Bad Pain around Waist/Ribs Anyone Else?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by PolarBear, Aug 11, 2006.

1. PolarBear

PolarBear New Member

Hi,

Do any of you experience very bad pain around your waist and into your stomach/rib/back area? I feel this pain nearly every morning and today it is worse than ever.

I am on morphine (Avinza) for pain and Zanaflex and that still doesn't seem to touch the pain. I'm also on Cortef for inflammation. I have connective tissue disease as well as fibro/MFPS. I also have arthritis in my low back and have cortisone injections into my SI joints. My last injections were in June.

I have read about costochondritis (sp) on this board. Do you think it would include pain around my waist (low) and into my stomach too?

Do you have any tips on how to deal with this pain?

Thanks,
    PolarBear
  2. Txslady

Txslady New Member

When I have that pain it is usually my colon trying to push things along and ends up in a spasm. I have IBS C & D, everyday is different. I also have adhesions so that makes it worse. There are times when I end up with such intense cramps that I will break a sweat and almost pass out.

Shannon
  3. jacqualyn

jacqualyn New Member

Hi,

I have the same thing. Sometimes I feel like I can't breathe because of the pain in my ribs. I too had the injections. Did they work for you? They didn't do anything for me. Just made me hurt more. I use a heating pad alot. I bought an extra large one that gives off moist heat. I lay down and wrap it around my ribcage. It helps for a little while. I take Duragesic Patches and Vicodin for the pain and like you sometimes the pain doesn't go away no matter what you do. Have you tried muscle relaxants? Maybe that would help.
  4. louiesgirl2

louiesgirl2 New Member

Have you had any tests to see if it is your gallbladder, or pancreas? Shingles? I would get checked.
  5. Adl123

Adl123 New Member

Deear Polar Bear,
    I have pain around my rib cae, but it is not as bad as yours. Mine is from Fibro. I usually wear a sportsbra, even though I don't like the way it makes me look, but I just can't tolerate a regular one. I even have broken veins, like small vericose veins, around that area.

Sorry it is so bad for you.
    Hugs,
    Terry
  6. charlenef

charlenef New Member

this sounds like cmp pulling your stomach possible hiatis hernia.lay on your back put your 4 fingers under you ribs and find the muscle under there and rub back and forth this should release it.if this helps you can do this all around your side in to your back dont over do it at first or you will feel worse. good luck charlene i get this also this is what helps me
  7. darude

darude New Member

I have had this recently and went to ER as it got so bad. They said it was muscular and then on XRAY it showed my intestines are full of stool. I DON't have constipation tho so I figure now its covering something up. More tests coming next week.
  8. PolarBear

PolarBear New Member

Thanks for your replies . . . I'll have to write more later. I wound up with the stomach bug that is going around . . . yuck!

PolarBear
  9. PolarBear

PolarBear New Member

Hi, I just wanted to take a moment to thank you for your replies.

Shannon - I have IBS too. The pain I'm feeling however seems to be muscular, not cramping. I feel for you having such difficulties.

Jacqualyn - I understand what you mean about hurting so much it hurts to breathe. This mainly happens in the morning before I get out of bed. It hurts so much I get up instead of laying there resting. The SI injections seem to work for me, but don't last too long before the pain starts coming back. So far I have had two of them, 6 months apart. By the time it is time for me to go back, I can hardly walk and bending over is excrutiating for me. So, by then, I'm ready for it! Thanks for reminding me about using a heating pad. I have one somewhere, but the idea of an oversized one sounds wonderful. I may have to go shopping, lol! I do take a muscle relaxant, Zanaflex, but it makes me sleepy so I only take a little. That's probably part of my problem.

Louisgirl - thanks for your thoughts . . . but I really think it is muscular. I see my pain doc this Wed. I'll ask her about it.

Terry - I hate wearing a bra and take it off as often as possible . . . usually wear dark colored, loose fitting t-shirts. I haven't tried a sports bra . . . hmmm . . . maybe that would work better. Thanks for the idea.

Charlene - You know, I do have a hiatal hernia . . . I will try what you suggested. Thanks.

Darude - I do suffer with constipation, but this pain has been going on forever and there are times when things are normal in that regard, so I don't think that's it. I sure hope everything turns out ok for you. Good luck with the tests and thanks for your thoughts.

Thanks again!

Hugs,
    PolarBear

10. PolarBear

PolarBear New Member

11. makezmuzic

makezmuzic New Member

Hello PolarBear, new member here. I've had costo for over two years now. I have fibro, CF, and several lung diseases. I recently had an open lung biopsy and I don't think my ribs are even ready to forgive me. LOL!

I can relate to what you are feeling, I go to bed and wake up feeling like someone has been wacking my ribs with a "whiffle bat". I hope you don't have it. Its recently included my upper stomach/diaphram. I'm on methadone and codone. Costo is one of the reasons I had to stop performing.

The worst part for me (besides not being able to sing publicly) is having to do pulmonary rehab that means a lot of coughing and deep breathing. I'm useless after each session.

I hope you have something else. Take care.
    [This Message was Edited on 08/15/2006]
  12. PolarBear

PolarBear New Member

Hi,

Nancy - thanks so much for the information . . . I'm going to my pain management doc today and will ask her about it too. One of the symptoms that I don't have is sharp stabbing pains, but other than that it seems to fit!

Makezmuzic - awww I'm so sorry you are having such a time of it with your lungs. Also, welcome to the board! I come here every day and learn something new. It feels so good to know that there are others here who experience the same things I do.

Hugs to both of you,
    PolarBear
  13. PolarBear

PolarBear New Member

Hi Nancy (and anyone else who is interested),

Well to sum it up, my pain doc really didn't address my rib pain much, mainly focused on the fact that I had fallen and need to give myself time to heal. She asked if my rib pain was happening prior to my fall and I said yes, but it is much worse now. So she's probably waiting until I see her next to address it if it is still happening. I will see my rheumy before I see her again, and she is probably the one who should be addressing it anyway.

I keep thinking I'm 20 still and that my body should be able to just bounce back after an injury, lol. Not only that, but I guess I'm still in a bit of denial that I'm sick and it takes me longer to heal.

She said to stay on the diuretic for a couple of more weeks, go off of it for 3 days and then if I still have swelling, try alternating days with my Bi-Est cream. Turns out that Bi-Est (or estrogen) can enhance human growth hormone and HGH can cause edema.

The swelling in my legs is better this week, thank Goodness. They were huge this weekend (I decided to try to go off my diuretic) so I went back on it on Monday and seem better. That is such an uncomfortable feeling and adds to my pain tremendously.

She also said that my thyroid is within normal limit, but a bit on the low side, so I agreed to try Armour Thyroid (I'm currently on Levoxyl). I'm going to wean the Levoxyl while starting the Armour. Then go for another lab test.

She also wrote out a prescription for physical therapy. She said I probably twisted my spine pretty good when I fell. I sure am hurting still, especially in my low back, around my waist. The only thing is, when I did physical therapy in the past (about 4 years ago) it made things worse. But, I wasn't injured at the time either. So, I'll see how I'm feeling next week and if not better, I'll check into going. Last time I went it was expensive, even with insurance.

Anyway, thanks for caring . . . I hope all goes well with your rheumy appt. Let me know . .

Hugs,
    PolarBear
  14. PolarBear

PolarBear New Member

bumpity . . .

PolarBear