Back from Georgia, job is not what I want after all

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by griswoldgirl, Sep 13, 2002.

1. griswoldgirl

griswoldgirl New Member

They are very understaffed and have 12 year old equipment. My interview process started this morning with a flight to Atlanta at 6 am, got to Atlanta and Russ(the new boss) drove me to Blue ridge Georgia. Cute liitle town and the people that work there are great.

Problem is the ultrasound machinge they use is 12 years old and the probe weighs about 7 pounds, my shoulder and neck would kill me from it. I spent most of the day in an uncomfortable chair in Russ's office while he worked because they were short. The OB doctors that were suppose to meet me never showed up at all. Their health care plan is awful. BCBS of Georgia and can only use PPo docs-go out of the list and NO coverege-that is rediculous, plus it is much more costly than what I had.

Georgia is a right to work state which means you have no job protection, they can fire you without cause, no system in place at all. He said he would allow me to work the 32 hours but if he needed me I would have to work more,plus much more call that I anticipated.

He came on board a few months ago in January and has great ideas and wants to buy new equipment but it is run by a coorporation who is not willing to spend the money and he told me that he could not promise when he could get a new machine or even the chair for that matter.

My gut reaction is a resounding No! I will wait and see what the offer is but I have found out about a couple other jobs within driving distance of where I live-so I think after the surgery I will start sending out applications and resumes on my own. Through watching my husband get jobs through recruiters, usually if they are using recruiters they are desperate.

Any who-my knee and my body hurts like you know what and my plane was an hour late-it is midnight almost and I have been up since 3:30 am-been through security points where they made me take off my brace and have walked way too much today-I plan to sleep till noon.

all the doors are shut and I know one will open soon with a job that is suited for me.

cathy
  2. griswoldgirl

griswoldgirl New Member

They are very understaffed and have 12 year old equipment. My interview process started this morning with a flight to Atlanta at 6 am, got to Atlanta and Russ(the new boss) drove me to Blue ridge Georgia. Cute liitle town and the people that work there are great.

Problem is the ultrasound machinge they use is 12 years old and the probe weighs about 7 pounds, my shoulder and neck would kill me from it. I spent most of the day in an uncomfortable chair in Russ's office while he worked because they were short. The OB doctors that were suppose to meet me never showed up at all. Their health care plan is awful. BCBS of Georgia and can only use PPo docs-go out of the list and NO coverege-that is rediculous, plus it is much more costly than what I had.

Georgia is a right to work state which means you have no job protection, they can fire you without cause, no system in place at all. He said he would allow me to work the 32 hours but if he needed me I would have to work more,plus much more call that I anticipated.

He came on board a few months ago in January and has great ideas and wants to buy new equipment but it is run by a coorporation who is not willing to spend the money and he told me that he could not promise when he could get a new machine or even the chair for that matter.

My gut reaction is a resounding No! I will wait and see what the offer is but I have found out about a couple other jobs within driving distance of where I live-so I think after the surgery I will start sending out applications and resumes on my own. Through watching my husband get jobs through recruiters, usually if they are using recruiters they are desperate.

Any who-my knee and my body hurts like you know what and my plane was an hour late-it is midnight almost and I have been up since 3:30 am-been through security points where they made me take off my brace and have walked way too much today-I plan to sleep till noon.

all the doors are shut and I know one will open soon with a job that is suited for me.

cathy
  3. garyandkim

garyandkim New Member

closes another opens. Sleep well and rest this weekend. Good luck on the surgery and good hunting for that job.

Take care, Kim and Gary
  4. dolsgirl

dolsgirl New Member

I understand how you feel. I was lead to believe that finding an appropiate job in Florida would be a piece of cake, since I'm a nurse. They say anyone in the medical industry can do well in Florida. I didn't find it that way at all. They pay 40% less than I had been making in Massachusetts for the exact same job. I was renting a home down there, as our sale of our home in MA fell through and a relative took it off our hands (promising us the equity) & has chosen to NOT give us the equity in the house when it has sold and I know it has. So, we're out several tens of thousands of dollars and we were paying as much to rent a house and still had our bills. And they wouldn't give my husband a job and he had unbelievable references and a terrific work history....? if it was because he is a Yankee male? I don't want to believe that, but, I've been hearing that's the only possible reason. The health insurance down in Florida, (I don't know about other states), they don't cover your spouse as well as you. They don't offer too many choices for health insurance. It was a horrible experience and bled all of our money out of us that we had.

We cashed in our 401K's and made it to Washington state & are hoping that things will be better here. We're house sitting for my sister & brother-in-law for free, so that helps. Looking for jobs here now.

Cathy, I ALWAYS say to stay with your gut feeling. It's always correct. Start looking near your home and what will work best and fit YOU best. I'll be thinking of you. dolsgirl
  5. JannyW

JannyW New Member

but a position is out there waiting for you, I'm sure.

Have you considered moving to the Charlotte area? I'll check the paper for ads, if you want ... or you can access the Charlotte Observer online (not sure how many classifieds they list on the Website tho). Just let me know what you're looking for.

My therapist suggested that I read the classifieds to "see if anything appeals" to me ... not that I really think I can go back to work. I'm getting pretty frustrated with the idea that you're only worth something if you're working. Sheesh!!

Jan ^v^
  6. fibolady

fibolady New Member

has lots of hospitals and doctors and is booming. i would x out that georgia job. get plenty of rest, you've done a lot!

warm regards, fibolady
  7. teach6

teach6 New Member

They say if something sounds to good to be true it probably is. Well, this is a hard way to learn that lesson. I'm sorry you had to go all the way down there to find out that he left out some major details about the wonderful job. I guess he figures if he tells the truth no one will come!

Hang in there. You've made it this far, I know something will come through for you at the right time.

Hugs,
    Barbara

[ advertisement ]