Baking without Sugar, Gluten, Eggs, Soy and Nuts?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by msSusan, Nov 30, 2008.

1. msSusan

msSusan Member

I have found a few good books and web sites that have recipes but many include eggs and sugars (honey, brown rice syrup, agave) which I have intolerences to.

I have tried substituting stevia for sweetener but texture is off. Volume of flours needs to be adjusted?

I have experimented using flax seed, gelatin or powdered egg replacement for egg but texture is very crumbly.

Does anyone have any good resources or want to share recipes?

[This Message was Edited on 12/17/2008]
  2. morningsonshine

morningsonshine New Member

You have a tough combination there, so do i, baking without eggs, dairy (me) and sugar(you) is very hard to do.

I need to avoid gluten, eggs, and dairy. I use rice milk for anything calling for milk.

Have you tried using baby food prunes, or apple sauce, along with a little stevia as a sugar substitute??? It may help the texture.

Here is a recipe in one of my books, haven't tried it yet. You will have to substitute something for the sugar part.

Ginger Snaps

1 1/2 C tapioca flour
    1 Cup amaranth flour
    1/2 t. guar gum
    1 t. baking powder
    1 t. baking soda
    1/2 t. salt

1/4 C. maple syrup
    1/4 C. brown rice syrup
    (try a 1/2 apple sauce with a little stevia in it, instead)

1/2 C. coconut oil, warmed to liquid
    5T. fresh grated ginger (if you use powdered ginger will take way less, more like 2 t. i'm guessing)

Preheat oven 350 degrees
    Stir together the flours, and other dry ingredience.(top 6) Add the rest, mix gentle until just moist.
    Scoop spoon-sized portions onto a lightly greased cookie sheet and back 12-15 minutes.

Let me know how it comes out if you try them, i would try them now if i had fresh ginger, maybe i will anyways with the powder.

Keep trying new things, and share when you find some thing that works.
  3. morningsonshine

4. victoria

victoria New Member

Have you looked at Nicolette Dumke's book about cooking without those ingredients? That may give you a big jump start.

There used to be a person online who made flours from all sorts of rare foods since her children were sensitized to almost everything, but I've lost the site. She'd had a degree in biology or similar, and had put together quite an extensive list of things to try along with recipes. If I come across it, I'll let you know.

Good luck, I know it's hard. I've gone on strict candida diets; also my daughter's BF is usually restricted to about 10 foods, altho they change periodically. It is so hard!

all the best,

5. smhaws

smhaws New Member

I'm vegan, and I've experimented quite a lot with replacing eggs in baking. My absolute favorite method is to make “flax eggs.” It's definitely better than those egg replacement powders. I dare say that the results are even superior to using eggs!

I recommend making these in bulk; it’s easier that way. Combine 1/3 cup flax seeds with 2/3 cup hot water in a blender. Let sit for 15 minutes, then blend until the mixture is gelatinous in texture and whole flax seeds are no longer visible.

One tablespoon of flax eggs equals one egg. However, if you use this egg replacer and you notice that your batter isn’t quite as liquid-y as it seems it should be, add 2 to 3 tablespoons water, rice milk, or other liquid of your choice.

Whatever flax eggs you don’t use will keep for 2 weeks in the fridge, so you’ll have some on hand for the future. (One tip for using flax eggs is to beat the flax eggs into the oil/liquid before adding dry ingredients. It helps distribute the flax all throughout your batter.)
  6. morningsonshine

Thank you, Thank you, Thank you!!! Can't wait to try this!!!! Baking with out eggs really sucks!!!
    And that egg replacement powder stuff, just doesn't work!!! Doesn't even have the consistency of eggs,
    The flax sounds like it should, and i have plenty on hand. Have you ever used it for a recipe that calls for ALOT of eggs, like, pumkin pie, or brownies??

Cant' wait to try this, won't be today, toooooo tired, but maybe this weekend!!

7. msSusan

msSusan Member

I would think the taste would be rather strong but I've never tried it. The consistency may be "funky" too?

I've only tried recipes replacing 1-2 eggs like in pancakes or cakes.

Let us know how it works out.
  8. MIssAutumn

MIssAutumn New Member

I've had to switch to gluten free baking also and since I'm on an anti Candida diet I don't use sweeteners, yet. I use almond flour/meal and coconut flour so far. the texture is different - more grainy - but it wasn't hard to get use to, once I got it into my head that I was use to eating over processed foods and this was so much more healthier! I have used Sucanat it is completely natural, and has a taste that changes and gets sweeter as you eat.
    Taken from their website:
    You can use Sucanat anywhere you would use brown sugar.
    Sucanat is not a pure chemical, it is a pure food.
    It has received Kosher Certification: Kosher and Pareve - Kashruth
    It has a lower sucrose level than conventional sugar.

the other product I have used is all natural fructose from Bob's Red Mill, it has been isolated from glucose and then purified, it's a lot sweeter than cane sugar/chemicals without all the adverse effects.

If you go onto one of the low carb eating websites most have alternatives to what we are use to using in our foods.
    I takes some time to figure out what we can eat and then hoe to incorporate into our meals but it can be done. I think people are getting more aware of how bad our diets really are so it's a little easier than it was even a few years ago.

Happy cooking!!:) :)

9. msSusan

msSusan Member

I do not have blood sugar issues but I seem to get much more muscle pain after eating almost any type of sugar including fruit sugars, honey, agave and brown rice syrup.

I will look into Sucanat and see if I can tolerate it.

I've been working on food intolerance issues for about 5 years and still haven't totally figured out what makes me feel worse. I also have trouble with ingredients(?) in supps and meds like corn and soy.
  10. MIssAutumn

MIssAutumn New Member

There have been studies about sugar and pain with the results it does make us worse. I think there is an abstract in the Pro Health library about it. I have been on a no sugar no yeast no dairy and no wheat diet for 6 weeks now. I can't say the pain is totally gone but it is to the point I can actually do hard work now and I can get back to walking. I am sleeping from 4-5 hours straight a night now, I haven't' done that in 25 years! And losing weight- haven't done that in 10 years.

Sugar is absolutely poison! Does natural raw honey bother you too? I found gluten isn't so bad if I don't eat too much of it.

This is a long process trying to figure it out, one reason I think is because this illness keep changes what it does to us.

Have you read Cateyes post on getting the gut back to health? It is really good and explains why we need to start there. That's what the doctor that is treating me and also a few others here, started with and I could tell the difference in one week!