Baking soda on skin present any problem? Your thoughts, please

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by onedaymagpie, Jul 15, 2006.

1. onedaymagpie

onedaymagpie New Member

Hi everyone:

My question is: Do you think there is any problem with having baking soda sitting on your skin for an extended period - like for a couple of weeks?

Here's why I ask: I've had a cast on my broken arm for a little while now and especially with the hot weather, it is getting a bit stinky and sticky.

So tonight I had the bright idea of putting a little baking soda into the open end of my cast by the fingers and then trying to dust out any extra.

Actually, it worked great as far as much reduced odor and no stickiness. I would like to continue this procedure, as I have the cast for another couple weeks.

Anyone know of any problem about the baking soda being next to the skin like that for so long??

much thanks and warmth,
    Mags
  2. JLH

JLH New Member

I really don't know if it would cause a problem being on the skin for a long period or not. I always heard to sprinkle some baby powder in your cast.

I would suggest calling the doctor who put your cast on! I am sure the office gets this question frequently--they would be the experts on this!!

Hope you find something that works!

Hugs,
    Janet
  3. onedaymagpie

onedaymagpie New Member

Thanks so much for your response. I thought of talc but figured that was more like masking it, when soda would absord it. Maybe I should switch over

A call to the doc - great idea, I can do that Monday.

big hug to you
    Mags
  4. onedaymagpie

onedaymagpie New Member

5. rockyjs

rockyjs Member

I saw this on a website about caring for a plaster or fiberglass cast:

"To control odor and soiling, use a slightly damp cloth and mild soap to remove dirt. Allow the cast to airdry. You may rub a small amount of baking soda on the outside of smelly areas. Do not put baking soda inside the cast."

Jan
  6. onedaymagpie

onedaymagpie New Member

Rock--
    that is exactly right on what I was wondering. Big thanks, that is very helpful.

with gratitude:
    Mags