Balance\Coordination-Have You Actually Fallen Down???

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by mersey_ferryman51, Feb 18, 2003.

1. mersey_ferryman51

mersey_ferryman51 New Member

One of the most horrific of my fibro symptoms is the problem with balance, coordination, and equalibrium.

I've fallen many times since my fibro started....how many of you have lost your balance to the point of falling?

I'd be interested to know how many others in our forum have experienced this.

Larry G.

2. asmom15

asmom15 New Member

Hey Larry,

I have a problem with my equalibrium and balance too. But not to the point of falling down. Sometimes I feel like I can fall down from exhaustion and dizziness. I cannot turn around fast or move my head fast in anyway. Bright lights make me feel dizzy and also vertical lines. When I feel really fatigued I have to rest or lay down for a while because if I don't, I probably would fall down.

Rest often,

asmom15
  3. ejay

ejay New Member

you want to believe it to the point that i am know nursing disconnected collar bone i use a walker majority of time and when i dont i usually pay or look like drunkbut there are good days and i am trying new treatment that is helping wonderful/ ejay
  4. Copper2002

Copper2002 New Member

Hi Larry, yep! I fall now, too. I've been seriously injured twice. As with a previous poster, 1 fall dislocated the collar bone, and both falls torqued my pelvis.

I'm curious if the rest of you also bump into corners of rooms or walls, especially when turning a corner? I crash and burn frequently.

Copper
    Let Miracles Replace all Grievances
  5. mastersinger

mastersinger New Member

Good Afternoon! Did your FM start out with illness or accident? I don't think I had much trouble other than right away (with CFS) I was so weak,etc. In the past year, I have experienced more times of poor cordination,balance-luckily I have never fallen down-well I'm not so sure of that-I think that Ii remember going splat -like in my garage-coming off small steps. Boy, don't ever say Never!! I hope this short-lived for youor you can get some PT help or go walk in a warm swimming pool. That does help for balance!! Later.
  6. 2girls

2girls New Member

Can't put my shoes or boots on without swaying/falling. It is embarrasing - can't balance on one leg (impossible)!

2girls
  7. irish.me

irish.me New Member

hi everyone, new to the board today..but this really caught my eye..I get dizzy all the time. It started back after I had my second daughter (so 19 years ago). Then about 12 years ago I went through a bunch of tests and they said it was Minere's (spelling is wrong I'm sure)...my balance is always off and I cannot walk a straight line, turn fast or even turn my head fast without getting dizzy. Some bouts are worse than others. I have fallen a few times, the most memorable one was face down in a creek and for some reason didn't get back up...I must have liked the view down there or something <laughin>. I crash into the door jams on a regular basis too..I know that people wonder if I drink.
    hugs,
    mary
  8. jpswife_4boys

jpswife_4boys New Member

I started falling alot within the past year. That is what actually started my doctor to start testing me to see what was wrong. I told him I'm just clumsy. He argued and said that no grown woman falls for no reason. I guess after treating me for a while and looking at my history of problems it just signaled him that he needed to look into more. Glad he did because I thought I was just going crazy. (LOL) Although I hate having this dd I'm glad there's more to it than me just being dingy.
  9. Trini

Trini New Member

that was the first time I actually did. I often feel I'm going to fall or pass out as others said from exhaustion and feeling lightheaded when I stand up, move my head suddenly, etc..but this was first time I actually passed out for few seconds and fell forward onto the counterin the store. I couldn't walk out on my own (wheeled me out in a chair)and someone had to come and get me bec I cudn't drive. I have a dr's appt tmrw to go thru the routine neurological testing. Actually hope to get a head ct or "spect" scan that my attorney has been wanting for ss.
    Was scary experience and even now still feel like I cud go again. What a ride this cfs stuff is!

Trini
  10. lassiecass

lassiecass New Member

Hi Larry,
    Yes, I have a bad case of vertigo. It was so bad that if I got out of bed to quickly I would just fall back into it. I go for periods when I am fine but recently it has come back full force. I really feel light headed as if I could fall but I am trying to fight it like every other symptom I have, or treat it if I am able. Exercising 3 times a week but that hasn't made much of a difference in the vertigo. Hope you feel better soon.
    Sandy (Cass)
  11. mersey_ferryman51

mersey_ferryman51 New Member

I thought the problem was wide-spread in fibro sufferers!

