Back and neck MRI finally ordered by doctor

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Danielle, Mar 22, 2006.

1. Danielle

Danielle New Member

Hello,

My insurance finally changed and my new doctor ordered mri's of my neck and back. I have been trying to get Kaiser to order them for years. They always told me that nothing could be done in my upper back.

I injured it several years ago and it's gotten progressively worse. This doctor specilizes in upper back and neck injuries. He at least wants to make sure of what's going on in the disks.

I didn't tell him anything about having fibro because it's always a problem. I didn't want to hear " Oh that explains the pain". I just want to find out if something else could be causing some of this pain.

Danielle

2. Tmprincess

Tmprincess New Member

That is sooo awesome! I know how you feel too! I've been fighting Anthem for a year and just got approved! I had the back done last year, but they would not approve the brain. That was my primary concern actually. Because of all the migraines, etc.

The dr. and i both expect them to come back clean, but it sure will give us some peace of mind!

If you've never had one before, here is some tips i was sure glad my Dr. gave me!! 1.) Take earplugs! It is sooo loud. Enough to drive any normal person insane, that alone someone who is sensitive to sounds. 2.) Take an eyepatch! It really helps to zone out, especially if your the least bit claustrophobic... and from my own experience... 3.) If vibrations bother you, don't get up immediately when they pull you out! Ask for a few minutes. The vibrations really do something to my nervous system and both times it launched me into a migraine. Take your time getting up.

This last time was worse it seemed. I'm not sure if it was because of the GAD that they had to inject because they also did an MRA of my brain. But i was so dizzy the last 10 min. that i really thought i was going to have to push the panic button. They were very sweet and accommodating though. They let me take my time getting up. They dimmed the lights for me, gave me an ice pack, and even brought me some cold water. All of which really helped. I then took about 30min to just sit in the lobby before attempting to drive home.

Good luck and hope all test are negative!
    I will find out my results on Monday!!!

TM~
  3. Cromwell

Cromwell New Member

Hope you can tolerate being in the machine for long. I hate the noise and trapped feeling is it an open one? Hope so. The newer ones give clearer pics than the closed older ones.

LOve Anne C
  4. Tmprincess

Tmprincess New Member

Cromwell~

I choose not to do the open air MRI, because they told me on the phone at time of booking that they do not produce as clear of pictures.... I would love to know for sure though, as this could be just there way of pursuing people to choose the older machines. The open-air probably stays pretty booked, and they probably have less of them...

Things to make you go... huummmm!

TM~
  5. Danielle

Danielle New Member

For all your suggestions. I've been in the tube before. I had one done for my migraines. I took 2 tranquilizers and a vicodin before I went in. I also kept my eyes closed the whole time and wore earplugs. It really wasn't a bad experience at all for me. I do have to be in there longer though.

My back has been hurting so bad lately. I just feel that the old injury is getting worse or that a nerve is being pinched in there. Maybe it is just fibro but I have the right to have it checked out like everyone else.

Kaiser kept telling me that nothing could be done. I went to OHSU. It's a big University hospital in Oregon. I'm going in for the MRI's on Saturday. At Kaiser I would have to wait months even for an appointment. I should know something by tuesday.

Danielle
  6. Cromwell

Cromwell New Member

He told me that many of the new open machines are Teslar 3 and the pics they produce are better than the older like ten/15 year olf closed machines produce.

I think you should just ask how old the machine is.

Love Anne C
  7. Tmprincess

Tmprincess New Member

Thanks for the tip!
    I really should have caught onto that when they were so quick and eager to share that open-air did not produce as clear of scans. Usually, when someone suggest something like that, there's often a reason behind it! ; )

I sure do miss my quick mind of the past : (

TM~