Babysitting and in agony

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Aberlaine, Aug 15, 2005.

1. Aberlaine

Aberlaine Member

I just want to post my feelings. I know there's no solution, but if I complain, I might be able to get through this.

My daughter has been hired to create videos for a Sam's Club meeting in Kansas City. We're at the Radisson Hotel right next to the Convention Center and have been here since Wednesday afternoon.

I'm babysitting for my 6-month old granddaughter so my daughter can do this. She has always been available for Sam's Club meetings and didn't want to turn them down just because she's breast-feeding. Sam's Club is her best client and her "bread and butter".

So I'm here taking care of the baby and she comes back every 5 hours to pump her milk. I'm slowly becoming exhausted (to the point of tears) and the pain is awful - in my joints and muscles. I will see this through (until Thursday afternoon) because I promised and because my daughter needs me.

I just want to complain to someone who understands. Everyone else would simply tell me that I should have known this would have happened and have no sympathy. I knew this would happen, too. I just need words of encouragement right now to get me through.

Thanks for listening.
  2. tandy

tandy New Member

Boy I sure sympathize with you~
    Watching small ones is a major chore!! Its tough work and don't let them tel ya any different.
    I also agreed to babysit my 10 month old nephew (I have him now) The parents wanted me 4 days a week,...but I committed to only 2 days a week. Right now my back is killing me from lifting him!
    I knew I'd have a hard time doing this but I was pursuaded to give it a try. I'm ready to fall on my face!!
    Thank God I got thru raising my own children and they are all bigger now. My youngest is 9.
    I could'nt do this daily.
    Hang in there sweets~ Maybe you can nap when the baby does?? I do. or I try anyways~
    Lord give you the strength to get thru this week~
    Hugs
    Tandy
  3. AnneTheresa

AnneTheresa Member

God bless you, Aberlaine, for helping your daughter in this way. This would be an exhausting job for anyone but, with the added challenge of illness & pain, it must be more than difficult for you. I hope your daughter understands your illness and realizes how much your helping her out is costing you.

A couple suggestions: Perhaps you can arrange for a massage therapist to come to your room to give you a massage therapy treatment (sometimes hotels like the Radisson have a registered massage therapist working from their fitness centre). Or, during a time that your daughter is available to watch her child, perhaps you could make a bee-line for the hot tub and/or whirlpool (also available in the fitness centre). Both of these options have helped me manage my pain while staying in hotels.

I appreciate your taking on this responsibility even though you knew beforehand it would cause you pain. There are times in my own life when I choose to do something I know will be difficult, cause me pain and create a need for me to recoup and recover afterward. Often these occasions are about doing something with and/or for my adult children (a mother's love knows no bounds) so I relate to your present situation.

To take on something of this magnitude is the difference between merely existing (as a disabled person) or living life to it's fullest (in spite of being a disabled person). Good for you! Please take extra good care of yourself as you care for your precious granddaughter.

God bless,
    Anne Theresa

4. Aberlaine

Aberlaine Member

I just wanted to thank everyone for their suggestions and support. I finished babysitting for my granddaughter last week and, after a tearful good-bye, headed off to my mom-in-law's home. She treated me to five days of TLC and I recovered nicely.

Would I do that again?? You bet!! Grandkids are only a certain age for a moment. Despite the flares I get, I want to be in their lives. That's why I retired. The next time I see my granddaughter she will have doubled her age - from 6 months to a year.
  5. Mother_Margaret

Mother_Margaret New Member

Aberlaine,

I'm a grandma, too, and would help out any way I can.

But since I've learned about 2nd hand exposure possibilities to the chemical I suspect for cause of CFS, FM, CFIDS ... I would suggest that you not breath in baby's eyes ... and air the room out.

At times when you feel particularly fatigued - or if there was a possibility of any exposure to 2-butoxyethanol type chemicals, I would stay away from baby.

Learn what Products YOU use that contain it

Check for what products contain 2-butoxyethanol
    (CAS Registry Number: 000 111-76-2)
    in the Household Products Data Base
    http://hpd.nlm.nih.gov/ingredients.htm
    5% concentration is not safe for home use, per one expert in product development.

Also check for the complex version Diethylene glycol monobutyl ether or 2-2-butoxyethanol
    (CAS Registry Number: 000112-34-5)

6. lenasvn

lenasvn New Member

I know how it feels, being a single parent to a very active 1 year old daughter and a busy 6 year old. It is so hard to not be able to explain why I'm in so much pain, and can't gather the energy to do something fun. It is devastating! Bless you for helping your daughter despite the pain and fatigue!