Back On Hormone Replacement Therapy

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Mikie, Mar 5, 2003.

1. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Well, ever since seeing Dr. Atkins on Donahue, I have tried to go off my small dose of Estrogen and Progestin. Since being on the Synthroid, I no longer have heart palpitations when I don't take the hormones, but I can't stand the sweating. I don't have hot flashes, ever, but I noticed that I was just sweaty and feeling warm all the time off the hormones. It doesn't keep me awake because I take enough Klonopin to keep me asleep, but the night sweats could be interferring with my Level Four sleep.

There is only one kind of deodorant/antiperspirant I can use while on the Guai treatment and it doesn't work as well as my old stuff. Not only was I sweating, but I stank as well. It's back to the hormones for me.

Love, Mikie
  2. karen55

karen55 New Member

taking my hormones. I take injections of estrogen delatestryl every 3-4 weeks. They've worked well for me and I've been taking them since 1995.
  3. totteacher

totteacher New Member

I think the whole hormone thing is so confusing. I have been on HRT for about 3 yrs. I still had hot flashes and night sweats for about 11/2 yrs of that time. Lately, all that had calmed down until now. I take progesterone 12 days of the month every third month and that time is now. I have noticed a marked increase of the hot flashes and getting hot at night and kicking off the covers. I am going to see my gynocologist later this month and I am seriously thinking of going off the hormones. Maybe I am wrong but from what I have read, after 5 yrs of hormones it does more harm than good.

So what is the story for people with FM? Anyone know? Hormones or no hormones--that is the question.

Take care,Totteacher
  4. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I've been on HRT for years. I was on a huge dose when I was in the throes of perimenopause. Once the periods stopped, I have slowly cut down to a min. dose now. My Mom was taking Estrogen at age 92. She felt much better on it.

I will have to say that I think also taking the Synthroid and human growth hormone stimulant has also made a difference.

Love, Mikie
  5. JP

JP New Member

my hormones are such a mess I am sobbing every other minute these past few days...my doctor gave me birth control, of which I have not started. I have never taken hormones and my quality of life is in the dumper right now. I have a regular cycle and my hormones are such a mess that my doc and my rheumatologist are triple checking...waiting for the third lab right now. What to do??? I am glad that you get better quality of life with your hormones...it gives me hope!

Take care,
    Jan
  6. JLH

JLH New Member

I had a partial hysterectomy(uterous only removed)about 22 yrs ago when I was 30. Around 40, I went on Premarin 0.625 mg. (estrogen only). A year ago I had my GYN bump my dose up to 0.9 mg.to alleviate some symptoms. Then all the news out (which is only for the estrogen AND progesterone), so I asked the doc to lower it back to the 0.625 mg. even though I was not taking the HRT with progesterone. He told me that there is now a Premarin out that is only 0.3 mg. and I could try it and see how it worked. Well, two months has been enough of it! The hot flashes and sweating is not for me either! I called today for a new script for the 0.625 mg which I will pick up tomorrow morning. If it doesn't help, then I'm back up to the 0.9 mg!!! If there are any problems taking the Premarin down the road, I guess I'll deal with them then. Right now, I need to be as comfy as possible. I also use the Estrace gyn cream--it really helps with dryness.
  7. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

The mix of estrogen in Estrace more closely mimics a woman's natural mix than does the estrogen in Premarin. I was originally put on Premarin and had to keep increasing the dose until the doc wouldn't go any higher. He switched me to Estrace and I have stayed with it ever since.

I am also not thrilled with what I have read about how the horses are treated by the company producing Premarin.

I know that some here have had their hormone cream made up especially for them, and I think that is probably the best although, I imagine dosing is a little more hit and miss than when taking a pill. Our bodies probably don't crank out an exact dose anyway, so it's probably not a problem, just a matter of a little trial and error.

I feel so much better now, not feeling hot all the time and sweating. I may be carrying a little extra weight, but at least I'm not chubby, sweating like a pig and smelling like one too. Ah, I have such a way with words :)

Love, Mikie
  8. karen55

karen55 New Member

I can SO relate!

Karen
    [This Message was Edited on 03/07/2003]
  9. dawnie1960

dawnie1960 New Member

I'm at work right now, in southern Ontario, temperature outside is -1 C (or 32F for those still on imperial). Now, minus one makes for quite a nice day out here!! But, I've had to run outside to cool down 3-4 times already! The other secretary is laughing at me ( she's been through it already!)

Ever see the commercial on TV where the woman goes outside in the middle of a blizzard wearing shorts,T-shirt and boots to take the cover off the central air unit????

Can we relate or what!!!

heehee...hoo boy...here comes another one......bye...