I guess it's one more reason for us all to "lean on each other for support!" (PUN INTENDED!!)

Larry G.
  12. JannyW

JannyW New Member

I actually fell flat on my face in my bedroom last week & skinned the bridge of my nose ... looks really cute! I don't drive much anymore because I feel so loopy most of the time (some of that is due to meds, I'm sure). When I was working I was bad for dropping things ... come to think of it, I even literally fell down on the job once!

Jan ^v^
  13. ladybird1

ladybird1 New Member

I have not yet fallen down, but I do experience a feeling like my head is spinning frequently. I usually bend over to try and slow it down.
  14. Kathryn

Kathryn New Member

I am another one who gets checked for DUII while I am walking. I have been using my German Shepherd for balance, and to help me get up when I sit down, but his hips are getting bad. My doctor told me to use one of those 4 pod canes, but I trip over it, so I am using one we found in the shop. I trip over things that are not there, stumble against walls and doors, and get really light headed if I am on my feet very long.
    Kathryn
  15. allycat20

allycat20 New Member

Well yes i have and bad part is at school with students there. Three times this year ones on cement outside funny think I wasnt dizzy though,my just legs just gave out.
    The other 2 times was in class one in the small chairs I have in my classroom I leaned to get somthing fell right over and another time trying to step over some games they had out. The kids are ok with it they laugh since I am ok but I do wonder what their parents think cause am sure they go home and tell. Five and six year olds tell everything!!!
  16. evileva

evileva New Member

I have walked into things, bumped into things, tripped going up stairs and down. There for awhile I was using the wall to hold me up. The worst one was when I went to get up out of bed and my legs didn't work so I fell against the night table on the way down and broke my rib. lol Now that one hurt!
    Eva
  17. phenom

phenom New Member

i'm always tripping over things, walking into walls and falling over my own feet! i've always been a bit clumsy, but this is rediculous!

phenom
  18. allhart

allhart New Member

i fall a couple times of week,i seem to always walk like im drunk its one of the most fustrating things for me,
  19. Dara

Dara New Member

I fell for the first time last week, actually I don't know if you would call it falling, I simply walked off my front porch, eliminating the stairs, until I landed on the concrete and felt like an idiot. I conked my head on the concrete, skinned both knees, sprained my wrist and brused up my chin. I had never known before that this was a side affect of the Fibro. About two years ago I started getting dizzy for no apparent reason, I was sent from doctor to doctor and after about six months it did subside, but it comes back every once in awhile. I usually get a pressure feeling on the sides of my head and I have to walk very slowly.

Now for the very serious part of this. My brother told me that he had been having problems with his balance. He has diabetes so he just thought that his blood sugar was off.He has a winter home in SanFilipe Mexico so put off going to his own doctor. After a couple of months of doctors, in mexico, just changing his medications but not doing any good, he went to a clinic in the U.S. The doctor at the clinic, thank goodness, felt that it could be something more than just low blood sugar so did a CT scan, they med-flighted him to Scottsdale, where he was put in ICU. He has been diagnosed with Brain Cancer. He starts his radiation/chemotherapy next week and we are praying for the best. It doesn't sound good, the best they can say is that with radiation he could have up to one year of quality life. As I'm typing this, I still can't believe this.

I'm not trying to scare anyone, but I do think it warrants a physical exam by your doctor just to be sure that it is "only" from the Fibro. His only symptom was that he felt like he was falling or leaning to one side or backwards or frontwards. He had no headaches or anything that you would expect with that type of disease.

Dara

20. kalina

kalina New Member

I constantly find myself running into walls and I have fallen on my face several times, especially when I am going through a bad flare. I've got the multiple bruises to prove it! At times my balance is so bad I can't walk in a straight line as hard as I try and my feet feel like lead. I see the walls right in front of me, but like a drunken sod I plow right into them anyway...

Kalina