Babesia L y me ?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by dvdav2000, Sep 16, 2009.

1. dvdav2000

dvdav2000 New Member

Starting with a CFUDS/ ME diagnosis... Out of all the people on the board that has tested through Ignx and had the full report... How many as a percentage or whatever came up positive for b ab esi a. And have any others had that test backed up by a prof. that did a Quest or Labcorp follow up confirm..

A specific request but I feel some valuable data

A Dr. Sh or from Virginia has presented at ILADS, and at the reno CFIDS conf. on the Babes. angle. It is becoming a major variable. Hugely debilitating, more in the malar ia full body fatigue and gogginess arena...

Any observations or experiences appreciated.

d a ve
  2. Nanie46

Nanie46 Moderator

I have lyme (just had a FMS diagnosis for 21 years).

I tested negative for babesia, but I am being treated clinically.

Many people test negative. There are only tests to detect 2 strains of babesia.

There are at least 13 known strains, and possibly as many as 24 strains of babesia, so a negative test is not surprising.

Good babesia info on p 22-24, 26-27 of the following paper.....

Not everyone has the same symptoms. Some have air hunger, others may have migraines, and others overwhelming fatigue. Infections can vary from mild to severe.

Babesia and Lyme should never be ruled out by just a negative lab test, yet Dr's who are not lyme literate do this mistakenly all the time, leaving many people to suffer for years.

3. loto

loto Member

of probably lots of people who are still needing a thorough lyme test. Probably don't have Lyme, but something was "present" on the test I did have, but still don't have any answers. 2 doctors ignored it. Don't know who to turn to.
    Aggravating because I still don't know much about all this, and don't understand what I do read. Wish I knew if whatever was present on my test is something that's causing coinfection, and can be treated. Just hate not knowing if I need to be treated.

4. Nanie46

Nanie46 Moderator

Since Lyme and Babesia are meant to be diagnosed clinically (by history and symptoms) and not by just a test, you should see a Lyme literate MD for an evaluation.

You can find one by posting on the Seeking a Doctor board on

It is sooooo worth the time, travel and money.

5. loto

loto Member

thanks, i will check that out.
  6. loto

loto Member

i just had a thought. If my white count, etc is okay, doesn't that mean I don't have any type of infection???????
    anybody know????
  7. Nanie46

Nanie46 Moderator

No, my white count is fine, so you can't go by that.
  8. loto

loto Member

I had a feeling that wouldn't matter. How odd everything is!