Back pain every morning no matter where I sleep...

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by ldoty, Jul 15, 2008.

1. ldoty

ldoty New Member

I don't know if anyone else has this problem but I am hoping someone can help me. It doesn't matter where I sleep (bed, sofa, recliner), I wake up with a back ache every morning. It is all over back pain. From my lower back to my neck. I can hardly move. I feel as though someone has repeatedly hit me on my back throughout the night. My bed is about 4 years old and I haven't slept in it more than 30 times. I have a pillowtop and have added a 4 inch sleep foam with 3inch microfiber topper. Thinking it was only my bed, sofa or recliner causing this I tried sleeping on other beds, sofas and recliners but still have the same result. I have gone bed shopping (which is a nightmare in it's self due to walking and standing) but am so afraid that I am going to end up with a bed that doesn't help, I just leave the store. I am at my wits end. Any suggestions?
  2. marti_zavala

marti_zavala Member

Do you have any back issues that you know of?

If you decided to get an MRI, make sure to get one with contrast. Some ailments don't show up unless you do contrast.

3. Peace77

Peace77 New Member

my down pillow goes under my neck or my cervical spine acts up 2) the second one is also down and goes in between my legs and the 3) third one I throw my arm over and hold.
    Do you have DDJ in back and any other disc problems. I have protrusions in cervical spine and lumbar spine. My back is the first to go.
    I can't go without my down pillows, I take them when I'm away from home too.
    Gentle hugs,
  4. findmind

findmind New Member

Boy can I relate! it is terrible to think you've had a decent night's sleep and wake up feeling like a Mac truck has hit you.

I do the same as jamminhealth; I stretch very gently before I get out of bed. If I'm very very bad, before I get up I turn over with a firm pillow beneath my pelvis and rest (and sometimes fall right back to sleep!) for 1/2 hour or so.

I sleep with my legs way out to the side of the full bed, with a pillow beneath my lower legs, taking pressure off the hip, which helps.

Most important is the gentle stretching, including pulling my knee towards my chest (gently!), then one knee after the other to the side, then straghten leg out and lift as far as is comfy only, hold for a count of 10 (don't forget to breathe deeply while doing these).

Hope you can find some of these help you...

5. kriket

kriket New Member

back pain 24/7 here too. No matter what bed I sleep on. I have tried jacuzzi tubs,massages(reg) and chiropractic visits,muscle rubs,etc. I just think fibro has its own pain and sometimes nothing helps.

6. moonieray

moonieray New Member

I have degenerative disc disease and spinal stenosis. Every morning I wake up dizzy and in pain, and have to sit on the edge of the bed for a few minutes till things stop spinning. Then I get up and take my pain meds with coffee and go back to bed till they kick in. I can only sleep in one position. I miss being able to sleep on my sides or face down.
  7. baanders

baanders New Member

I've had the same issue. I wonder if it is spinal stenosis. If so, I need an MRI with contraast to confirm this diagnosis so I can get thhe proper treatment. After 7 years of horriffic pain, I can't go on. I pray you and I find some answes and relief.

8. xphile

xphile New Member

I have insomnia so it's hard to fall asleep in the first place for me, but once I do fall asleep I awake with the most severe muscle spams and aching spine I could dream of! It doesn't matter what amount of time I sleep either. I suspect that it may be caused from my scoliosis among other things. With the arthritis in my neck if I lay in the wrong position I get a tremendous headache and neck pain. I have a Serta mattress right now and I tell you something.....I'd like to turn those Serta sheep into lamb chops!!!

9. ldoty

ldoty New Member

I don't have any other dx except FM. I have never had an MRI for my back or any other part of my body. Do you think I should ask my doctor for one?
  10. Beadlady

Beadlady Member

with a heating pad? Not on high but just about medium.

My pad turns off after an hour but I know I turn it back on during the night.
  11. BlueSky555

BlueSky555 New Member

I have terrible, lumbar spinal problems, causing more pain in the am than in the remainder of the day. I dread going to bed at night, dreading the thought of waking to that awful pain. The ONLY thing that works for me is to walk slowly to the bathroom, then have meds and coffee, wow! What a way to begin each new day.

I can tell you that I slept on a hard mattress for awhile, then changed to the sofa, and now have a new, very soft, mattress that feels great to lie down on and go to sleep on but no help to the back.

I have come to the conclusion that, due to no "fix" for my back, I will have to endure this pain for the rest of my life. I'm sure probably 1/2 of it is the FM.

I wish I had a better answer for you,

12. lrning2cope

lrning2cope New Member

was a soft-side heated water bed (baffled kind). It was so wonderful to really sleep and wake up refreshed.

Unforunately , my ex and his wife sleep on it now. I can't afford another one.