baclofen for fibro?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by charlenef, Sep 17, 2008.

1. charlenef

charlenef New Member

my dr gave me baclofen and i was wondering if anyone had a difference taking it thanks charlene
  2. Janalynn

Janalynn New Member

Hi Charlene,
    I haven't tried baclofen, but I have heard that it's a pretty strong muscle relaxer. I hope it works for you -
    will you let me know?
    I currently take Soma - it works better than Flexiril, Skelaxin and Robaxin have for me, but sometimes it doesn't help at all.
    I'd be curious to hear about Baclofen.
  3. tansy

tansy New Member

Hi Charlene

I have ME and this causes neuropathic pain and muscle spasms; though the latter is much improved these days. PTs recommended baclofen but for years doctors refused because it works best in conditions like MS and spasms caused by the CNS. ME/CFS is not well understood by many Drs.

Finally I persuaded a GP to let me try it; I don't tolerate many meds but this one was ok. It helped reduce the severity of my nerve related muscle spasms.

Prior to surgery I only took it occassionally. I had to resort to baclofen for a while post surgery and once again it helped.

tc, Tansy
  4. jenn_c

jenn_c New Member

Still have spasms and muscle pains. Do not know what to do.
  5. charlenef

charlenef New Member

thanks i took it today sofar not much of a difference well see in the coming weeks
  6. autoharp15

autoharp15 New Member

I have recenly been prescribed baclofen. I was having muscle spasms in the middle of the night in my foot and legs. It seems to help alot . At least I havn't woke up with the spasms for a while. Hope it helps you to. I have tried lyrica also. It really helps the pain but I keep falling. I didn't realize at first but thats one of the side effects of the drug. incoordiation , unsteady gait just to name a few. I have also had the swelling of the hands and feet as well as tingling in my hands I have gained about 20 pounds also. I am getting off of the drug mainly because of all the side effects I have been having. I love the pain relief but I have fallen 3 times in the past 2 months and ended up messing up my knee and had to have surgery. It doesn't help much to be pain free if you are crippled. Has anyone else had this problem. thanks