Bad results from cardiac chemical stress test?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Pennygirl2, May 26, 2008.

1. Pennygirl2

Pennygirl2 New Member

I am supposed to have a cardiac stress test using the chemicals. I have read of very bad reactions for us ME/CFS'rs. I told him I have a low tolerance for such things and he just really didn't listen. He is doing it more as just "Let' see about CAD because of heart attacks in family, but I think I will have a very bad reaction and recovery from this test. I do think there is a heart connection with this illness but don't think this test is a first step in diagnosing. He probably doesn't believe in CFS, by the way. I am considering cancelling the test???
    I think I will just get even worse than I am now which is very low functioning. thanks for your comments: Penny
  2. momof27

momof27 New Member

3. kat0465

kat0465 New Member

Hi Penny,
    i am very wary too of anything like that, in fact about a month ago i cancelled mine. for one the chemical thing scared me, i had just had a hysterectomy 3 weeks before and the pain meds they used on me did a number on my heart, not to mention all the anestheaia & the surgery itself.
    Also the doc was a real horses%*&#@#@ when i mentioned having Cfids, Fibro, & now no hormones. he stopped me mid sentence, said he didnt care about any of that & i needed to find me a good woman GP to talk to about all of that stuff.then he makes me an appt for all thses tests including the chemical stress.Well when i got home i cancelled all the tests. i refuse to let one more Dr. just throw me under the bus, do whatever he wants, and not listen to a thing i have to say just because he's a Dr.
    Bottom Line , we are more sensitive to Drugs, Chemicals, And other things most people can handle fine. If your uncomfortable, then either ask for the treadmill stress, ( If thats Possible)or tell then NO WAY! thereres lots of other tests they can do to find out what they need.
    You sure dont need anything else adding to your feeling bad, cause take it from me,it probably will!
    Like my friend told me, we have to Paddle our own canoe, and do what we think is good for us.Sorry if i rambled, but been there & done that!lol hope your feeling better soon! {{ Hugs}} Kat
  4. Pennygirl2

Pennygirl2 New Member

Hi and thanks for answering so fast. I am so sorry you had a hysterectomy and all the attendant meds, etc. I know it must have really weakened you for a long time. That terrible doctor is sadly not so unique. I took some very concise information to mine about the cardiac connection and CFS and he wouldn't even look at it.
    They sure do think they are Gods and don't listen to us who live like invalids and have to be stronger in spirit than they could ever hope to be. I really appreciate your input and glad to hear you didn't do that test or others either, especially in a weakened condition. I am 90% sure I am going to cancel. Hugs to you, Penny
  5. Pennygirl2

Pennygirl2 New Member

thanks for bump, mom of 27. I appreciate it. I notice your input on this board a lot and we all appreciate it. (((((mom of 27)))))). Penny
  6. gapsych

gapsych New Member

I had extra heart beats which caused me to almost pass out and I was hospitalized. The speculation was that it was the BP med. I had just started. They were going to have me do the cardiac stress test. The doctor had put on the order to have the test where your heart is stimulated by the medication because he read I had fibromyalgia.

I did not know that this was going to happen until they took me to where the test is given and the nurse was explaining what they were going to do. When I heard that they were going to use the medication, I told the nurse how sensitive I am and she said that it would just feel like a I had a cup of coffee.

I then asked to see the cardiologist who was giving me the test and he said that they really only want to get your heartbeat up to a certain point and if I would like to try it with the treadmill I could. I did and I did fine and had another day to rest in the hospital. Surprisingly, I did not crash. It turned out it was indeed the medication causing the irregular heartbeat.

This is my personal experience and your circumstances may be very different. I know when they told me about giving me the medication, I almost freaked out. I was really lucky to have a cardiologist who was willing to take time to talk to me.

Personally, I was glad to get the test as I was relieved that there that my heart was fine. Would I have had the other test if it was the only option. I don't know. However there is a doctor with you the whole time if you are getting the same test.

It seemed like I had heard of people being able to use something, kind of like bicycle pedals that you rotate with your arms so you can sit down while raising your heart rate.

Can you get a second opinion since this doctor seemed dismissive. Was this test recommended by your PCP or was the doctor you saw a cariologist.

Hopefully other people can give you feedback.

This is very much a personal choice you will have to and it is not an easy choice.

Good luck,

PS I just thought of something. Since I had been on a saline IV, I wonder if that is why I did not crash and felt well enough to do the test. I do not think I was hooked up to that IV for the test, just the one to infect you with the raioactive dye (?). But this may have nothing to do with the fact I did not crash. Just a thought.
  7. msbsgblue

msbsgblue Member

I have been very ill with this illness and arthritis for 20 years. Don't think you will have a problem. They are right there with you and if you have any reaction to it they can counter act it.
  8. tamsyn

tamsyn Member

Hi! I've had heart tests with chemicals/drugs at least twice and had no problem. I've had CFS/ME for a long time and often crash but not from the heart tests. Good luck!
  9. Mom2Hayley

Mom2Hayley New Member

I had the cardiolite stress test with treadmill 3 years ago, and in March I had it with the radiative dye to speed up your heart rate since I can no longer do the treadmill with FMS. I had the cardiac Pet scan this month. Both times I had nausea from the 4 minute test, but was fine afterwards. I don't think you will have a problem. Plus, they monitor you by a doc, a radiologist and a nurse the whole time.

I think it is best to have your heart checked. I have chest pain and SOB so it is good to know my tests were normal.
  10. meditationlotus

meditationlotus New Member

wanted to do this same test with me. I told him that I was hypoglycemic and would last last the long test nor the stress because I would be required to do without food for such a long time.

He changed the test to a regular treadmill test, and it went much better.
  11. Empower

Empower New Member

My doc also thinks I need the chemical stress test, and I am too afraid to do it

I think if I HAVE to have the test, I will try to do the treadmill, although I am also hypoglycemic and don't know how I will make it through the test

Do you have to fast for the stress test????