Back after a long absence from here

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by libra55, May 18, 2008.

1. libra55

libra55 New Member

Hi, I'm back after a really long absence from this board. I won't go into details; they are not necessary.

I am happy my user name and password still work.

I see so many new names I do not recognize. I do see a few old familiar names. Does anyone remember me?

By way of introduction I am 52, female, dx'd with FM in 2000 and I also have Crohn's disease which doesn't help matters. I'm married with two teenage daughters. One has mental health issues. My husband is a police officer and works long hours. I work part time in a pharmacy but I am looking for a better job. I have been at the pharmacy two years. Before that I was home. I like the job but I am on my feet all day. I ache all over. I'm exhausted by the end of the day. I need the money and can't quit.

I also go to school part time, for medical coding. I took a semester off cause I was so wiped out. I hope to go back in the fall.

My house is always a mess.....

I am lucky to have good doctors; my medical team does what they can to keep me going. The meds I take are 6-MP (an immune suppressor to control the Crohn's), folic acid, omega 3's, lorazepam for anxiety and clonazepam for sleep; I used to take an antidepressant too but it didn't do much for me so I stopped it as I felt I was too medicated. All I use is OTC pain meds right now. If I can get a good night's sleep I'm not in so much pain.

I also have two wonderful Pembroke Welsh Corgis that make my life so much fun. They are full of antics and make me laugh. I love books and movies, gardening and bird watching. I can't do much gardening any more but I do have a couple of tomato plants and some flowers. I used to have a huge garden but that's beyond me now.

Anyway I just wanted to say "Hi" and send some hugs to everyone.

[This Message was Edited on 05/18/2008]
  2. poets

poets Member

I didn't recognize your user name. I'm glad you're back! I joined back in July 07' but only started posting a few months ago. Now I'm hooked! I don't think I could do without this board. Everyone is so nice. I've come to love them all. Hope you keep posting regularly.

3. jole

jole Member

Welcome back! Yes, I remember you. I've been on the board forever, it seems, although I didn't post a lot at the beginning - 2005.

A lot of the old bunch has left, but there are a few of us still here. You might also want to try the chit chat board and see if there are any there you recognize. (Not the live chat)

Mikie is still here...she may have been a moderator when you were here last? She is now working PT and posts some.

Can't even think this morning of who else you might know.... will try again later, okay? Anyway, good to see you, and hope things go well for you!

Friends - Jole
  4. MamaDove

MamaDove New Member

Welcome Back!!!

I haven't been here much either but try to keep up with the 'important' posts...Barrowinnovations and jaminhealth have very informative posts and I have learned oodles of good info from them alone...

I know we had emailed each other a few times from the other board and then I went into 'hiding'...The so-called Crohn's was running my life while I was trying to rid it from my life...I have finally found some new hope regarding that part of my illness (which really is the ugliest part) I see you are still on 6-MP...Have you considered what the source of the inflammation and bleeding is from? That's where I have been for months now...Looking for the cause :) I refuse all the drug protocols because of what they do TO ME and again am not looking to add fuel to the fire while looking for answers...

Have you looked into 'delayed food allergy testing', it's done by Sage Medical Labs and after waiting 18 months to find someone to help me I used an out-of-state doc to order the test, in fact, I just got it back...Even though my diet was 'clean', I was still bleeding and swelling up...Having researched as to where Crohn's actually comes from, the one thing that kept sticking out to me was 'MILK'...I even thought of a new bumper sticker "Got Milk, Got Crohn's?" Silly, I know, but it led me to where I am today...This test confirmed that I have issues with Dairy, Beef, Tomoatoes, Carrots, Apples, Oats and other food items so I have begun the elimination today...

I plan on winning this war against all these darn dd's and hopefully helping others to avoid the issues we have to deal with...My fibro and cfs are tolerable, the arthritis and colitis are the buggers I wish to completely eradicate and the only link to that is inflammation, hence the dairy allergy (which is always linked to inflammation) I feel good about the choice I made not to listen to my previous docs and go on Remicade and Imuran, in fact, my new PCP confided that he used them on a certain group of people and the results were devastating (I can't say more than that) He noted that since my Polish heritage seems to shape WHO I am, I must try and adhere to the old ways of eating...Today costs me a fortune at 3 grocery stores, but I have tons to eat and it's all nutrients to begin my 'new life'...I am excited!!!

