Bad flare! What shall I do?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by goldilox, Jan 3, 2012.

1. goldilox

goldilox Member

Hi everyone,
    A few weeks ago I had a very bad throat and sinus infection and was given 2 doses of antibiotics over 2 weeks.
    My symptoms definately got better but my fibromyalgia symptoms really flared up and now I feel I have chronic fatigue symptoms as well. I really ache all over and have quite severe pain around my neck and shoulders.
    My hips and legs ache right deep down too. I take lyrica 75mgs at night and clonazepam 2 mg and ambien to help me sleep for the last few years and it usually helps but now I feel SO terrible I just don't know what to do.
    Should I see the doctor or just wait it out. Will this horrible horrible aching go away?????? I was managing my fibro just ok most of the time before this infection.
    Please help as I really dont know what to do.\
    Thankyou in advance,

2. gb66

gb66 Well-Known Member

I'm sorry you're feeling so bad. Is your infection under control now. Did those symptoms clear up?

There's no way of knowing what's causing the excess pain unless you see or call your doctor. It probably would be a good idea.

Having an infection may have just triggered the fibro or it may be something else. I hope you find out soon and feel better. GB66
  3. NR3456

NR3456 New Member

Hi Sue,

I know how you feel i am on the same dosage of lyrica and 5mg of clozapam a day. I think when you have an infection or you are sick your fibro can flare up. Anytime there is any inflammation in your body makes it worse. Thats what i was told. YOu could see your doctor just to be safe, i am still in pain everyday with the lyrica and clozapam that sometimes i take advil to relieve some of the pain. My doctors are not helping and my pain is becoming differnt and scary. I know how it feels to ache all the time. Try ice packs too i noticed that helps me. Heat makes me worse the next day. hope this was helpful.
  4. clementyne

clementyne New Member

From personal experience I would say that the infection triggered a flare. I have noticed that so many things can cause flares. Stress, illness, stormy weather, working too much/hard. Even having fun! Anything & everything can cause a flare! Doesn't seem fair, does it?

You could see your Dr. but I'm not sure how much help that would be - I don't think they have much more knowledge than we do! Maybe he could prescribe new meds & pain meds.

I have been on Savella for about a month now and it seems to be working for me. A lot of people here have told me they had to go off because of side effects but so far I haven't had any, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed! For me, I saw results in just a few days - read up - talk to your Dr. if you think you might want to try it.

There are things that I do when I have a flare that I feel help me. I take a hot bath in Dr. Teals Lavender Epsom Salts. The warm water relaxes me & the lavender scent relaxes me. I usually take a good book with me. This only lasts as long as I'm in the tub but while I'm in there it's nice!

In a flare, everything hurts - laying, sitting ... whatever but I try to relax as much as possible. Gentle yoga type stretching helps some, too. Of course, it hurts to do it but it does help. I have Vicodin for pain control, if all else fails. Since being on Savella, I have cut back considerably.

It is awful, being in a flare, but this is a good place to blow off steam. You can whine & complain to us because we won't think less of you!
    Sure hope you find some relief soon!