Back Disks

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by dluann, Sep 9, 2006.

1. dluann

dluann New Member

I have degenerated and bulging disks. Is this characteristic of Fibro?
  2. minkanyrose

minkanyrose New Member

i HAVE FIBROMYALGIA AND DISKS DEGENERATIVE AND BULGING TOO ANY ONE ELSE KNOW
  3. Mini4Me

Mini4Me New Member

between my degenerative disc disease and fibro. The ddd came on first, then the fibro and chronic myofascial pain.
    Interesting topic...
    Mini
  4. Lolalee

Lolalee New Member

I was wondering if any of you who has disc problems, has this affected your legs or your ability to walk?

thanks,

Lolalee
  5. happycanuk

happycanuk New Member

I had back surgery 22 years ago and have had degenerative discs for at least 30 years. No FM, until about 8 yrs. ago. I say this, because I have ALWAYS had pain, but hadn't been diagnosed with FM.

Since so many people (I would venture to say in the 90%) have back problems, that FM is caused from the spine in some way.

I have been going to an Upper Cervical Chiropractor for the past 4 years and both the OA and the FM are so much better. I still get flares, but NOTHING like it was. You can check this type of chiro out at www.nucca.org

As for pain in your legs when you have degenerative discs. Some people NEVER experience any pain with degenerative discs. If it is a herniated disc, or a degenerative disc that is pressing on a nerve, especially the Siatic nerve, your legs are very weak and painful. You have to careful, as the leg can give out at any time and you could fall.

6. BBall

BBall New Member

I am scheduled for my second cervical disk operation on Sept. 18. My first was about ten years ago. Since then, I have been diagnosed with CFS and fibro. Needless to say, I am pretty messed up.

In my first surgery, they used bone from a tissue bank. I have wondered if in some way my immune system has reacted to this foreign tissue. I've asked docs about this, but no one gives me a straight answer. This time they are going to use my own bone. I'm afraid that putting foreign tissue into my body again would be the last straw for me.

Having said this, I also think there may be a "chicken-egg" question here. My CFS/fibro is characterized by progressive muscle weakness. And the muscles in my neck and back are really bad. So, I wonder if the cervical disk problems aren't the result of the muscles weakening to a point where they can't hold my spine in place any longer.

I wish some researcher would take up these questions.
  7. twitcher

twitcher New Member

Yes, my herniated cervical disk did cause me trouble walking. I had spasticity, weakness, numbness etc....I had a fusion last year which is what set off this supposed fibromyalgia. I personally think the spine problem sets off the fibro. I also have thought about the cadaver bone graft in my neck. I just don't know.
  8. Chelz

Chelz New Member

I have bulging and degenerative disks in my back discovered after much pain and an MRI.

I also have myofascial pain, TMJ, along with the fibro. Interesting question, must be a link somewhere. Hugs, Chelz.
  9. JLH

JLH New Member

I would say "No" that it is not characteristic to fibro.

However, many of us do have them. I just personally believe that we can not contribute all of our problems to fibro.

I also have degenerated and bulging disks, as well as a bunch of other back problems.

Lolalee asked if anyone with disk problems had problems with them affecting their legs or their ability to walk? Well, I know I have a pinched nerve between L4-L5-S1 and it affects my leg by making it numb as well as my big toe and the toe next to it numb, too.

With this pinched nerve (and the intense pain it causes) and leg issues, it does affect my ability to walk, as well as when my back goes into spasms.

I also have severe arthritis in my hips which causes problems in walking.

Janet