Baking Soda as an Eye Wash

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia and ME & Chronic Fatigue Syndrome' started by woofmom, Mar 14, 2008.

1. woofmom

woofmom New Member

Mold spores from outside are beginning to affect me. My eyelids are getting puffy, my eyes are getting red and my nose is stuffy. Last nite I thought: Well, sodium bicarbonate is natural to the body. It is safely and successfuly being used in agriculture as a contact fungicide. I mixed a weak solution of baking soda and water, used it in my ears, nose, and eyes. It worked like magic and has no side effects other than a little itching and slight burning from my rubbing and/or scratching my eyelids. And before any one jumps in and says that it's dangerous: It's a heck of a lot less dangerous than chlorine in swimming pools which no one feels the need to warn others about.
    [This Message was Edited on 03/14/2008]
    Waynesrhythm likes this.
  2. woofmom

woofmom New Member

I boil the water first then mix the soda in and let the grit settle to the bottom of the glass. Then I pour the top part of the water in another glass. I'm also having a hard time believing anything so simple and cheap can work as well as it has for me.
  3. woofmom

woofmom New Member

But I do sterilize the glass much the same way as I used to sterizile glass baby bottles. And I believe I pick up just as many, if not more, germs just by opening my eyes. Any day the wind is blowing I have gotten gritty particles of dirt and/or sand in my eyes.
  4. obrnlc

obrnlc New Member

actually it is sodium CHLORIDE that is natural to the body (saline) in a .09% solution. Sodium BICARB is given to alkalize an acidotic state, but since i know that topic has been done to death on here--my only comment is
    I SCOUR MY POTS AND PANS with it, and it works wonders! also on counter tops, but on the eyeballs??? OUCH!!

great cleaning solution though, really makes those metals and counters shine! --L
  5. woofmom

woofmom New Member

Actually it is natural to the body. Duodenal cells secrete the hormone secretin which tells the pancreas to put out sodium bicarbonate.
    Waynesrhythm likes this.
  6. woofmom

woofmom New Member

Why are you so against a natural substance that is working for me? And now it seems you feel the need to try and belittle the wonderful results I'm experiencing by using plain old baking soda. You've stated numerous times that you just want to let people know that seemingly harmless substances can be unhealthy. There are thousands, if not millions, of things that are far more hazardous than baking soda. Would not your purpose be better served by alerting members of the side effects of medications which can be much, much worse than using a little baking soda. Or by alerting them about the chlorine in swimming pools. Would it not be better to point members towards articles giving both the pros and cons of certain substances rather than just posting the negative effects of these substances. As far as I know every member of this board can decide for themselves whether or not they chose to use anything, be it medicine, supplements, herbs, or baking soda.
    [This Message was Edited on 03/15/2008]
    Waynesrhythm likes this.
  7. woofmom

woofmom New Member

Granules of sand can irritate and damage my eyes much more than baking soda when the wind is gusting at 50 miles an hour. Because you are concerned about my corneas wouldn't it better serve your purpose to warn me to wear eye protection on extremely windy days.
    Waynesrhythm likes this.
  8. Janalynn

Janalynn New Member

Thank God there was further discussion on this because I read "baking soda in the eyes" and my first thought was some body is gonna run out and do the same thing without any precautions.
    There have been tons of questions asking "how to, how much" with baking soda -so we know that they are going to do it (perfectly fine), however - those same people may now be putting baking soda in their eyes without futher explanation of how to and THAT's what I don't like. My business, no, but like others here, I do care.
  9. woofmom

woofmom New Member

What ever happened to: "I'm glad it's working for you". Or: "It's great that you're solving your health problems without using prescrition meds that can have serious side effects". Rather than pick out one specific thread and pick it to pieces, wouldn't it be better to use all this energy by responding to unanswered posts. And, like it or not, I know my body better than anyone else. And I know without a doubt what is working for me. This fact seems to help empower me in that I don't have to shell out thousands of dollars for treatments that just cover up my symptoms and do nothing to make me better healthwise. This is a wonderful feeling both mentally and physically.
    Waynesrhythm likes this.
  10. springrose22

springrose22 New Member

I am glad that this is working for you, but I do have to say, that I am surprised that it is, and I am also happy that it hasn't done any harm, which it certainly could. Take care. Marie
  11. obrnlc

obrnlc New Member

we are a desparate bunch, and rightly so, but would hate to have anyone try something they read on here that would be harmful out of desparation.

woofmom--
    one would hope that we all have the sense to wear eye protection in a 50mph sandstorm and wouldn't need to advise others not to, but if anyone spoke of it as a helpful solution we would warn against that also.

bicarb is made by our bodies in amounts to alkalize the system, to maintain the perfect acid-base proportions that our bodies need, not spilled out in senseless amounts, which could actually be WHY your eyelids are puffy to begin with.

i am glad you feel this works for you, just hate to see you or anyone else kill or injure themselves, and i am grateful for posters such as kina who remind us about cautious behavior. I think she had a great analogy and hope others read this thread before trying such a thing, although if you feel better, then i am happy for you.

i would hate to see the day, though, that there are suddenly no more postings from you due to a serious side effect or even death, so i do hope you do a little biology/chemistry research, and that others don't blindly "follow the lamb to slaughter".

good luck, and be careful--L
  12. woofmom

woofmom New Member

I no longer get any type of headaches. My blood pressure and heart rate are now excellent. I no longer have to wear an odor control mask or respirator when I go to stores. The lump on the back of my neck is shrinking. I very seldom have any allergy type symptoms. I no longer have pain in my spleen area. My eyelids no longer swell. My red eyes are clearing up. My energy level is back to where it was 20 years ago. I wake up refreshed and alert. I no longer get shooting pains in different areas of my body. I can breathe much deeper. My excess fat is disappearing...... I asked the pharmacist where my BF gets his prescription meds if a weak solution of baking soda and water would hurt my eyes if I used it for an eyewash. He said not unless I dumped a whole box in my eyes. Unless I'm mistaken pharmacist are required to know about chemistry. Therefore when I need info, I ask him. Because I've eliminated most of the toxins from my brain I not only do my own research but I can understand what I read. Therefore I very seldom need to ask this pharmacist about anything. In fact, he sometimes asks me about some of the things I use. He has also suggested a few times that I go back to college and get a PhD. I tell him I'm not interested. But we both agree that clearing poisons from the brain does wonders for mental and physical health. And we both agree that using things that are natural to the body is a lot safer than putting foreign substances in it. This man is a pharmacist and he told me that it is quite possible that I may never need prescription or over the counter meds again. He has watched me go from being bearly able to function to being vibrant, active, funny, personable, extremely intelligent, and happy. Apparently what I'm doing is working better than anything I could have ever imagined, baking soda and all.
    Waynesrhythm likes this.