Back to Narcotics...

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by shari1677, Feb 16, 2010.

1. shari1677

shari1677 New Member

Well everyone - thanks for your thoughts and prayers when I decided to detox in January. It was pure hell, but I got through it.

I gave it a good try. I had pain, but attributed it to rebound pain. Lived through it.

I tried Ben Gay, didnt work.
    I got an anti-inflammatory, didnt work.

I cant work in pain. I just cant.

So I had to make a choice. Pain - or narcotics.

I had to choose least at this point in time.
  2. quanked

quanked Member

shari1677. I read your posts as you went along and silently wished you success. I cannot blame you for making the choice the serves your best interest. Survival sometimes requires tough and unpopular (with those who do not understand these dd's and what they cost us) decisions.

I do hope that your pain is now diminshed and that your days are now going better.
  3. Waynesrhythm

Waynesrhythm Member

Hi Shari,

Just wanted to mention that there's a big difference between being addicted to narcotics and being dependent on them. If you choose to depend on narcotic pain medication to help you navigate your days, then I believe your're making an intelligent decision. I commend you for seeing if you might be able to live without this pain medication, but I commend you even more for realizing you're not able to at this time, and that it's necessary for you to go back on it.

Wayne[This Message was Edited on 02/16/2010]
  4. debilyn

debilyn New Member

I totally agree with Wayne. I admire your strength.

5. DeborahLynn

DeborahLynn Member

and maybe, since you've been off of them for a little while now, you won't need as much to get relief.

6. hermitlady

hermitlady Member

I can totally sympathize with you, I'm on day 21 of no narcotics. You can read my post on pg 2 about my detox nightmare.

I'm now just taking Tylenol, Advil, and Celebrex...and aching to the bone all over still. Weak and shaky, but a little better the last couple of days. I'm on a load of supps to try to regain some strength, but this has been so hard.

I was just getting worried about taking so many narcs, it had been 3 yrs. I don't know where I'll be in a month, but who knows, I may eventually go back on them too. I just have to see how the old "quality of life" is after my body is cleansed.

Don't feel bad about going back on them, you are the only one who knows how you feel. Maybe now at least, your tolerance is lowered so you can get by w lighter dosing for awhile. You do what you have to do!!

I have been so irritated w peoples opinions on this issue. Until they live w chronic pain and fatigue, they just CANNOT relate! I refused to label myself as an addict while going to group meetings in the detox hospital. There weren't but a couple of us who were chronic pain pts, so everyone else was alcoholic and misc drug addicts. Interesting group of folks to say the least!

Good luck, keep us posted......... xoxo Hermit
  7. loto

loto Member

I think you did a good thing by trying to go without the narcotics, and i'm sorry you couldn't go without them, but I'm glad you went back to them.

I'm with you, I'd rather take the narcotics than live in pain. Hey, at least you did try other things.

We gotta do what we gotta do, in order to live!

8. wendysj

wendysj New Member

Hi Shari1677!

I'm sorry to hear you're pain is coming between you and work (or LIFE for that matter). I was watching you closely too. You are very strong and brave. No one deserves living in pain. Remember you're in control of the medication - you know that for sure now.

I had 2 days in a row that I didn't feel the sharp pain. I was SO excited! I wasn't hurting so I didn't take the pain medicine... It was late afternoon before I realized I had skipped it all day. I felt nervous and a bit sick on my stomach but that's it.

The pain came back and I took the pain medicine when it did. I was relieved to know that I didn't feel like I HAVE to take it; pain or no pain. It's the little victories that mean the most sometimes.

I'm very proud of your efforts and appreciate your posts.

9. Janalynn

Janalynn New Member

I think what you learned is that you do have control, which is what I think you felt you had lost for a while.

I also think you realized that you have pain, the reason why you were taking your pain meds in the first place. Realistically you had to and have to treat your pain. I'm glad you have a way to do that.

I hope that your pain lessens as I do everyone here!!