BAD NEWS

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Hypo, Nov 4, 2002.

1. Hypo

Hypo New Member

Hi I posted earlier saying that I at last foubd a Dr. from the youger generation who was willing to accept FM. I however got a phone call from him yesterday saying that he was at some or other symposium over the weekend and was the odd one out. NONE of the other Dr.'s, Phycisions and even shrinks truly believe in it. All in the head!! Anyway he is now not prepared to go further or to even see me. Said it would be sticking his neck out and being young was not prepared to do it. I asked him straight if this now has changed his mind. He said no I still believe that there is a condition called FM. He was of the opinion that the other Dr.'s believe that if an illness or conditon cannot be confirmed by a blood test of something similar then it does not exist. I feel very sorry for him but am also mad because he is not willing to take a standpoint in his own believes. So where does this leave me now - right back to 4 years ago when I started with my struggle. I give up! Regards
  2. Hypo

Hypo New Member

Hi I posted earlier saying that I at last foubd a Dr. from the youger generation who was willing to accept FM. I however got a phone call from him yesterday saying that he was at some or other symposium over the weekend and was the odd one out. NONE of the other Dr.'s, Phycisions and even shrinks truly believe in it. All in the head!! Anyway he is now not prepared to go further or to even see me. Said it would be sticking his neck out and being young was not prepared to do it. I asked him straight if this now has changed his mind. He said no I still believe that there is a condition called FM. He was of the opinion that the other Dr.'s believe that if an illness or conditon cannot be confirmed by a blood test of something similar then it does not exist. I feel very sorry for him but am also mad because he is not willing to take a standpoint in his own believes. So where does this leave me now - right back to 4 years ago when I started with my struggle. I give up! Regards
  3. missvickielynn

missvickielynn New Member

I am so sorry you have been disappointed by this Doctor, especially after having gotten your hopes up that you had found some help.

I have been seeing my Doc since 1996, when she spoke at the local CFS/FMS support group. When I first started seeing her, I was still working full time (haven't worked since Dec. 2000), and had good insurance. In the beginning, she was wonderful, took extra time, and was always willing to let me try whatever regimen I wanted to. I always took her research to support whatever I wanted to try, and she always seemed very glad to have it.

But over time, it became obvious from comments she would make, that she was operating on outdated knowledge about FMS, and didn't know much about CFIDS at all. And she tended to slip into the "pull yourself up by your bootstraps" mode, and focus on depression as the main problem. I cant tell you how many times, still to this day, she tells me about her "one patient who has FM who has gone back to work full time". She has, however, begrudgingly admitted that this patient apparantly does not have CFIDS.

The more ill I have become, the more my Doc's patience has declined. In fact, I can match the changes in her attitude towards me with the calendar, in terms of when I got fired and no longer had insurance, and as I slowly reached the point that I had to ask her to help me get my meds from the Pharmaceutical companies. And even though she told me when I first lost my job that I should "get out of denial about my health and file for SSDI", and promised her support......now that I have actually done it(just finished the green form a little over 2 weeks ago), her attitude has taken a major nose-dive. At least she is still refilling my meds and helping me to get them......even if she doesn't do it on time, and lets me run out of Ultram.....

What a shame that the almighty Dollar rules the world now more than ever. And treating out illnesses is just not cost-effective for the average Doc. And the people who can afford the famous "CFS/FMS Experts" are lucky indeed, and spend tons of money to see them.

Again, I am sorry for your let-down! I know how you feel! I pray every day now that God will speak to my Doc's heart, and help her to know that my life depends on her in no uncertain terms. I will add you (and the Doc who disappointed you, and all Docs like him) to my prayer list.

I wish you luck and some pain-free days!

Vickie
  4. nancyneptune

nancyneptune New Member

that guy is full of it. My rheumy said 75% of rheumatologists believe there's a real illness called FM. He believes strongly about it.
    Also why would he be sticking his neck out in any way just treating you for it. No one asked him to publish a book on it for heavens sake.
    [This Message was Edited on 11/04/2002]
  5. NancyAnn

NancyAnn New Member

There was a large Pain Management Conference (Worldwide attendance) that had a large following of physicians who are now hearing the research and truly beginning to educate themselves on how to treat "us". Dr. Robert Bennett is a leader in educating the "non-believers" in the research and truth to our pain and need for treatment. You can read about this seminar at Portland, Oregon's FM site (myalgia.com). It's uplifting for our spirits to know that proper treatment and understanding is FINALLY spreading. I know that my rheumotologist is doing his best to help me cope with this awful condition. His "bedside" manner is not too good...he can act like Scrooge as long as he knows how to treat my pain and depression. I do believe that we have to give our physicians material to get them on the right path. Odd how even physicians can give in to peer pressure even if it goes against the "do no harm" promise. Actually, I believe that there is a new law regarding patients rights....patient's pain MUST be treated or the physician can be sued and/or face disciplinary actions by the medical community. Keep searching for the right doctor. It took me quite awhile but I found one.. Good luck!
  6. Hypo

Hypo New Member

Thanks everyone for the support. His reason why he won't see me anymore, not with regards to FM anyway,is that he is young and has still to be accepted by the older Dr.s. If he now goes ahead with views that are frowned on by the others it with affect his status in the Dr. community! So why bother to study and take an oath to help people if being accepted by other Dr.'s takes priority. Funny world we live in. Regards
  7. achy

achy New Member

Many of us have been there. I still have the scars from insensitive jerks like him. My doc is very young. Graduated 1 year ago, 15th in a class of 100. Not only does he "stick his neck out" by believing in what others donn't, he Rx's Oxycontin for me.
    If he is more concerned of what other Docs think of him than his patients wellbeing I would run for the door.
    I know finding another doc is a pain...literally. Do you have a local support group you could ask about a doc? Or the local arthritis foundation office?
    Wish I could offer more,
    Warm Fuzzies
    Achy
  8. Hypo

Hypo New Member

I have been on the internet to search but our local internet data is not so up to date. I live in South Africa.
    Regards
  9. jpswife_4boys

jpswife_4boys New Member

I'll have better news for us! I work for a lady who's husband is the head anesthesiologist of our hospital. They were going outta of town to a dr. meeting. This lady is a very good friend to me. She said she will mention to the other drs. about fm. Hopefully she will have good news to tell me. She is the one who insisted I be presistant with the drs. in finding out what's wrong with me. She said that if the drs. themselves were the ones ill or their children they would be sure to persue the issues of their illness. I'll be sure to let you know if she found out anything for us.

Crissie