Back again, need some input

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Marta608, Apr 30, 2006.

1. Marta608

Marta608 Member

Hi everyone ~ I've been gone from the board for awhile, moving (gasp), settling in, loving my new, smaller home, thinking I was getting better.....

This is the current situation: I was on 2.5 mgs. of Celexa for two years. I first began taking it for situational depression (got dumped), then the doc suggested I stay on it for the serotonin. I was feeling so much better - still have CFS but no depression and even better days as noted above - so I decided, with the agreement of my doc, to go off Celexa. Such a small dose, we agreed, was probably not doing anything any way. Sure...

I did it right, very slooooooooowly. And yet, on the fifth day without this teeny, tiny dose, I fell flat on my face. I became a classic severe, some days housebound PWC. Horrible fatigue, severe depression/apathy, feeling as if I was seeing this beautiful Michigan spring through a glass box - and really not caring, just knowing that I used to and that I should.

Simple, you say; just go back on Celexa. My concern is Dr. Cheney's "Fried Brain" theory for CFS users, plus a nurse friend who works for a psychiatrist says that he also believes that people with CFS should not take SSRIs. Something about increasing the firing of neurons.... Obviously I want to stop feeling as I do now but if I go back on the SSRI am I shooting myself in the foot for the future? HELP. And thank you. I have an appointment with my doctor on Wednesday but he knows less about CFS than I do and certainly less than some of you do.

(Hello, Ellen Comstock; yes, it's me. I hope you're doing well.)

Marta
  2. Marta608

Marta608 Member

I'm sorry, I forgot to say that I tried 5-HTP. The first day the 50 mgs. seemed to help a lot although I felt slightly jittery. The second day I was even more fatigued than before so I stopped taking it.

Maybe I should try one of the others. It's so hard to THINK....

Thanks, Prickles, for the suggestion.

Marta
  3. Marta608

Marta608 Member

I really need some help with this....

M.
  4. EllenComstock

EllenComstock New Member

Nice to see you back here again and glad you finally made the move to a smaller house. I'm doing better than I was I'm happy to say. Finally found a good FMS doctor and have been seeing him for a little over a year. He has me on a lower dose of Kadian (morphine) which has helped my sharp, shooting pains, but not the dull, achy pain, unfortunately. Still working on that.

I'm almost done working at the college for the school year. Nine more days and I'm off for three months!

I'm sorry I'm really not able to help you with your question. I've never taken Celexa and haven't had problems weaning off any meds. Hopefully someone will answer your post with some suggestions.

Take care.

Ellen
  5. NyroFan

NyroFan New Member

Marta:
    Take a little rest from moving/unpacking/adjusting/etc.
    And I mean a real good rest. If you do not feel any better find a doctor who does have some education in FM/CFS.
    Personally, I hate SSRIs, but notice I do not dwell on some things that are different: none of them go.

A new doctor might look at things through a different browser. Turn your sights to making the conditon better for yourself. So-that is a job and a half, but may be what you have to do. I know it is like starting over, but so many of us have had to do it.

Good luck in your new home,

nyrofan