BACK HOME AFTER MY 20-HOUR SLEEP STUDY

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by BxGirl, Sep 2, 2005.

1. BxGirl

BxGirl New Member

Well, I just got home from my 20-hour Sleep Study. I got there at 8:00 p.m. last night. Got into bed and then the tech came in to "hook me up". First he said I'd go home in the morning and I said "What????" The doctor told me I'd be there all day (today).

He said if they found I had sleep apnea, that I'd go home in the morning. I didn't think I had sleep apnea. Well, I slept all night like a baby. Woke up at 6:00 a.m. and knew I hadn't been hooked up to a C-PAP machine and that I'd be there all day.

They took the leads off of my legs and the belt off from around my waist. A new tech came in to take over for the day part.

Basically I was to stay awake and every two hours they would have me "go to sleep". I had the first study, fell asleep and then was woken up for breakfast. I read a bit, listened to my CDs and then did the same thing over and over, until 4:00 p.m.

I stayed in the bed all day reading and relaxing until it was time to go home. I should get a call from the sleep doctor's office some time next week.

I'm relieved I don't have sleep apnea. My Restless Leg Syndrome is much better since I've been taking Mirapex. I just wonder know what the results are.

I did have a problem with hip pain, since I hadn't taken any Magnesium for 2 days. I was in a lot of pain from that and the tech gave me some Ibuprofin, which was all they had. It's very hard to stay in a bed all day with hip pain. That's why I'm big on exercise for my pain.

Anyway, I'm home now and just wondering what the diagnosis is.

BxGirl
  2. lovethesun

lovethesun New Member

I bet that this really messes with your sleep cycle for a while. My doctor finally found something that will make me sleep for 6 hours with very little dreaming.That's more than I've had for a year and a half.Good luck.Linda
  3. sheried

sheried New Member

I'm so glad you don't have sleep apnea. Hopefully, you won't have anything else to worry about. Sorry about your hip pain--I know how that feels. I have hip an knee pain so bad at night.

Good luck!

Hugs,
    Sherie
  4. BxGirl

BxGirl New Member

I had to take a Vicodin last night - I was in so much pain. My hip still hurts. I think it'll take a while before it feels better. I took Magnesium last night but I need to take it steady for a few days before it starts to work. I might take some liquid Magnesium today to try to speed up the process.

I am SOOOOO glad I don't have sleep apnea! The thought of having to wear a C-PAP machine freaks me out! I can't wait to get the doctor's report!

BxGirl
  5. abbylee

abbylee New Member

If memory serves (which it often doesn't), that is the test for Narcolepsy. Did you dream when you slept?

I think if you go into REM within 5 minutes of "going to sleep," then you have Narcolepsy. (Please don't quote me on that, but I think it's correct.)

You were probably tested for alpha intrusion during the night as well.

I hope you'll let us know when you get your results.

I love this group, and have grown attached to all of you so, of course, I want to know what they find.

Perhaps the results of this study will give your doctors a direction in which to treat you.

Cross your fingers that you'll have a clear diagonsis that will come with a treatment plan. I'm crossing mine now.

abbylee