There is one more test I would like, called the CDSA 2.0, stool analysis, that could really tell us what is happening in our digestive system that is likely to link to the Crohn's symptoms...Barrowinnovations began a thread about it and it really opened my eyes...I knew these things before, but having doctors who claim there is no known cause or cure and it's nothing we do that causes Crohn's or Ulcerative Colitis had me stumped...When I decided to no longer trust their word, I began getting better...I think the majority of those who do improve do so just listening to their 'gut' and then realizing that it was their 'gut' all along...

Read Barrow's post when you have time, like I said, the best information out there...My brain is still slow from that levaquin poisoning so I cannot keep up with everything YET, but I am slowly getting there...I am not giving up or giving in, like the doctors told me to...

I am glad you found your way back...I also like the other board and those like Pete and Dave and Crazy Harry, they are getting things done...

One more thing fore I forget...Have you tried LDN? Some are talking about it here too..If this diet does not eradicate the crohn's/colitis for me, my next shot is LDN...

Glad you're here, chat soon...

5. pam_d

pam_d New Member

I DO remember your username, and it's good to see you back! It sounds like you've found the right med & supplement combination to keep your Crohn's and FM as under control as possible, not that you wouldn't still have fatigue and flares at times. But kudos to you for working to find the best treatment you can. I am also 52, but with only one teen daughter, a freshman in college.

I'm not here as much anymore; I was dx'd with leukemia 2 years ago (was treated w/chemo) and relapsed in February of this year (have to have a bone marrow transplant this time, my only option) so I tend to hang out on the leukemia boards more. But I do stop in and see my friends here from time to time, and it's always nice to see a familiar username.

Welcome back!

6. libra55

libra55 New Member

for your kind replies, it's good to see some of the old regulars still here and great to meet some new friends too. I will write more when I get a chance to; everyone have a pain-free day.

mamadove did u leave the Crohn's board too; there was some sort of a malfunction over there and my login and password didn't work any more. anyway I love being here better.
  7. Granniluvsu

Granniluvsu Well-Known Member

Greetings and welcome back to the boards. I do not remember you as I usually spend most of my time on the "other side" unless I mave some questions , etc. I've had FM, CMPS for about 25 yrs.

God bless,

8. suz9601

suz9601 Member

Welcome back Libra55..I remember you. I have a Pembroke Welsh Corgi too and we have talked about them before. They are so much fun and I don't know where I would be without mine. He keeps me company and cheers me up. Anyway, welcome back to the boards.
  9. MamaDove

MamaDove New Member

I have been over at healingwell's crohn's board with discussions about LDN...It's quite slow over there, not like here where it seems we all get excited about reading and replying...

I lurk here and there...

Glad you're back!
  10. steach

steach Member

I, too, am back after a long period of time. With working, and having four children who need to be at different places at the same time, trying to keep-up the house, laundry, dinner......I don't spend time on the computer anymore. I woke-up early this morning and decided that I would get on the board to ask for help with a couple of issues. I know that I can always count on my "fibro friends". This is such a wonderful board and the people here have so much information and great suggestions. I am so thankful that the board is still "up-and-running"!! Welcome back- this is a wonderful place to be.

11. Debra49659

Debra49659 New Member

i just wanted to send a quick hello and send hugs back:)
    i can't remember this morning when I started this forum, maybe a year?? one of those days:)

12. CockatooMom

CockatooMom New Member

I remember you! Glad to see you are back. I was gone for a bit too because of school...but I graduated and now I'm back as well!

Welcome home Michelle!

Gentle Hugz,
  13. pansylady

pansylady New Member

Hi Michelle welcome back. I am also back after a goodwhile. I have a new username

Not great at present so hoping to get help from this website.

Pansygirl. ex mjgkennedy.
  14. kellyann

kellyann New Member

I remember your user name too. I've been on here forever too! Welcome back!

Have you read any good books lately? We do have a book club on the chitchat board if you are interested.

Good to see you again!

15. CanBrit

CanBrit Member

Long time no hear. Good to see you back. I certainly do remember you, especially as we're the same age, love gardening, I have a husband with Crohn's (presently being treated with Remicade which is finally working!), and have FM. My husband and I are also New England lovers. We go to New Hampshire every summer (Rye Beach).

I've had quite a go with my job the past several months, plus I was hit on the head and shoulder by ice & snow from a building in February. Still suffering from the affects of that. Put me in one heck of a flare. Good lord, one thing after another.

But...I'm still hanging in there. I've been relocated in my job, so I stop the long commute and can take the bus from my hometown (quite rural). I'm hoping this will help me to keep going a bit longer.

Anyway.....good to see you back on the board.