Bacteria on Purses You need to read this

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by carebelle, Jul 9, 2006.

1. carebelle

carebelle New Member

Bacteria on Purses

On Fox 5 Atlanta, Ga., a Health Report dated May 8, 2006, they aired
    this report on a study performed on women's purses. Their health team
    went to a local mall and took samples from the bottom of 50 women's
    purses. The purses were swabbed with cotton swabs along the entire
    bottom of the purses and placed into special containers. The swabs were
    then processed at a local laboratory.

The Health Report also showed where women place their purses: public
    restrooms (on the floor beside the toilet), kitchen counters & kitchen
    tables, on tables & chairs in restaurants, etc.

The results of the laboratory tests contained the following most serious
    result:1 out of 4 purses - E COLI Other extremely serious bacteria also
    were listed, including Hepatitis.

They recommended that women should DAILY wipe their purses (particularly
    the bottom) with a disinfectant wipe and to be extremely careful where
    you sit your purse. Most important, do NOT place your purse on a table
    (anywhere) where you will eat or an a kitchen counter and do not put it
    anywhere close to a toilet.

Remember, when you flush a toilet, the spray goes a distance that is
    unrecognizable by the human eye.

WASH YOUR HANDS as often as you can! Keep an antibacterial hand
    sanitizer cleaner (no water needed) in your purse and use it often! And
    as soon as you get home from shopping (or wherever you have been and
    used your purse), immediately wipe it all over with a disinfectant wipe.

Also, I just read from another source that the antibacterial hand wash (no

water needed) did not cause bacteria to mutate like antibacterial soaps do,

because their active ingredient is "alcohol".

2. hugs4evry1

hugs4evry1 New Member

That's pretty disgusting and I did put my purse on the bathroom floor at the hair salon I went to today. Ewwww!!

Yuck....I wonder if wiping with a solution like that would ruin my leather. I got my very first really nice purse last year for Mother's Day and I'd hate to ruin the bottom of it.

Nancy B.
  3. libra55

libra55 New Member

I never would have thought of that. When I go in a public restroom I just plunk my purse down on the floor. (I was always taught not to hang it from the door handle as someone could reach over and grab it).

I have heard about the toilet spray though. Heard not to keep toothbrushes too close to the toilet because of that.

We wash our hands a lot here, and use the hand sanitizer. I have it in both bathrooms and the kitchen, and we all have little ones we carry with us, and in the car too. Purell even makes towelettes now too.

Because of the immunosuppressants I must take daily for my Crohn's, I have a window of immunity that is extremely fragile and I get very freaked out about germs. A few months ago I cut myself shaving my armpits and got a nasty staph infection from it.

Thanks for posting about the purses.

Michelle
    [This Message was Edited on 07/10/2006]
  4. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

At all times in my purse. When I eat out, I wipe my hands after handling the menu. Then, I wipe them if I touch salt shakers or any condiment containers. I can only imagine the germs on those.

How many times have you seen restaurant workers use the same cloth to wipe off the seat of a booth and then wipe the table with it? Acck! I wipe down the table with the towelette too. Just call me, Monk.

BTW, when I do eat in fast food places, I always order to go, even if I eat in the restaurant. Those trays are seldom washed well. They slide in and out of the garbage cans. At best, they are usually wiped down with a dirty rag. Then, the paper is put on them and another dirty tray is stacked on top of that. I would like to see health depts. check those trays.

Love, Mikie
  5. mme_curie68

mme_curie68 New Member

MythBusters did a controlled study with toothbrushes and the MythBusters bathroom.

They had 3 levels of toothbrushes that went around the entire room.

Guess what?

After 1 month ALL the toothbrushes in the room, no matter how far from the toilet, were ALL contaminated with aerosilized e.coli from the toilet flushing.

So, if you don't want e-coli on your toothbrush, don't keep it in the bathroom!!!

Hugs,
    Madame Curie
  6. bluestanglady

bluestanglady New Member

Tara Banks had it on her show and it was absolutely disgusting!! Those little creatures were moving around!! I never put mine on the floor in a restroom. If there's nothing to hang it on, I hang on to it myself. It's hard to do, but there's no way it's going on the floor. Also, when you flush in your bathroom at home, close the lid first. Keeps the 'mist' from going everywhere.
  7. KateMac329

KateMac329 New Member

Think about what touches our shoes when we go out!

Which then our shoes touch our floors which then touch our

socks which then touch our pant legs or the under sides of

our legs, couches, chairs, sheets which then touches our

bares skin and hands which then touches our mouth and eyes.

And yes I am OCD! LOL

kate
  8. BlueSky555

BlueSky555 New Member

I had heard of this as well but ALSO, one of the most infected areas are the buggy/cart handles in wal-mart, grocery store, etc. I carry the sanitizer with me and sanitize the cart handle.

