Bad nightmares after stopping Ambien?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Manwithfibro, Aug 14, 2003.

1. Manwithfibro

Manwithfibro New Member

If I take Ambien for a couple nights then stop it, I get awful nightmares. Anyone else have this problem?
  2. jadibeler

jadibeler New Member

How long have you been taking Ambien? I assume you did not have the nightmares before the Ambien. I had them before the Ambien, that was the purpose for taking it. Ditto for Paxil, and if I stop that I get really weird dreams. But, as I said, I had them without it to start with. I haven't taken Ambien for so long, I don't remember but it seems to me as long as I had the Paxil, it kept them at bay.

It is certainly possible for coming off an addicting medication to cause something like this if you've been taking it for a long time. How long have you tried going without it? The nightmares should stop after it gets out of your system if that is the cause.

JoAnn
  3. kredca4

kredca4 New Member

They gave me Nightmares, so I quit taking them.
    I find that if I'm wound up and my other Pain meds aren't helping me to sleep, I take a Xanax. Works well for me, but I still only get about 4 hours sleep, but it's 4 striaght hours.

Good luck,
    sharon
  4. Manwithfibro

Manwithfibro New Member

Hate it...Seems like Ambien can be a dangerous drug.
  5. AC77

AC77 New Member

I am the Ambien 'Pro' LOL. I have been on it forever. And it does sort of still help me relax at night but never makes me sleep. I notice more and more people are having a very real withdrawl type syndrome from Ambien. I think maybe that could be what we go through when we have taken it a while and then stop. Maybe weaning the dose over a few weeks would help. I have tried this and its OK. I had to add Klonopin to help with the 'withdrawl' anxiety, in very low doses. Nightmares seem a common thing when starting and also when stopping Ambien.

6. selma

selma New Member

Taking it for a long time (years). Hope Someday to stop it. Remember to cut down slowly or it's Cold Turkey.
    Love, Selma