Bad Experience with an Appointment Today

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by TeaBisqit, Oct 23, 2009.

1. TeaBisqit

TeaBisqit Member

Today, I had an appointment with my bankruptcy lawyer. I asked him if I had to do the credit counseling because there is an exemption if you are disabled. So.........he looks me up and down and he says "You don't qualify. You aren't that disabled. You are perfectly physically capable of doing the credit counseling." And I was so surprised and stunned and floored. And I said, "Are you kidding me? I'm 98 percent housebound." And he said "So what." And I said, "I have alot of neurological problems from this disease including audio processing disorder, short term memory loss, and blood pressure problems." He didn't care. And when I asked about parking for the bankruptcy court, he said there is no handicapped parking there! And he told me to park in a parking garage over two and half blocks away and walk. And I told him I absolutely cannot do the walking. He just didn't care. So I'm either going to have to pay for a cab that day or I've already tried to get my friend to take me, but she said if the weather is bad, she won't. She said only if the weather is okay. I have no idea how it will be out. My court date will probably be in January. So, we'll have to see.

But I feel like I was treated horribly today, totally judged by my looks, and completely disregarded that I'm disabled and cannot do all this stuff. And isn't it against the law not to have handicapped parking at a court house??? I have been there once to probate my mother's will and there was no parking. My lawyer at that time had to drive me there and take me home. This one just doesn't care. It's just very upsetting and frustrating. And just plain horrible.

And what the insensitive jerk of a lawyer didn't know was that I had been up all night with a severe asthma attack. And as soon as I left his office I had an emergency appointment with my doctor's office for that. And no one could tell by looking at me that I couldn't breathe. I was coughing, but not scary coughing, even though I seriously was having problems. I wish people wouldn't judge us just by how we look.
    [This Message was Edited on 10/23/2009]
  2. sportsmom628

sportsmom628 New Member

I am so sorry about your horrible ordeal. What a rude person, how does he know how disabled you are. If I were you I would report him and switch lawyers if you can but probably not now huh?

I had a family member in a similar situation and had to do the credit couseling, I would call them and see what they say. I say f__k him.

Hope they tell you something different.

I hope you don't have trouble sleeping tonite.

3. TeaBisqit

TeaBisqit Member

I already paid for this bankruptcy in full. But now I'm sorry I paid him after he said that to me.
  4. butterflydream

butterflydream New Member

That person is so Rude. How dare he judge you by appearance, as looking you up and down.
    People like this have just got to be such miserable themselves. He had no right slamming you with hateful words. I really feel Rude people are unhappy themselves and want others around them to feel the same. Don't let this upset you, he is the one tossing in his sleep.

Filing for Bankruptcy has got to be worrisome enough without this dingbat judging you.
    For the day of your court hearing, i would say the very least i had too , kindness is the best to people like him.

Since your hearing may be in January best to plan your ride that morning of since your friend can't drive in bad weather. Just knowing a cab would be available should ease your mind so you will have a choice of ride. Hopefully a sunny good day and all goes well.

Hope your doctor appointment today was much better than the attorney appt.

Live Life Well
  5. TeaBisqit

TeaBisqit Member

The doctor wasn't bad. He just didn't spend any real time with me. And now what I thought was an asthma attack is looking like I have full blown swine flu. A few hours after I got home, the fever, chills, headache all started to come on. Still coughing away and the inhaler he gave me is barely doing anything. I think I've got swine. I'm in bed under a ton of blankets with the heat on and still freezing with that awful flu cold feeling. Just praying really hard that it will go away fast. I already stocked up on food and stuff, so I should be okay with that stuff for up to two weeks, maybe ever longer if I had to stretch it. I just pray really hard it goes away without any complications. What's freaking me out is how fast the symptoms came on. Last night it was burning lungs and throat and severe asthma attack to where I was getting scared. Burning lungs still this morning. Slight fever at the doc's, it was 99 when I was in there. A few hours later, full blown flu symptoms.

I made the pharmacist give me real pseudofed, not the fake junk. So that will be my next approach to the cough. I just didn't want to take it tonight. It keeps me awake. I've been downing Fisherman's Friend lozenges like crazy and they help temporarily.
  6. jasminetee

jasminetee Member

I'm so sorry to hear that your day has been so bad. What a jerk that lawyer is. I wanted to suggest, you might try calling 211 and ask them if there is anybody or org. they think can help you. It's free and it's worth a shot. It's a new Social Services number. Also, you might want to contact the American Disabilities Act org. and see what they say. The way that lawyer treated you just isn't right.

I'm so sorry to hear you're very sick on top of all this. There are many flus going around right now so it may not be Swine flu. I hope not. I hope you feel better soon.

[This Message was Edited on 10/24/2009]
  7. TeaBisqit

TeaBisqit Member

It's swine, I'm like 99 percent sure. My fever shot up to 101.8 and it might be climbing.

I'm nauseous, freezing, coughing, I'm really, really cold and sick. This is the worst thing I've had in a long time. And my head hurts. I'm hoping to attempt sleep, but I keep coughing and I'm just so cold. Like I needed this right now. I'm just praying it will go away fast.
  8. TeaBisqit

TeaBisqit Member

It's now shot up to 102.6 I got scared and took some tylenol and I took the real pseudofed to try and help with the coughing. I am so sick. Now I'm not cold, I'm hot. My head hurts so badly.

I want this to go away.

Please pray for my cat. I'm all she's got. If something happened to me, she could be in here starving.
  9. DavidJ.

DavidJ. New Member

i am praying for you and your cat :)
  10. butterflydream

I've had the flu since Monday, think i am at the tail end now thankgoodness.

Tylenol good for fever, push the fluids, rest and more rest.

