Back pain when on the computer

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by klarry, Jun 24, 2003.

1. klarry

klarry New Member

Does anyone know what is a comfortable way to use the computer? We have a laptop, but it's hard to find a comfortable way to use it. Now that I'm hooked on all my fellow FM sufferers, I need to find a way to use the computer without causing severe lower back pain. Yesterday was awful. I clearly overdid. I would appreciate any suggestion.
  2. Manwithfibro

Manwithfibro New Member

And the only thing that helps is frequent stretch breaks
    and walks.

It is really tough on a busy day at work.
  3. adageek

adageek New Member

I use my laptop by sitting in a recliner, reclined with a pillow in my lap and set the laptop on the pillow. Not ideal for typing but OK for surfing. See also my post on "Office chairs are a pain". Sitting up straight for long periods causes back strain no matter what kind of a chair you have.
  4. catgal

catgal New Member

Hi Klarry~~Besides FM/CFS and other ailments, I also have degenerative disc disease in my back which causes me a great deal of pain all the time--and especially if I sit long at the computer.

However, I have a thickly padded, full chair pad that heats, vibrates, and massages from the top of the chair to the bottom, and it helps alot. You can use any of the different controls to suit your needs. Plus, frequent stretching breaks helps. I have one of these chair pads in my office and on the passenger side of my car that I use when my mate drives.

I got them at Wal-Mart for about $35 I think. They've been well worth the money to me.

Best Wishes to you, Carol....
  5. Nowheregirl16171

Nowheregirl16171 New Member

I will be sitting here at the computer, and out of nowhere, I get back pain. I dont know why this happens either. I was thinking it might be the chair, but I sit in the same chair to eat dinner and it doesnt bother me. So I really dont know.

[ advertisement ]