Back Pain and Bowel Motility Disorders

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by shar6710, Nov 29, 2006.

1. shar6710

shar6710 New Member

Found this in my search to find an answer to my current bowel problems. Maybe it's old news but I found it interesting and thought it might apply to some of you FMers:

Low back pain linked to bowel motility disorders
    OB/GYN News, Nov 15, 2005 by Mitchel L. Zoler

PHILADELPHIA -- Patients with low back pain had a significantly greater prevalence of bowel motility disorders, compared with patients with chronic shoulder pain in a study with 98 patients.

"Our findings suggest that nervous pathways involved in relaying pain in the lumbar spine affect the transmission of sensations from the bowels, causing bowel motility disorders" such as diarrhea, constipation, or bloody stools, Sergio A. Mendoza-Lattes, M.D., reported in a poster presentation during the annual meeting of the North American Spine Society.

The findings suggest that patients with low back pain should be assessed for bowel motility disorders, concluded Dr. Mendoza-Lattes and his associates at the University of Iowa in Iowa City.

A link between low back pain and bowel motility disorders was suspected because many symptoms of gastrointestinal disorders result from altered sensory perception in the bowels. Somatic afferent neurons firing in the spinal cord can inhibit viscerosomatic neurons in the dorsal horn from responding to stimuli. A prolonged somatic irritant, such as low back pain, that acts on afferent fibers from the gastrointestinal tract might inhibit sensations of visceral pain and lead to bowel motility disorders.

2. shar6710

shar6710 New Member

I'm not sure that this applies to me. Most of my pain is in neck and shoulders. I think my back hurts because of motility problems not vice versa.

Do you think it helps explain why IBS seems so common in you FMers?

I do think I have altered sensory perception in the bowels and possibly some kind of smooth muscle weakness if that's possible. Seems to take a lot of effort with little results.

I had a similar problem with my bladder many years ago. Told my doctor I thought I'd forgotten how to pee!

I've gotten a little better today. I decided that all this bloating couldn't just be because I'm literally full of crap. I took some mylanta gas even though I don't feel gassy and that helped with the pressure. My very DH also stopped at the store on his way home from the airport and bought me some Probiotics. They work for my horses so hopefully they'll help me too.

I don't think the Mirapex is the sole cause either as the digestive issues really began when I crashed at my Dr appt some weeks ago. They've just continued to get worse.

Overall today I feel better because I went back to my full dosage of trazodone and got a good night's sleep!

Shar
  3. shar6710

shar6710 New Member

Thanks for the input.

I'm a little confused is the problem that the stomach doesn't empty fast enough or too fast?

I don't have indigestion, I'm not burping, nor have any reflux. I do look like I have a volleyball in my pants! I had also noticed in the last few weeks that my food didn't seem to be digesting well (can often be recognized in the toilet). I was going to bring this up at my next dr appt.

My bowels seem to be pretty quiet, not a good sign in other mammals. I'd hate to think what they'd be doing to me if I were a horse! I am uncomfortable but I wouldn't say I'm in pain. But then again a nurse at the ER once told my DH I had a high pain tolerance...

It's also annoying that I'm still hungry! And my blood sugar keeps crashing everyday if I try not to eat much! AAAAARGH!

I'm up to 600 mg mag (I'll take 700 today) and 1000 vit C. Anybody know if potassium helps? I hate to do it but maybe I should skip my Mirapex and see if that helps.

Shar
  4. shar6710

shar6710 New Member

I don't think that is my problem.

My stomach seems to be fine. Unless it could be emptying too fast? It really seems to be my bowels not wanting to move at all. And yet when they finally do my stool are soft not dry.

I did have a little luck awhile ago (thank God) think that will keep me from exploding. I am beginning to hear some rumbling and gurgling and am hopeful that is a good sign.

Thanks for trying to help:)

Shar