Bad doctor appointment sad :(

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by jillian44, Aug 10, 2006.

1. jillian44

jillian44 New Member

I had a very bad doctor appointment. She told me that I shouldn't of came in and told her what kind of tests I needed. She was so rude. She told me that she was the doctor not me. I told her that I have CFS or Fibro and she didn't really care. I told her that I was so much pain and needed something for the pain. I told her I can't sleep because of the pain. She said she didn't give pain medications. She gave me a presception for ibprophen and tylenol. I will go to another doctor but, my gosh why don't you kick me when I am in a bad flare!
  2. thelionrose

thelionrose New Member

You are right to realise that you have to get another doctor. Do you have anyone who can go with you next time? Sometimes doctors are not so rude to patients and believe patients more when a witness is standing there. I take my 80 year old father on my appts. so that I don't have to put up with so much blantant disrespect.
  3. bre_ann

bre_ann New Member

I just don't understand. We have to be able to talk about what possibilities of things we may have. I know the internet has lots of information to help us "self diagnose" but the doctors don't think of everything. We should be able to tell a dr. "hey, I have been having these symptoms and it seems like I may have..." THEY should be able to handle that and either help us rule it out or verify that we do have it not treat us like crap and blow us off. Do they just think we're going to sit at home and not try to find out what's wrong???? If my kids need help with their homework, I look in books, and on the internet to help find the answers before I get with the teacher. Why would I do anything different when I have something wrong with me? Doctors get on my nerves.
    Sorry you had such a bad time.
  4. boltchik

boltchik New Member

Hi,

Sorry you had such a bad dr. appt. We should be able to go in and talk to our doctors without fear of being reprimanded. I would move on to someone else. I am new to treating my CFS/fibro, but I heard that program by Dr. Teitelbaum that someone mentioned is good. I am going to research it more. You are in my prayers!
  5. BlueSky555

BlueSky555 New Member

Hi Jillian44,

It is very sad that Drs. in my opinion, just go from one patient/room to the the other all day long. No, I really don't think they care or have any sympathy for us when we are in pain.

I have found out, through the years of seeing Drs. that (I have 2 that I have been seeing for quite some time of course 2 different types of drs.) and the longer I go to them, the nicer they seem to be and listen to me.

You are right to go to another Dr. I don't blame you at all and would continue "playing the field" until I found the one I was satisfied with.

Good luck to you,

BlueSky555
  6. thelionrose

thelionrose New Member

It can also help to get recommendations for physicians for sufferers who live in your area. Is there a support group in your area? They know who listens and can also give you suggestions on how to make you doctor a "better" Cfs doctor.
  7. kirschbaum26

kirschbaum26 New Member

Dear Jillian44:

Not sure where in CA you are located, but you should not have to put up with that kind of disrespect...especially from a professional. I would write a letter of complaint to the CA Medical Board. I would also find another doctor right away. Have you used the DOCTORs listed on this site? Also, if you say what area of CA you are located in, you might get some referrals from board members.

I live in San Pedro, which is about 40 miles south of LA. I have a wonderful doctor, and would not hesitate to refer you to her..but since I do not know where you live....it does not make sense.

I believe that Doctors are required to treat patients pain effectively. If she refuses to refer you to a doctor who will treat your pain, I am fairly sure that your complaint would be investigated and perhaps she would not treat the next FMS/CFIDS patient so poorly.

Good luck to you.

Ingrid
  8. MsE

MsE New Member

With the person who suggested you take someone with you when you have to deal with this doctor. It is amazing how the medical folks change when they see your friend with a little notebook and pen in hand.

My sis does this all the time--takes someone with her. She explains that because of MS she has trouble stating her case clearly and has trouble remembering, so her friend is there to help keep things straight for her. Before she was often treated condescendingly; not any more. Something about that open notebook, pen, and another pair of eyes did the trick.
  9. butterfly99

butterfly99 New Member

I also have a great doc. who lives in Ca. but i dont know were u live my docs in Laguna Beach in Orange county. and I moved here from Ohio because of the weather and to find a good doc. I also had a %^&*%^ of a female doc. it was awful. im soo thankful to find a doc that listens and looks at all the chat pages on meds i printed and was very happy to help, I also took my husband in so he could give his view of my DD and help me keep the meds and hrs taken straight. Call docs and ask if they treat FM and how many patients they have. Good luck. Youll find get help here. peaceful night
    Amy
  10. cczub

cczub New Member

Hi Jillian! I had the same problem this week. I hadn't seen him in close to 7 months and started going over what's been going on. He told me"I thought this was going to be short and simple not a 40 minute discussion".. What type of doctor says this to his patient!!! He's the one that first mentioned FM or CFS now when I bring it up he just ignores it. I finally lost it this week and have an appointment next week with a doctor from this site...

I know how hard it is finding a doctor who will work with you.. I'm still looking. I'd recomend trying to find a doctor who will take FM and CFS as a real disease. I'm hoping since the doctor is recommended from this site he takes it seriously.

Good luck!