Baby Girls and FM

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by JLH, Sep 3, 2006.

1. JLH

JLH New Member

New research offers strong evidence that females—-but not males—-“may be at added risk for developing fibromyalgia if, while in the womb, they were exposed to higher than normal levels of cortisol produced by their mothers in response to stress” involving life circumstances such as loss of a partner or low social support, trauma, or short gestational period.

This exposure can interfere with development of the female fetus's adrenal gland, permanently limiting its ability to produce adequate amounts of cortisol, according to a study led by Dirk Hellhammer, PhD, at the University of Trier, Germany.

Cortisol is a hormone involved in helping the body respond to stress and in immune system regulation, among other functions.

2. JLH

JLH New Member

My mother had 2 girls and 2 boys. The boys don't have fibro, but both of the girls do!

Janet
  3. Jeanne-in-Canada

Jeanne-in-Canada New Member

The FM is all about stress, reocurring theme really bugs me. It seems to me that doctors just hate to admit that they are wrong, so they are looking for a way to prove it has to be stress after all. Maybe not the neurotic woman's disease they assumed it to be all along, as its in your head. but if we can't prove that its just a psychological stress thing, then we'll find a way to prove its a physiological stress thing.

I can't believe that even as a fetus, that girls handle stress worse than boys. That's what this seems to boil down to.

there are certain things about men and woman across the board that are the same. We have the same adrenals, they run on the same hormones, same endocrines, same heart, lungs, etc. The other faulty logic in this is that FMers don't produce enough cortisol to handle stress properly. We produce plenty of cortisol, the problem doesn't ly in producing enough, but in releasing it smoothly at the right times. A huge factor in why we don't sleep at night, too much cortisol at night, often not enough during the day when we do need the energy.

Thank you for taking the trouble to post. It's good to know what they are wasting so much research dollars trying to prove, but I wish they'd take more of those funds and work on something more plausible to help us, like dysautonomia. If they could find out why so many bodily/glandular functions don't just automatically function smoothly as they should, then they'd get closer to finding ways to correct the malfunction and getting us functioning more normally.

jeanne
  4. sues1

sues1 New Member

It appears that more women have fibro then men......so this makes the report interesting and maybe there is merit.

Love, Susan
  5. lease79

lease79 New Member

My Mum was under tremendous stress whilst pregnant with me & out of two girls & a boy, I am the only one with Fibro.
    I have 3 girls & a boy. I was under tremendous stress & terribly depressed whilst pregnant with my first daughter & she is the only one exhibiting Fibro symptoms so far.
    That said, I think that there's more to it.