Bacteriotherapy For CFIDS/Me

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia and ME & Chronic Fatigue Syndrome' started by Mikie, Mar 2, 2013.

1. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Mikie's Comment: This is an article I found here on the ProHealth website. The only question I have is what is meant by bacteriotherapy. I take probiotics to keep my gut in balance and have found it makes all the difference in the world. My friend, a nurse, told me that I should also eat yogurt for the "live" bacteria in it.

Editor’s Comment: This study builds on previous research demonstrating abnormal bacterial gut flora in ME/CFS patients. In addition to causing numerous gastrointestinal symptoms, prior studies have found that abnormal gut flora in ME/CFS patients is linked to cognitive dysfunction (Maes and De Meirleir). This is the first study to demonstrate a complete remission of symptoms in a significant percentage of ME/CFS patients after the normalization of gut flora.

The GI microbiome and its role in Chronic Fatigue Syndrome: A summary of bacteriotherapy

By Thomas Borody et al

~Source: Journal of the Australasian College of Nutritional and Environmental Medicine, December 2012

Abstract

Introduction: Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (CFS) has a complex and multifactorial etiology making treatment and definitive diagnosis, currently made through exclusion, difficult. Current therapies, such as cognitive behavior therapy and graded exercises, are inadequate and targeted to address symptoms, rather than the underlying disease pathology. Increasing evidence implicates the microbiota of the gut in a number of conditions previously thought distinct from the gastrointestinal system. Previous work with bacteriotherapy in CFS has suggested a link between the condition and the composition and health of the gut microbiota. Here, we review and further examine a larger cohort of CFS patients who had undergone bacteriotherapy for their CFS.

Method: A total of 60 patients from the Centre for Digestive Diseases presented with CFS. Of these, 52 patients had concurrent IBS and 4 patients additionally had constipation. All underwent initial transcolonoscopic infusion of 13 non-pathogenic enteric bacteria. 52/60 patients undertook an additional rectal infusion a day later and 3/60 undertook an additional 2 rectal infusions.

Results: 35/60 patients who underwent initial bacteriotherapy responded to treatment. 10/15 patients who failed this course were offered a secondary transcolonoscopic infusion followed by a rectal infusion or an oral course of cultured bacteria.

Of these 7/10 responded, giving a total of 42/60 (70%) patients who responded to treatment. Contact was achieved with 12 patients after 15-20 year follow-up. Complete resolution of symptoms was maintained in seven of the twelve patients and 5/12 did not experience recurrence for approximately 1.5-3 years post bacteriotherapy.

Conclusion: Bacteriotherapy achieves initial success rate of 70% in CFS and a 58% sustained response. Given that manipulation of the colonic microbiota improved CFS symptoms, bacteriotherapy for CFS warrants further investigation and may provide further insight into a possible etiology of CFS.

Source: Journal of the Australasian College of Nutritional and Environmental Medicine, Vol. 31, No. 3, Dec 2012: 3-8. Borody, Thomas, Director, Centre for Digestive Diseases, Five Dock NSW 2046, Australia; Nowak, Anna, Research Assistant, Centre for Digestive Diseases, Australia; Finlayson, Sarah, Research Assistant, Centre for Digestive Diseases, Five Dock NSW 2046, Australia.
  2. luigi21

luigi21 Member

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1120965/

this is the best paper i can find that describes it.

And the second part of how they can replace natural gut bacteria is true because it put me off of eating my dinner when i watched a programme on it (i'll take a look to see if they've got any footage of said program online) they take the faecal matter of a healthy person and put it in a non healthy person, makes alot of sense, still i reckon it would be a desert that would leave a slight after taste ;-)

katherine x
  3. ljimbo42

ljimbo42 Member

Thanks Mikie, for passing along such GREAT INFO.! Take care-Jim
  4. IanH

IanH Active Member

Its a good result but the reporting of the results is unclear.
    From what I can gather there is no cure of ME/CFS but the IBS part is cured in many of them. Which in itself is great news because for tsome this is the worst part of their ME/CFS. It has be well shown now that "leaky gut: causes cognitive problems so if those symptoms are eliminated it is even better.

The best form of the treatment is fecal transplant however it appears they have had optional oral treatment. The range of bacteria used is very large so your average probiotics will not achieve this sort of result.

My daughter tried this treatment in Australia several years ago but, while it did improve her gut function her ME and MCS remained
  5. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I learned of Leaky Gut Syndrome and started taking probiotics to try to prevent gut problems. I had always had IBS symptoms but they went away after 2 1/2 years on Doxycycline for mycoplasma infection. This leads me to wonder whether there is a connection between bacteria and IBS, similar to the one with some ulcers.

Did you ever hear of the guy who was so horrible that he had a fecal transplant and it rejected him :) TADA!

Thanks, folks, I'll be here all week and you can catch me in the Catskills this summer.

Love, Mikie
  6. ljimbo42

ljimbo42 Member

That's hilarious! I laughed right out loud when I read that.

I feel like there is a very strong connection between bacteria in the gut and IBS.

I'll see you at the Catskills this summer! lol
  7. neoplus1

neoplus1 Member

I think there is clearly a link between IBS and bacterial growth. There is some study to support it as well as more and more physicians are thankfully testing for small bowel bacterial overgrowth as well as testing for parasites and other infections in IBS as well as in ME/CFS.

There is also evidence for dysbiosis(correct word?) as well since not only can antibiotics and probiotics help IBS, but could potentially cause it. On top of that there are issues of food intolerances and sensitivities.

There seems to be a lot going on in the IBS/Fibro/CFS axis of evil. Many of us with one also have all three. Those who are severely ill that improve or recover seldom do so with any kind of monotherapy or focusing too much on one thing.

Steve
  8. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Used a Venn diagram to explain the symptoms of most of his patients. Some had only one, some two, and where the circles all intersected, it was patients with all three: CFIDS/ME; FMS; and gut issues. He believed, as I do that we have to pull out all the stops in order to heal and treat all our symptoms until a cure comes along.

I saw my illnesses as war, and like a general, I fought it on as many fronts as necessary.

Love, Mikie