My throat is raw from coughing, i've been sleeping with humidifier on, helps alot.

With you having a stressful day atty and all, you must be exhausted.

Stay calm and cuddle with your cat, rest and fluids are very important.

Wish you well soon
  11. TeaBisqit

TeaBisqit Member

The real pseudofed is helping tremendously with the cough. It seems to be the only thing that does. The inhaler the doc gave me didn't do much.

The tylenol got the fever down. But I'm still really sick. Can't take a deep breath without coughing. Alternating with chills and being hot and sweating. The headache is better at the moment.

I'm taking shitake and some vitamins. Lots of water. I want this to go away fast.
  12. gapsych

gapsych New Member

What your lawyer failed to tell you is that you can take the credit counseling online. I actually did the first part on the phone and it was basically giving my address and other information. No test.

The second part had information in a paragraph form and then ask a question. If you miss it takes you back to the screen. It is basically impossible to fail. I think there were about 12 questions. The test is actually set up so you will learn the information as you are reading.

I think you can do this in any state, as where you live determins which place you call to get the test.

I would concentrate on getting well.

13. Elisa

Elisa Member

Dear Tea,

I am praying for you right now and i will throughout the day. I'm in the same situation - chills and breathing problems all night - weakness etc.

I know exactly what you mean - I have a dog - a sweet yellow lab - she is all I have - just like your cat. She just had an asthma attack - never happened before. I am so weak and terrified for her.

Such difficult circumstances - I have been crying all day - so I will pray - for you me, my dog, your cat...and hope that it will pass quickly.

God Bless you Tea - I really feel for you and hope you are better soon!

14. s8vdbygr8ce

s8vdbygr8ce New Member

That he treated you so rudely. I would see if there was someone i could report him too.
    i know i wouldn't stand for being treated like that. I am not saying to make him declare u handicapped but just cause of his manner.I mean that was just down right rude.

15. jasminetee

jasminetee Member

If it's Swine Flu don't you have to get Tamiflu for it? I thought that anyway.

Prayers to you and your cat. I hope you're feeling at least somewhat better today.

16. TeaBisqit

TeaBisqit Member

I'm still really sick. I had the chills in my sleep. Still coughing, it seems to be a dry cough, though. Still feverish. It's a horrible flu. I'll keep watching the cough. If it gets worse, I'll have to go to the ER. But it seems to be just a constant dry cough. Horrible. I took the pseudofed again and that seems to help for about seven or eight hours, then it wears off and I get a coughing attack.

I still haven't gotten over what the lawyer said to me. I'm just so sick of people constantly judging me on my looks. What would they like me to look like? I'm sorry I'm not looking sick enough for them. The truth is, anyone who knew me before I got sick would see there's a problem because I'm double the size and no longer wear makeup. I'm pale as a ghost, too. None of this is the real me. I was in shape before I got sick and I always wore makeup. I loved getting all the latest colors and all the fashion magazines. Now, I'm too sick for that.

What really gets me is, who is anyone to judge how disabled another person is. Years ago, before I got sick, I went into a card shop and the guy behind the counter was missing an arm. He was born that way, like you could kind of tell. But he was working, had no problem standing behind the counter or helping people. He was even married and had a real life. And yet, someone might consider him to be disabled because he's missing an arm. But you can't compare someone like that to one of us who cannot stand behind a counter all day and help people. Many of us can't stand up for more than a few minutes on bad days. Just because we aren't missing a limb doesn't mean we aren't a hundred times more disabled than someone who is.
  17. FibroFay

FibroFay New Member

If it's Swine Flu, you should get treated at the ER. Tamiflu is the treatment if they catch it within the first 72 hrs. Do you have a way to get to the ER? I wouldn't wait if I were you.

About the court date. Every court provides reasonable accomodations for the disabled. There has to be parking close by or something to meet your need. The Americans with Disabilities Act requires that they accomodate you. If you call the courthouse, they can tell you.

Your Lawyer is a JERK. Sorry, I know there's to be no name calling on the board. But, he's a JERK. Maybe a note from your doctor would convince him that you are very limited.

For now, Rest. Get Well. I'm praying for you too.

Warm wishes,
  18. butterflydream

I have the dry hacking cough also.
    I can't take pseudofed, it makes my heart skip and jump , not a good feeling.

May i ask, what is the inhaler your doc gave you ?
    Is the inhaler for clearing your lungs or breathing, i'm uncertain, can you explain please?

My throat is so dry raw.

Are you having nausea and all with this flu ?

Be Well
  19. AuntTammie

AuntTammie New Member

{{{{gentle hugs}}}}} I hope you get over the flu soon.

And, tea, I am sorry about how you were treated - that stinks! I agree with those who have posted that the lawyer should be reported, and also the ADA means that the courthouse has to make some accommodations for you....that's the law - of all places the courthouse should have to follow it
    [This Message was Edited on 10/24/2009]
  20. TeaBisqit

TeaBisqit Member

The inhaler is Albuterol, they use it for asthma. It doesn't seem to have much affect on this flu at all.

And I'm finding my acid reflux is now worse so it's making the coughing worse. This flu sux. I haven't had any appetite, and when I don't eat, I get alot of acid reflux. I had a sandwich for lunch and didn't eat anything for dinner.

I've been to that courthouse. There is no parking, just off the street parking with meters and the spots are always full. It's a horrible downtown location. The inside of the building isn't bad. They have elevators. But the location is just horrible.

I think the counseling certificate might be good for a few months, so I'm going to ask him if he can wait to file until the end of the winter season. Like if he files in Feb, we won't get a court date for like a month, so it would bring us into March. I'll ask. Cause I can get my friend to take me if the weather isn't bad. She just won't drive in bad weather.