BAD DOCTOR

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by pattyholland, Jul 15, 2008.

1. pattyholland

pattyholland New Member

Hi, I was just wondering if anyone knew where I could report a doctor that I think is bad doctor.

I called her office friday, and told them the meds she had me on was doing nothing and that I wanted to talk to her.

The nurse called me back, said the doctor doesnt call in meds, told me to go to the ER if I was haveing pain.

I ask her to leave a note for the doctor to call me and she said that the doctor would just throgh the note away.

So after hours I called her after hour line, and a lady said that my doctor was on call, she took my name and number and said the docotor would be callig me back.

The lady called me, telling me my doctor called her and told her to call me to tell me just to go to the ER.

Still wouldnt call me back...omg I was so upset.

Live in a small town and only have one rhemy here, but I will have to go to the city for a good one.

But I dont want this doctor to get away with this.

PLEASE if anyone knows something I can do, let me know

Thanks Patty
    [This Message was Edited on 07/16/2008]
  2. turquoise

turquoise Member

Call your state medical board (or the state board for which the dr. practices) and file a formal complaint. They should have to look into it, but whether or not they actually DO anything is another matter. of course.
    [This Message was Edited on 07/15/2008]
  3. Janalynn

Janalynn New Member

Oh Patty,
    I'm sorry to hear that you were treated so poorly and so insensitively!
    I can't believe that her nurse said she'd throw your note away!
    I can't tell you what to do, but if it were me, I'd be drafting a nice long letter to do the Dr. herself and sending it certified.

I would state the facts - and mention exactly what you told us- and what the nurse said as well. I would then tell her that you are going to report her. Now of course, this is if you are sure you are done with her. Do you have a copy of your medical records already?

If not - don't tell her you're reporting her - but definitely tell her, how appalled you are at the level of care you received. You called her because SHE is your physician. SHE prescribed your medication - of course, SHE is the one you would call. You asked to SPEAK with her. Her "brush off" of you is inexcusable.

Arrrghhhh - I hate hearing things like this!
  4. padre

padre New Member

You can file a complaint in Missouri (your state) at

http://pr.mo.gov/healingarts-complaint-forms.asp
  5. pattyholland

pattyholland New Member

Thanks for the advice, I never complain about Doctors, but this one takes the cake.

I dont even want to call her a doctor.

OK, going to that web site now, will keep you guys up dated. Thanks Patty
  6. pattyholland

pattyholland New Member

Hi, is this how I type it in?

http://pr.mo.gov/healingarts-complaint-forms.asp

Cause I did but said page cannot be found.

Thought maybe I did something wrong.

Patty
    [This Message was Edited on 07/15/2008]
  7. mshvan

mshvan New Member

Another course is to file a complaint with your insurance company.

I did that. The funny/not-funny thing is that my doctor had me tossed out of the HMO for it. It turns out he is a major shareholder/owner of the HMO.

It turned out okay, because blue shield is my primary insurance--his HMO was just part of my plan.

but it does begin a paper trail, and they do pay attention.
  8. Susan07

Susan07 New Member

I copied http://pr.mo.gov/healingarts-complaint-forms.asp and it worked fine. You just might need to try again. I highlighted the address, used Ctrl + C, then used Ctrl + V and hit enter.

Take care, certainly sounds like your complaint is justified.
  9. wildflowers2

wildflowers2 New Member

I know I will get slammed for this but. THe doctor was not out of line.

Why didn't you just make an appointment to go see the doctor?
    A doctor can not make a medical merely just by a phone call. And it wouldnt help you either.

ER, if in that much pain would have been the route.

In my expirence when I have called the doctors office the nurse calls back and if need be to go into the office to be
    looked at.

I know you are frustrated but a complaint for not calling back is really silly. After all the office did call you back.

many blessings

10. pattyholland

pattyholland New Member

Hi, I did want to go in to see the doctor, I called friday and she said they couldnt see me untill monday.

I did not want to suffer the whole weekend like I was.

I had my hearing date thursday and I guess that is what put me in a BIG FLARE.

I have seen her 2 times and I already got the feeling she thinks fibo isnt what we know it is.

Going to find a GOOD doctor in the city, it is about an
    hour and half away but it will be worth it.

But I do know she could of called something in that would of helped for a few days.

Or atleast talk to me herself,which is the person I am paying, she isnt paying me to go see her is she?
    [This Message was Edited on 07/16/2008]
  11. pattyholland

pattyholland New Member

Hi, thanks for trying it for me.

I found it last night from google (love that site).

I alrady filled it out, have to stamped, and ready to go.

thanks again.

Patty
  12. pattyholland

pattyholland New Member

13. marti_zavala

marti_zavala Member

Well, I am with Wildflowers.

Meds are dangerous things, she should look at your file to make sure she knows what else you are taking, before prescribing a new drug.

She is protecting herself from lawsuits, that is true.

But she is also protecting you from drug interactions. She does not have everyone's files at home or even in her office.

My office has to request my records and it takes a day to get it in the office. If she is part of a big clinic, that may be the case as well.

She requested that you come in so that she can talk about what is not working and check your chart.

See, they have all the druggies to sort through. She is just being careful to protect both of you.

Your post does point to the fact that we need to make sure we always have enough meds and that we have something for breakthrough pain even if we don't usually need it. You just never know when you will flare out of control.

Personally, I wouldn't report her but you have to do what is right to you. I think you may be burning bridges because someday you may not be well enough to go to the city, then what will you do.

I think you got caught in a tight spot due to the flare from the stress of the hearing coming up and the weekend. ER was the proper suggestion. Just my opinion, doesn't count for much.

All the best,
    Marti
  14. Janalynn

Janalynn New Member

I disagree with those who disagree....
    Patty wrote:
    "I called her office friday, and told them the meds she had me on was doing nothing and that I wanted to talk to her.

The nurse called me back, said the doctor doesnt call in meds, told me to go to the ER if I was haveing pain.

I ask her to leave a note for the doctor to call me and she said that the doctor would just throgh the note away."

Patty did everything right - She called the Dr. who prescribed her medication to let her know if wasn't working. I would never go to the ER first. I would always call my Dr. She has her medical records right there. She could have checked her dose or made adjustments before the weekend or asked her to come in. The worst part to me, is that the nurse said she would throw the note away. The dr. could've have written a prescription that Patty could have picked up at the office if she doesn't 'call them in'.

Now I do know that calling after hours for prescriptions will get you nowhere. As a matter of fact, on my dr.s voicemail it states that. (in other words of course) I would go to an Urgent Care before I went to an ER - however I'm not sure I'd even do that with how everyone says they're being treated. Thankfully I've never had to.
  15. marti_zavala

marti_zavala Member

"Patty did everything right - She called the Dr. who prescribed her medication to let her know if wasn't working. I would never go to the ER first."

I agree. Patty did the right thing by calling the doctors office. And they couldn't get her in until Monday. The doctors solution was for her to go to ER.

I am just saying that is reasonable.

I was not saying that Patty should not have called her doctor and gone straight to ER.

Also, if the doctor doesn't call in a prescription, she is not going to have one for her to pick up. I think it is clear that she wanted to see Patty in her office before changing her meds. I think that is reasonable - not easy for Patty because of the situation that she was in but reasonable.

A bad situation all around.

Marti