Balance issues

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by mymichelina, Aug 18, 2006.

1. mymichelina

mymichelina New Member

When I first became unable to work due to fibro and other auto-immune problems I had problems with balance and used a cane. I spent then about 2 years basically in bed. Now as I am trying to become more mobile I am having these problems again. Now it happens like this...I am standing with or without cane and having a conversation when I suddenly feel a swoop of a spin and find myself falling where I stand...or into painful ojects. Family has had to catch me several times. I also noticed that it mainly happens if I turn my head to the right. Anyone have any ideas? I am on quite alot of medications but nothing new recently.
  2. Lolalee

Lolalee New Member

I have been using my cane a lot lately. I, too, have balance issues but not like the one you describe. For me it is more like walking into walls or turning around too fast and tipping over.

By the way, my Neurologist asked me to do something the other day and I couldn't. Please try this and tell me if you are able to do it. Stand with your feet together. Put your right foot directly in front of your left foot. Now step with your left foot directly in front of your right foot without bending your leg. I couldn't move my left leg. Can you?

Thanks,

Lolalee
  3. mymichelina

mymichelina New Member

Barely could keep balance to put right front forward then I tried to move my leg in front but once I got part of my left foot to leave floor I could not stand at all.
    why is this?
  4. Lolalee

Lolalee New Member

Thanks for trying this little exercise. I wonder how many of us have this problem. My husband could do it and my sister could as well.

When I was unable to do it at my Neurologist's office, he didn't say anything. He acted like I wasn't trying hard enough.

Have a good night,

Lolalee
  5. Tantallon

Tantallon New Member

Tried using a cane but toppled over. My problems are mainly on my right side, can't have anybody walk with me that side or I keep bummping into them. When I walk down a corridor I walk with my right hand touching the wall so I don't bump into it.

Don't have the swooping or spinning thing though, although I had vertigo before I really started bad with this DD.

Don't know why some of us are worse than others in this area, wish I did.

Sue

6. lovethesun

lovethesun New Member

I'll start to turn and keep on going.My neurologist used that 1 foot in front of the other test as one of the things to diagnose me with ,.If you were walking by yourself and it came on,you would ae least have that seat.Fibromyalgia.At that time all my doctors were at Vanderbilt.

Maybe you should see about those walkers with a seat.That way there would be something to catch you if you were walking alone.I love my walker.Because it helps with my balance ,I can walk faster and longer;\.I got a wheelchair for $50 at a thrift store.I use that to go places like fairs malls etc..

My whole point is use whatever you have to ,to get you out of the house.Its raises your seritonin when you are having fun,and that in turn makes you feel better,Linda
  7. tlayne

tlayne Member

What you are describing is vertigo (feel a swoop of a spin, and when I turn my head to the right). It could be caused by a inner ear infection, or a diseased inner ear. Hopefully it is an inner ear infection and can be resolved with antibiotic therapy. hugs, Tam

8. mymichelina

mymichelina New Member

Thank you for all the replies, it is nice to know there are real people out there!
    hugs....
  9. lovethesun

lovethesun New Member

A ot of them say they can make you dizzy.I find that in not so much dizzy as easiy thrown off baance..For instance,I'll turn and then just keep on going.Hopethis helps,Linda