Back pain treated or cured by antibiotics?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by KerryK, May 8, 2013.

1. KerryK

KerryK Member

I thought this might be interesting to this group. Maybe there will be similarities with other chronic pain conditions.
  2. IanH

IanH Active Member

Makes very interesting reading and will apply to many on this forum.
  3. kbak

kbak Member

I saw that in the news. So interesting. Kind of like after all these yrs. they decide ulcers cured with antibiotics. But bacteria in the back. Hope they tell us a lot more about it!

Take care,
  4. IanH

IanH Active Member

this is so interesting is that we know that many people with FM have also got progressive spinal disc degeneration and up with surgery to ameliorate the pain, with little success.

This is why I think that many people with FM should take hard look at this work and question their doctor as to the applicability to them. It is known that FM is linked to increased immune-infection response usually in the form of raised IFN-gamma and some pro-inflammatory cytokines. Such markers are typical of infection.

In addition about 40%+ cases of FM also fit the criteria for ME/CFS which may develop because of the chronic infection and raised immune profile in response to that infection. Clearly from this work the infection does not go away by itself and chronic low grade inflammatory response is the underlying hallmark of ME/CFS.

When you put these things together it is highly likely that many with FM have infection such as identified in this study, which used amoxicillin and clavulanate successfully.

There is no reason why a person with FM and progressive disc degeneration should not be on this treatment.
    [This Message was Edited on 05/10/2013]
  5. deepak

deepak Member

There is this book called the arthritis breakthrough and also a website called Roadback which talks of similar things.

Many auto immune illnesses like RA and scleroderma etc getting cured by extended low dose ABX use.

Some very interesting reviews on amazon.