Baker's cyst

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by mumsiej, Aug 31, 2002.

1. mumsiej

mumsiej New Member

Howdy everyone,

I have been diagnosed with fibro for over two years and have been fortunate enough to not have any leg pain.
    Obviously I spoke too soon--evidentally I over did and my leg and knee started really hurting. My pcp sent me to the ortho dr. I have what is called a Baker's Cyst--it really isn't a cyst--but usually caused by arthritis or "bracing" which causes a tear in the connective tissue of the knee. The medical name for this is fibromyositis. Does or has anyone had it.????

~~~Mumsie~~~
  2. mumsiej

mumsiej New Member

Howdy everyone,

I have been diagnosed with fibro for over two years and have been fortunate enough to not have any leg pain.
    Obviously I spoke too soon--evidentally I over did and my leg and knee started really hurting. My pcp sent me to the ortho dr. I have what is called a Baker's Cyst--it really isn't a cyst--but usually caused by arthritis or "bracing" which causes a tear in the connective tissue of the knee. The medical name for this is fibromyositis. Does or has anyone had it.????

~~~Mumsie~~~
  3. kredca4

kredca4 New Member

I don't get them but one of my Sisters does. She's had thoes off and on for years. I don't recall what she did for them treatment wise.
    She's coming here today for a visit, she lives in SanDiego with one of my Brothers. He has Anklosying Spondilitis, and FMS and She has, along with the rest of my sisters, FMS. We all have DDD and OA taboot.

I have the FMS/MPS Combo, but have not been bothered by the bakers cyst. I know if my Sister isn't careful she does get infections in her legs alot. This year she had a case of Cellulitis and they put her on Antibotics for it.

I'll try to remember what she does for them. She used to be a homecare provider for the folks that were housebound and she learned quite a lot from that experience, almost as much as a nurse. I remember trying to get her to go to school and offically become an RN. But she like doing what she was doing and she was good at it.

Now she's my Brothers caregiver, even tho she's as badoff as he is. He's totally house bound now.

Anyway, sorry that you have one of thoes things, I hope you are keeping the leg evelated. I do remember her keeping the leg proped up on a foot stool alot when she had one.

Hope you find some relief, what did your Doctor tell you do for it? Just wondering?

Sincerely,
    kredca4
  4. MicheleF

MicheleF New Member

Just wanted to say hi and hope your leg & knee feel better soon. Let us know how you're doing.

Best wishes. Take care. Michele
  5. roro

roro New Member

Is it like a ganglion cyst? I have one of those on my wrist.
  6. Shirl

Shirl New Member

I found the article below, is this what you are talking about? It is listed with Fibromyalgia, but has some other symptoms along with it. I just put the part of the article related to what you asked, it can be found on the Yahoo.com site. Just type in Fibromyositis, and it will bring up a lot of articles on it along with Fibromyalgia.

Hope this is of some help.

Shalom, Shirl

Polymyalgia rheumatica occurs in patients over age 50 and is characterized by stiffness and pain in shoulder and hip musculature. Despite symptoms of pain localized to muscles, there is convincing evidence that the disease includes a proximal, inflammatory arthritis; joint effusions (fluid in joint) are often present in knees and other peripheral joints as well. Patients often develop profound disuse atrophy (a wasting or diminution of size) of muscles and complain of weakness, giving rise to a suspicion of polymyositis (inflammation of many muscles).

------------------------------------------------------------

What separates this from Fibromyalgia is the inflammation in the muscles, as Fibromyalgia has no inflammation. Actually it sounds more like an arthritic problem.

7. kredca4

kredca4 New Member

"Bakers Cyst, (Popliteal cyst),
    In the hollow bit at the back of the knee is a Bursa, (a small sack of fluid), used to help lubricate the joint.

A fairly uncommon condition is when the back if the joint gets swollen and causes the Bursa to swell also.

Usually some of the disorder of the knee causes the Synovial (lubricating) fluid within the knee joint to increase.

This then spills into the bursa at the back of the knee causing it to increase in size."

There's more information about this and also an image of what a cyst looks like, at the following site;
    http://www.sportsinjuryclinic.net/cybertherapist/back/backknee/bakerscyst.htm

also another good site that I use is,
    http://www.nim.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/001222.htm

I get a lot of information on other conditions that plagues my family, they are always asking me for advise, what do they think I am, a Medical expert, lol.

My Sister say's she hasn't been bothered by them since the cartlage in her knees wore out. she's walking, barely, with her knee joints rubbing togeather. She has other Health problems that keeps her from haveing knee replacement surgery.

They usually go away by themselves, but they can get bad, so if someone has one for a while they should see a Doctor.

Hope thoes sites help, and have a good evening.
    Sincerely,
    kredca4

8. mumsiej

mumsiej New Member

After I posted concerning my Baker's cyst, my ortho dr aspirated the back of my knee and took out a couple vials of fluid and then shot corteseone into the front of my knee. I was sure this would give me relief but it has not and I am still limping around. I do have arthritis, but I am beginning to think this may be partly fibro related.
    I remember that when the rheumy checked pressure points, there was one on the inside of each knee and that is where I am having the pain. Don't know what to do now--I am getting tired of sitting.

Mumsie