badly swollen feet + legs

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by clueless, Mar 26, 2003.

1. clueless

clueless New Member

Does anyone else have the problem of badly swollen feet + legs? It has gotten to the point that I can hardly get any shoes on. I feel like I am walking on a pad, the bottoms are so swollen. I went Cluelessto the doctor + of course he thought water retention but the meds. he gave me gave no relief. Can this be another side effect of fibro.?
  2. Shirl

Shirl New Member

I can't say 'yes' for sure its another side effect of Fibro, but I had that so bad a couple of years ago, not the legs, just the swollen, hurting feet. I felt like I was walking on a thick plush carpet they were so swollen in the mornings, or if I took a nap, when I got up for two hours of being in bed I had to use the walls to get where I was going.

It seem to have stopped when I started taking magnesium! I am not sure that is what solved it, but it has not come back since.

I used to soak them in Epson Salts and Peroxide, it did help, but I think the magnesium did the trick! I can now wear my high heels again! For awhile I was buying all kinds of shoes that I thought would help, pads for the shoes too. Nothing really helped.

I just gave away a whole bag of shoes to an Abused Woman's Shelter that I had bought because of my feet!

I also started drinking half my body weight in ounces of water a day, plus a quarter teaspoon of sea salt during the day. I don't know if this also helped. Its hard sometimes to put your finger on what helped with what with these illnesses!

Shalom, Shirl

3. ColleenD

ColleenD New Member

My feet are visibly not swollen, but they feel swollen & hot. Venastat from any drugstore (also called horse chestnut extract which can be purchased cheaper at VitaminShoppe.com) has helped deep pain in feet. Is known specifically for varicose vein problems, leg pain, but now also for sciatic nerve control. After 2 weeks of taking Venastat, I could tell it was working. I still take 2 caps a day faithfully.
  4. Plantscaper

Plantscaper New Member

I am having this symptom, right now..Does anyone know why or what treatment to use..
  5. JLH

JLH New Member

if your badly swollen feet and legs have only been that way for a few weeks, you should go to the ER.

My feet and legs had been swelling for about six weeks. They got to the point that I could not get my shoes on either.

I went to the ER and was admitted to the hosital for congestive heart failure! I'm only 52, but could happen to those younger, too!

Please get it checked out! Not all of our problems are related to FMS!
  6. janet38

janet38 New Member

i was dx last summer .my legs,feet all the way up to lungs was swollen with pitted edema..my lungs had fluid,and i had fluid around my heart.it came from a viral infection.it almost took my life.i am 38....janet
  7. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

This could be symptoms of a more serious problem. Get to the doc or ER.

Love, Mikie