Bad FM Flare Up's?

Discussion in 'General Health & Wellness' started by jennisue, Oct 27, 2008.

1. jennisue

jennisue New Member

Hi,

I am new on here and I am very glad to have find a place to post. I was diagnosed with FM 3 years ago. The past month has been terrible with the worst case of fatigue and pain. Has anyone else had major flare up's with the change in weather recently? I live in South Carolina so the weather has finally cooled down, maybe too much too fast.

I teach 7th grade and it all I want to do is sleep. When I do sleep or nap I don't feel any better. I take Ultram and Cymbalta. I do not have the energy and I literally feel myself starting to crash and fall asleep if I am sitting down with the students. I have to stand up in order not to fall asleep. I also take Ambien at night to sleep or I wouldn't sleep at all. I do not feel refreshed and so exhausted that I am almost to the point of not functioning.

There is a lot of stress currently going on with teaching, house on market, finances, and taking a class on making peace with my past. I know the stress is a major factor and depression has become more severe. I am seeing my internist on Friday and my 6 month FM appt. with Rheumatologist is in November. I am wondering if it is all due to FM flare up or if there is something else going on to make me so fatigued. I don't have many sick days to take from teaching, so the holidays can't come fast enough!

Thanks,
    Jennifer
  2. TwoCatDoctors

TwoCatDoctors New Member

You mentioned it all---the holidays, your job, house on market, finances, the past, fibro, and depression. I have lupus and sometimes get a flare when I am under too much stress. Looking at what you wrote, you are under tremendous stress and stress impacts our immune systems and kicks up flares.

I live alone and have two fantastic cats that take care of me and "mother" me. At night watching TV, I usually have one or two cats with me purring that I am petting and the soft fur and the purring feels pretty nice AND RELAXING and it helps breaking through the stress. I'm glad you have the appointments and that is all good. Try to work on breathing techniques to relieve stress throughout the day and anything else you can do to relieve stress. Many hugs.
  3. kbak

kbak Member

Hi Jen,
    I have found that so many things cause flares. Weather, stress, working, everything. It's one of the bad things about fibro. You certainly have a boat load of things that would cause a flare! Everything your feeling is very common to fibro. But, you could have something else going on, and it would be very hard to track down because fibro mimics so many other things. I'll bet tho it's just a fibro flare. Talk it over with your Rheummy.

Take care,
    kbak
  4. SnooZQ

SnooZQ New Member

Hi Jennifer,

I've had fibro for over 4 yrs, onset coinciding with a very stressful time of my life. Since that time, I have been fortunate to communicate with many people, mostly women, who are fibro sufferers.

The conventional medical approach to treating & living with fibro is only one of numerous treatment modalities available. Many of us have found that we function much better with some of the more nonconventional approaches to treatment. In part, this is because many of the meds that conventional docs RX for fibro have side effects that sort of feed into the downhill fibro spiral . In the short run, there is a little relief, but in the longer term, it's net downhill.

This past year, even before the financial market problems, has been the most stressful year of my life ever, to date. I am very pleased that my fibro remains very well controlled under these circumstances. I say this only to give you hope. Improvement IS possible. However, if I had left my treatment entirely in the hands of my internist & rheumatologist, my progress would have been very slight.

For an overview on some of the many fibro treatment modalities, I highly recommend 2 books by Jacob Teitelbaum, M.D.: From Fatigued to Fantastic, and Pain-Free 1 - 2 - 3. In these books you will find thoughtful commentary, both pro and con, on conventional medical, alternative, and self-help techniques for fibro and chronic fatigue.

There are some tests you might want to consider requesting from your internist. Most important is a COMPLETE thyroid panel, if this has not been done recently. TSH screen is not adequate, as in many cases of fibro & CFS the hypothalamus & pituitary are a little underpowered. So request specifically, the tests Free T3, Free T4, and thyroid antibodies. If either of the levels of free hormones is in the lowest quandrant of the normal reference range, or below, you should request a trial of low-dose thyroid hormone. The other hormone test to request is testosterone level, especially if you have low libido in addition to your overall low energy. It is always a good idea to get a hard copy printout of your lab results, rather than relying on pass/fail from the lips of medical staff.

If I sound preachy on this, it is because, IME, even mild hormone deficiencies can complicate, or intensify, and in some cases, be the primary cause, of fibro & chronic fatigue.

Best wishes to you. You may also want to check out the fibro & ME/chronic fatigue boards here at Pro Health, if you haven't already done so.
  5. robin1667

robin1667 New Member

Ask your Dr. about a sleep study. Does it run in your family,sleep apnea? Has anyone in your family been checked?
    I had the same problems referring to unrefreshed sleep, always feeling drugged out. Wanting to fall asleep all the time. My mother has sleep apnea. I am told it is hereitary. I was tested and found that I have it also. Have you woken up gasping? Heart pounding? Sweats? It can also cause pain,because our bodies don't get enopugh oxygen when we sleep.
    I know all the stress we have can cause these problems, a number of things can.
    Some Dr.'s are not even aware of what sleep apnea is. I've 2 that asked me what my symptoms were because they didn't know anything about it! A pulmonologist sent me for the test.
    I've had sleep therapy for 3 months now. I still have days with pain and tiredness, but I'm told some people take longer to recover. I'm not as tired during the day,my palpatations are gone and so are the sweats
    It is worth getting it checked out. It can cause a heart attack in our sleep, diabetes and a number of health problems.
    Hope this helps,take care. Robin