Backpay how long of a wait?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Hootie1, Sep 2, 2008.

1. Hootie1

Hootie1 New Member

Just curious about how long it takes to get the backpay in PA? I only got approved this past Friday and have given my EFT information for my bank.

Also, do they include my son's backpay? I plan to use that to pay off bills and then use the following years to put into an account for his college.

Any info is appreciated. I really need that money!
  2. 3gs

3gs New Member

Not sure about PA but in Utah it took 6 mos. You will get back pay so will son.

Isn't it the same tho since its federal? Hope Im correct as I have been on SS and SSI for about 18 yrs.
  3. momof4kids68

momof4kids68 New Member

I live in TN. Got approved May 30th. Received my first monthly check on Aug 27th. Got my backpay this past Sat Aug 30th.

I haven't heard anything about the benefits for my kids yet.

I know it's hard being patient. I think that SS probably started cringing when they saw my number on the caller ID LOL

So glad you got approved!
  4. TrishinSpokane

TrishinSpokane New Member

our childrens use of their portion of the monies.

I was notified that I had been approved on the 19th of July, received 20 months back pay for myself around the 16th of Aug and then backpay for my child about 10 days later.

Had to make a special trip to the SSA office to sign the beneficiary paperwork for my child again, since it had been more than a year since I first applied.

Won't receive first regular payment till last week in Sept and just received my Medicare card yesterday and that doesn't go into affect until Dec 08.

Just received booklets today telling me how my child can use her money and what and how they recommend any left over to be saved.

We will need to keep track of all her expenditures and have the records ready yearly should SSDI request to see them. I live in Washington state.

Hope this helps!!

God Bless

[This Message was Edited on 09/02/2008]
    [This Message was Edited on 09/02/2008]
  5. Hootie1

Hootie1 New Member

I called today and was told that it is in processing and they are working on the attorney fee.

Figures. They have my EFT information and I hope that it doesn't take too long... I have so many bills!!!!
    Unfortunately, I have to pay 100% of the first year to my company and then 60% after that!!! What a big chunk of change!!!!! (it is an offset)

I think that I will use it and play stupid and then pay them back slowly. I know that is not honest, but it has been hell waiting for this!!!!
  6. marti_zavala

marti_zavala Member

Are you also getting LTD? If so, that may affect the timeframe.

I rec'd my backpay within 45days. It just appeared in my account. The letter came 2 weeks later.

My son's backpay was not far behind.

You do have to track how you spend your son's money. You will be sent forms to respond.

7. mjwarchol

mjwarchol New Member

I am in AZ and I got mine in about 6 weeks or so.

M J
  8. eeyoreblue02

eeyoreblue02 Member

I completely understand your consideration to use the money and pay it back. I'm willing to bet that OPM will allow you to have a small amount deducted from your monthly check for a year or even more. Go for it, Girl. I know you need to pay your bills.
  9. momof4kids68

momof4kids68 New Member

It's very easy keeping track of the money you spend on your kid/s. I keep all my receipts in a photo box (They are only $6.99 at Walmart) or you can use a shoe box. Put the year on the outside and stick all receipts for everything in the box. Then you can store them in your closet neatly by the year in case you ever have an audit by Social Security.

Save all movie stubs, fast food receipts, picture receipts, grocery receipts, gas receipts, etc. etc. etc. I save everything!! Keep records of your household expenses too!

The paper you receive about your child's money will tell you how much you HAVE to save monthly. Then you take all of your household bills, divide that number by how many people live in your home and that number is how much you take from your child's money to support them. Any extra money is easily used for the many things our kids want and want to do!

Ex: Household bills (elec, mortgage, phone, cable, internet, gas, water, sewer, garbage, etc) are $2800.00 a month. You have 5 people (parents 2 children 3)in your home. $2800.00 divided by 5 = $560.00 a month per person.

So you need $560.00 for your child for living expenses. Then add to that lunch money, entertainment, clothes, shoes, haircuts, doctor visits & medication, and you have spent it.

I have to save $35.00 per month for each child. Take that off the top and put it into a savings account.

As you can see, just save your receipts. The money spends itself!!

Hope this helps ease some anxiety about the kid's money.

Take Care

Just wanted to add that I have been getting money for my oldest 2 kids for 9 years now. SS will send you a paper every year (I get mine in April) that you will need to fill out. The paper states how much money you received in the past year. You have to fill in how much you saved and it will ask if you were responsible for how the money was spent. If you have a large expenditure, you will list it. My son bought a car this year so when I get my paper in April, I will simply explain that he spent $3600.00 on a
    car. Three years ago, my daughter had to have dental surgery. I listed that as an explanation for how the money was spent.

Don't let keeping track of the money worry you. It's really simple.
    [This Message was Edited on 09/07/2008]
  10. day2day

day2day Member

Hootie, I got my first check in the mail, and then there after it was deposited into my bank account by direct deposit.

My sons benefits they made me supply a certified copy of my sons birth certificate which I had to pay a fee ( about 12 dollars) to his state of birth and they sent it to me within a week. It could not be a copy, it had to be an offical state birth certificate with the seal of the state.

I have a funny story about that paper they send yearly for my sons about a CFS brain fog.

