Back from break...more bad news from dr.

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by nerdieduckie, Jan 11, 2007.

1. nerdieduckie

nerdieduckie New Member

Well, I took off a while ago. Since New Year's Day it seems.

The little break from the computer seemed to help, but now I am ready to come back LOL

I finally taught myself that I cannot deal with my friend's problems and only be there for her and not try to think about them too much. That helped too.

PLUS there is Prom on the horizon and I've been all excited about getting ready for that.

But anyway.

I had my first appointment with my fibro doctor of the year on the 8th. My AM cortisol is still extremely high and my fasting insulin isn't where it should be.

He is sending me to an endocrinologist to be evaluated/tested for Cushing's.

Fun fun. I don't know much about this so I'm just a little bit like "AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!"

If anyone here has experience with this, I'd like to know a little more about it and what exactly I'm going to have to go through.

But,

I'm baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaack ;)
    Hugs all.
  2. poodlemommy

poodlemommy New Member

A few years ago I went to a hormone doctor and went on bio identical hormones. He also recommended I take a DHEA supplement. I ordered it from a U.S. health food chain and it made such a difference. DHEA works on helping the adrenal gland which is the cause of excess cortisol. I had amazing results with it and also lost weight on it. Might be worth a try to get your hands on some and see what happens.
    poodlemum
  3. poodlemommy

poodlemommy New Member

just wanted to add that I agree with the posting about talking to your doctor before taking DHEA. I just mentioned it as it worked for me but I did take it under the advise of a doctor. Mention DHEA to him and see what his thoughts are. good luck
    poodlemum
  4. hugs4evry1

hugs4evry1 New Member

My sister was recently dx with Cushings and although it's a difficult diagnosis, she is doing better with medications.

Hers was caused by the steriods she took for a long time due to her back problems. (She had a spinal surgery that was botched a few years ago and had to be repeated)

I really don't know much about the disease except to say that while she finally has a diagnosis, on the proper meds she's doing great.

She's now taking thyroid meds, Bieta for Diabetes...and I haven't heard her sound so good in years.

Let's wait and see what the doc says.....I often think that a good diagnosis isn't necessarily a bad thing, at least with it, they can begin to treat the symptoms properly.

Hugs,

Nancy B
  5. boltchik

boltchik New Member

Hi, sorry you have to go through testing for something new. Hopefully, you will get the help you need to start feeling better. :) Glad you are looking forward to your prom, that sounds fun! Keep us updated on your condition. Hope you had a good day! Kim :)
  6. nerdieduckie

nerdieduckie New Member

Does the asthma medication advair count as a steroid? I was thinking it did and I have been on it for several years... If so, could that be part of my problem? What happens if it is though? Then what asthma meds do I take?

I can't say I have ever heard of DHEA before but maybe it will come up at the appointment. We got one on January 30th. I have to admit I am a bit terrified just because I don't like doctors much...especially ones that may involve needles...but at least if I go maybe we will figure something out.

Yupyup, Prom, I am all excited :D
    We still have to email my counselor and find out if I am legal to go or not though, since I am not a full time student. Mum thinks that I should be allowed to go, but if not then we'll have an unprom on our patio.

The only stuff I could find out about Cushing's was that it involves the adrenals and can be treated with medication OR surgery...I'm hoping for the medication option.

Soooo, thank you all for your replies! Hope you all are having good days.
    Jen
  7. Slayadragon

Slayadragon New Member

My experience with endocrinologists (at least a few years ago) is that they didn't believe that DHEA is important for anything.

On the other hand, I found DHEA (which I used when I first got sick) to be the single most useful thing that I've done for my health.

If the traditional-type doctors don't test you for it, I would highly recommend that you find someone who will.

8. nerdieduckie

nerdieduckie New Member

When you said testing for DHEA, did you mean like a blood test? The test I had run was DHEA + AM Cortisol so I was wondering if that was what you were talking about.
  9. nerdieduckie

nerdieduckie New Member

Yeah, I read about the surgery with the adrenal tumors and I am hoping that is not what I have lol.

Needles. EEK!
  10. poodlemommy

poodlemommy New Member

I was tested by blood work. When my hormone doctor did the hormone tests he also checked the adrenal glands. He said I was at rock bottom and suggested the DHEA. It was amazing. I had energy, I lost weight and I felt emotionally stable again. It was amazing for me. I dont take it now as its just a short term thing. I keep an eye on the level now and should it go low again I will go back on the DHEA. I was under tremendous stress a few years back which was why my adrenal gland was so bad. Now things have settled down I have very little stress today. I also have found better ways to manage my stress which is so important with fibromyalgia. good luck with your tests and treatments.
    poodlemum