Back to Work in Schools and Flaring....

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by suz41, Sep 6, 2003.

1. suz41

suz41 New Member

Hi everyone:

Just need a place to let loose I started back to my job as a counselor based in a school district and made it through the first week only to wake up this morning in a flare...I ache all over, feel like I have been run over by a truck. Hands are the most painful right now. The part that really bugs me is I prepared myself mentallly and physically to go back. I have my supplements pre packed my healthy lunch, briught my protein rinks and went to bed early. I no I'm whining, however I know part of it is due to no AC in the bldg our high school is under MAJOR reconstruction and the humidy and dust is awful. I have been coming home and taking warm showers and baths. I'm hoping this too will pass as in the past. Just need a little bit of support right now to keep myself thinking positively. Sometimes this is down right scary. I really like working with the kids.
    Suz
  2. Suzan

Suzan New Member

A flare can still hit! I hope that you can use the majority of your off time to rest and care for yourself. You obviously enjoy your job, and working with kids is a great thing to be doing, some of their energy and enthusiasm always seems to rub off on us "older" folks! You are doing all the right things..Hang in there, and I wish for you just a short flare while you are adjusting to the routine of school again!
  3. BethM

BethM New Member

Just responded to you on my similar post. Good to talk to someone who is experiencing a similar situation. What is an agency school based intervention counselor? I think we don't have that job title here in CA.

Anyway, don't want to repeat myself too much...

enjoy the weekend!

Beth.
  4. suz41

suz41 New Member

Hi Beth:

I just read your post to my posting. An agency school based intervention counselor is a contracted MH/DA Intervention Counselor that the state of PA requires to have in all the schools. I do counseling with students who are high risk for problems or are already having problems. I work with a Student Assistance Program for Drug/safe schools. The team is made up of myself, Guidance department, dean of Students, Nurse, and specially trained teachers. Once I get parental consent I provide counseling or make a referral if they need more specialized care. I like the work its just that when crisis' occur I really feel like ppushy-pullimy in the movie Dr. Doolittle. Hopefully this flare is beginning to let up, the fibro fog is a bit better today. Hope your week goes well.
    Suz.
  5. sumbuni

sumbuni New Member

Days like today, when I flaring and paying for having one good day, I try to just be thankful that I DID have a good day, and that it is worth the price I'm paying today.

You are Blessed by having a job you love. Even should it ever come to pass that you can no longer do that job, believe me when I say that most of us NEVER have the job that we really love. I know a few people who get up and can hardly wait to get back totheir job, but I for one, just try to be greatful that I've still got a job, even if I do have to hold a gun to my head to make me get up and go to it!

Hang in there, better days are coming!

God Bless you with the strength you need today, and every day!

Love,
    Sumbuni