not familiar w/ Nature's Sunshine. You want to make well and sure any supp you take is natural sourced, no synthetics, very important, crucial even. You'll probably find you need at least 1000 mg per day, could be double to alleviate certain symptoms.

The symptoms it could possibly alleviate, from my exp. and from feedback of other's who have high-dosed on my advice too:

- memory
    - energy
    - less depression
    - far better coordination
    - relief from irritability
    - clearer thinking
    - burning sore feet

The neurotransmitter it creates, acetylcholine, is essential for nerve conduction which is why it relieves these symtoms. The vitamin, B5, itself is the most important fuel of the adrenals, which equals stress and energy relief.

In my own experience it does not cure my own form of depression, but it did for the other poster. Keep in mind she was previously getting relief from salmon oil, and when that stopped helping, then B5 was the catalyst that helped again. So, I highly recommend taking high dose salmon oil too (I take 4 grams daily). I'd start at 2 grams in divided dose. You will notice it improves bowel function, just initially though.

jeanne
  4. Jeanne-in-Canada

5. razorqueen

razorqueen Member

Jeanne and Stormskye, for the info. Jeanne, you said the NOW brand was ok?
  6. razorqueen

razorqueen Member

I found the Flora brand veggie caps, 500mg, 60/bottle for just over $10 on sale. What brand of B-complex vitamin to you take?
  7. Jeanne-in-Canada

I used to religiously only use Flora, even though they cost more than everyone, and I don't even care that they use veggie caps suitable for vetegarians, which I ain't. $10 is a very good price for them too, can't remember where you are in Cda, and what the normal price is, but if it was me I'd stock up at that price. They usually run about $13 and up, unless on sale.

Now, seems to be as good though, and cheaper, so I'll go either or. Now has 100 / 500 mg caps (not veggie though, but I don't care) for about $13, so almost half as cheap.

I'm going to experiment w/ one mre jar of Flora though, because I have been using more like 1500-2000 some days, but assumed it ws seasonal allergies and stress load. Could be a difference. I know w/ any other brand but Now, the difference was hands down, usually had to double or tripel dose for same benefits.

jeanne
  8. Jeanne-in-Canada

I'm actually not taking a separate B complex, since I found a good multi/minerals + antioxidant and liver support. It's from Prohealth's store, Cellular Support w/ Iron (I always want the iron anyway) and is twice the price for the same w/out iron, go figure. You can just click on the store and search for it, check out the ingr., impressive list for sucha price.

I was taking a B-100 complex, plus separate mineral complex, but only because they discontinued my own brand of multi I liked by Nature Made. they had one w/out PABA (hard to find btw), but are phasing out of Cda, bummer. The B-100 Complex was by Nature Made too, but I knew stocks would be running out, like w/ my favourite vitamin.

For those in the States (I know you aren't Razor) they can still be bought there and I do recommend them. Very cheap, low on B's actually, but the absorbability must have been there, and high on more minerals than most multis. That's why I like them, plus they only had rosehips as a food catalyst and bioflavinoid.

Jeanne

p.s. for those who don't like stinky B's, they weren't stinky (smelled mildly of the rosehips) and no flourescent coloured pee, just the normal yellow it should be.
    [This Message was Edited on 08/09/2005]
  9. razorqueen

razorqueen Member

Just bought 2 bottles of the Flora P.A., regular price is $12.80, I think, and bought a bottle of the Flora B Complex-100.
    Now, can I take 2 500 mg P.A. at the same time, or should I take them at different times thru out the day? This store doesn't carry much of the NOW brand, as they don't really like it.
    Oh, I live in Manitoba. I actually haven't been taking any kind of vitamins, just some calcium/mag/zinc /D supplement, when I remember.
    Didn't you say it was important that the product not be synthetic? that veggie was better? Or am I thinking of someone else?
  10. hahaha

hahaha New Member

i would advise anyone taking large doses of B5 to also take a B complex as the B vitamins work synergistically and you may run into health problems by taking large doses of one alone.
  11. razorqueen

razorqueen Member

then I am on the right track, hahaha?
  12. hahaha

hahaha New Member

If you taking large doses of one B vitamin you should take a B complex to avoid creating an imbalance.
  13. hahaha

hahaha New Member

I'd be surprised if it makes much difference for CFS, I used to take it at very high doses (6 grams a day) to combat oily skin (before I had CFS) and if anything it seemed to make me more tired. It helps you release energy from food by forcing it through your system faster but for me this meant an increased appetite! Everyone is different and the bonus is that B vits are water soluble so what you don't need should be excreted through your system.
    [This Message was Edited on 09/10/2006]