As for my toothbrush, I keep it in a cover in the FRIDG. I know nothing can get to it there, lol!

I also keep a can of lysol in bathroom and a can in kitchen.

Good informative post, carebelle,

BlueSky555
  9. rockyjs

rockyjs Member

I think one of the grossest places is buffets where you serve yourself. I see everything from kids with runny noses to big dirty guys that look like they would never wash their hands handling the utensils and then we touch them and eat our food without washing our hands again. I carry alcohol wipes in my purse, too!

Jan
  10. Cromwell

Cromwell New Member

They recently did a study trying to discover worse cause of MRSA virus that is the curse of hospitals and killing people-how was it being transferred patient to patient? A lot of the time Doctor's neckties. They hang down and patient coughs on them, they are not laundered each day, they are rarelt dry cleaned. So the old fashioned doctor coats that buttoned up to throat....not a bad idea.

Yuk, purses-another reason to wear a fanny pack.

Love Anne Cromwell
  11. mollystwin

mollystwin New Member

Even if we are holding our purses, they will still get sprayed when we flush!! I am going to wipe mine off right now with a clorox cleanup wipe!
  12. mrdad

mrdad New Member

I always new it was on the $$$ inside. Makes me not want

to carry one anymore!!

MRDAD
  13. TXFMmom

TXFMmom New Member

They have a gadget now, where it holds four toothbrushes, and it kills all microbes with ultraviolet rays in ten minutes.

It even comes in a travel version which holds one toothbrush.

With our sinus problems, this makes BIG TIME SENSE TO ME.
  14. rockyjs

rockyjs Member

I've always wondered about what's on library books. I wipe them with a disinfectant, too.

Jan
  15. hugs4evry1

hugs4evry1 New Member

You two are cracking me up!!!!

I haven't laughed this hard at a post that was never intended to be funny, in a long...long time!!

And yes, my purse is carefully set on the arm of my loveseat on top of a magazine. Now I'm now trying to figure out how in the world am I'm going to read it?

Hugs & doggie kisses,

Nancy B.
  16. kriket

kriket New Member

Tyra Banks had a show on the other night about bacteria. I wish I would have never seen it. Now, everything I touch that was mentioned on her show drives me crazy. Too much information. As for flushing the toilet, just sit on it and your butt will block the mist from going all over the bathroom and toothbrushes. Ewwwwww!!!!!! LOL HE HE HE!!!
    But then, it's on your butt!!! Now what. Guess it's time to jump in the shower with some soap and water. he he!!

kriket
  17. 69mach1

69mach1 New Member

i carry my own ink pens and wipes in my purse...

now you want me to throw my purse...you are so right

jodie
  18. Bruin63

Bruin63 Member

I never put mine anywhere but on my Lap, when I am out, at a resturant, or if we are in a both, I clean an area, and then set my purse on it.

I also don't put my purse on the floor, even at home.
    But for a different reason.

Someone once told me that is you leave you "Handbag" on the floor,
    You will always be poor.

SO, I quit about ten years ago, of just leaving it anywhere.

I also carry the Wipe's, and the Hand Santizers.
    At the market I take a couple of the veggie bag's, the plastic one's and I line them on the top part of the cart so I can hang my bag on it.
    Never use the place where the Baby's sit either,

Good post, and a good reminder to cut back on Germs, etc. as much as we can, without going to the extreme.

I also wash my hands alot, always have, and I quit shaking hands, I used to do that, because, my StepDad said you, should Look a person in the eye, and give them a firm grip, when being Introuduced.

Ever wear Gloves? LIke them Southern Belles did, or even back in the 50/60's ?
    I found some of my Mom's, thought about trying them out, lol, lol,

sharonk

ps: I read your Bio, and thought I would mention, that my Great Grandmother, was an Ordained Minister, for the Nazerene Church, (probably spelled that wrong, never could even when Dh &I attended one. )

[This Message was Edited on 07/11/2006]
  19. suzetal

suzetal New Member

are not just wiped down they are put through an extremely hot washer .They go through the hot one for rinse off.

Than another hot one with a bacteria killing Strong detergent.Than a third very hot bath for a rinse before they go back out for use.

If you find a place that does not do this turn them in to the board of heath.It is the law in all states that they do this.

Sue
  20. carebelle

carebelle New Member

You all crack me up! After reading your responses I will be wiping EVERYTHING DOWN .

Oh by the way another thing I read recently was that the cans in a G .Store can have rats or mice pee or poop on the tops and oh my goodness the germs from that .I try to wipe my cans down just in case.

Is it no wonder none of us know how we got these DD's with all these germs floating around. Its funny we put factories where they make computer parts sterile and they wear cover up head to toe as not to spread anything.But where we buy our food there are reports that rat poop can be on stuff. yuck yuck yuck