On the sheet they ask if you have been convicted of a felony for the previous year. LOL, I checked yes!!! Apparently someone reads those papers because I got a phone call from someone saying they were from Social Security and was ready to hang up on them thinking it was some sort of scam until the woman told me what I had done on the paper work. lolol

She asked me if I had really been convicted of a felony and I said.......ummmmm no. She said I didn't think so,
    I can take care of it here for you and make the correction.

I looked at my photo copy and sure enough I had said I had been convicted of a felony.

CFS brain at its best.

Congrats and hope you get something soon.
  11. Hootie1

Hootie1 New Member

Thanks everybody for the valuable information. I suspect that I should be getting a letter or getting the backpay soon. I am not as excited knowing that I will be sending most all to my previous employer and atty :(

On the other hand, i'm very happy that I was approved!
  12. BlueSky555

BlueSky555 New Member

Hang in there, Hootie. Like you said, at least you were approved and you will begin receiving monthly checks, soon I hope.

I know that pattyholland was waiting for a response also.

I come here and look everyday to see if either of you have received anything.

It shouldn't be much longer; I can't believe it's been this long but you live in a much larger area than I do, Hootie, and I'm not sure about pattyholland.

13. pattyholland

pattyholland New Member

Hi, I also come in here and look for info for backpay, almost ever day.

Of corse I read other post that might be helpful for me.

Still havent heard anything yet on monthly checks or backpay........

SSD office said that I would get something around the 3rd week in October.

Bummer because my son is getting married next week.

not only do We have to pay for my husband and 2 sons tuxs.

But also for the rehersal (sp) dinner.

Dont really have any money to spend on any of it.

Would of been nice to have it for this special day.

Right now it is just stressing me out.

Hope we all get something very soon.....

14. Hootie1

Hootie1 New Member

Thanks for all of your support!!! I should hear something within the next month- I'm trying to stay patient.
  15. TKE

TKE New Member

I'm in PA....I was approved last year.....hearing was December 11th.....backpay was deposited into my account on January 17th. Right now most new SS is being sent out around the 15-20th of each month.

My lawyer told me the time frame for getting backpay all depends on how long it takes the judge to finish up their paperwork. If the judge lets it lay on his/her desk it can actually take weeks/months longer. You're lawyer fee will be taken out before you get yours. Don't have any kids, so I can't help you with that info.

Does your bank have online banking? Mine does. I had to fill out a form at my bank for it. Makes it easy to check when deposits are made without hassle.

16. Hootie1

Hootie1 New Member

Thanks for your good information- I didn't realize PA's went out at a specific time. That helps me quite a bit actually. Yes, I have on-line banking and have been checking everyday.

The hearing office sent it right to the processing center - the next day. Although, I called in and gave my banking information on 9/5/08.

It is taking longer, but I will try to be patient and hopefully I will see something between the 15th and 20th.

Thanks. I'm hoping to at least get the letter so that I can put my mind to rest because I have been concerned about the mthly amount- although I have budgeted for the lower amt.

17. Hootie1

Hootie1 New Member

My case is finally finished!!! I should see the backpay within the week. I called and they told me my monthly amount and the amount of my backpay- minus the atty fee of course (I don't mind giving him the money because I would have never gotten it without them!)

I have to go into the local office to apply for my son's benefits.

Well, it's finally over. I have a review in 3 years (argh!). I will try not to worry about that yet.

p.s. The sad part about the back pay is that although it is for one year (a good lump sum!) Between the atty fees and paying back to my LTD I actually end up in the hole by $600 not to mention that I will need to pay about $4,000 when tax time comes around- that sucks! I don't understand that I have to pay taxes on the money that I need to give back to the LTD since I already paid taxes when I got their money that year. I have an appt with my accountant but it just doesn't seem right that I would have to pay those taxes twice.

I'm just happy to get the monthly benefits

editing: I have my review in 5-7 yrs according to my letter
    [This Message was Edited on 10/10/2008]
    [This Message was Edited on 10/25/2008]
  18. BlueSky555

BlueSky555 New Member

A B I G, H U G E, C O N G R A T U L A T I O N S !!!!!!!!!!!

It's about time. I haven't been here in about 2-3 days and saw that you had received some answers. I'm so happy that you were approved and finally received some information about you backpay.

I won't have to look any longer to see if you have received you back pay, lol.

Don't worry, however, I know you will, about the money that you have to pay back. Like you said; at least you get a monthly check.

Take care,

19. Hootie1

Hootie1 New Member

Thanks! I was told today that I only have to payback the money over a 3 yr period so I think that I will pay most of it but use part of it for the credit card to pay it off and be done with it.

Yah! I have an aptt with the local office at the end of October to apply for benefits for my son- somehow I thought that was automatic, but it's not. I have to show proof of birth (original birth certificate) and give them a few other things.

I still didn't get my letter, but I already know the amounts and that my review is in 3 yrs.
  20. Hootie1

Hootie1 New Member

Thanks Jam- I've been thinking of you and wondering if you have heard anything yet.

note: I am having some trouble navigating the new site. It appears that when I search for Hootie1 by Username it is hard to follow. I was trying to go back to all of our conversations. Also, I don't seem to know how to see who is writing what -- I would usually click on someone's user name to find out a list of their posts so that I can tell what they have been up to and I don't have to reopen something that was already addressed in an earlier post that I might have missed- but I'll have to try to learn the new board- you know I don't like change but I am happy that Pro-health is moving forward to try to help us with even more information.

God Bless Prohealth!!!!