bankrupcy????need help

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by amilyne, Dec 7, 2002.

1. amilyne

amilyne New Member

hi i was just wondering has anyone here filed bankrupcy and how to go about it???im in sooo deep its unbeleivable..im about to lose my car i have numerous late fees on stuff and i just dont know what else to do....youd think at 22 i wouldnt have to think sbout this crap but its so hard to work more than i already do and i dont have anyone that can help me...im barely making it as it is...anyone that may know about this please help me ...thankyous
    --ami
  2. amilyne

amilyne New Member

hi i was just wondering has anyone here filed bankrupcy and how to go about it???im in sooo deep its unbeleivable..im about to lose my car i have numerous late fees on stuff and i just dont know what else to do....youd think at 22 i wouldnt have to think sbout this crap but its so hard to work more than i already do and i dont have anyone that can help me...im barely making it as it is...anyone that may know about this please help me ...thankyous
    --ami
  3. DebinMN

DebinMN New Member

email me, I am going through this now...dmlachina@yahoo.com
  4. catgal

catgal New Member

Hello Ami~~I have FM/CFS, osteo & rheumatoid arthritis, asthma/allergies, and degenerative disc disease, am 53, and work part-time as I am my sole financial support. I know how hard it is to be in pain all the time, have to work, and barely make ends meet. My medical expenses run me $400 a month (no insurance), and sometimes I feel like I am going under financially.

You might consider calling one of those financial counseling agencies that help people who are considering bankruptcy. The service is free, but it will show up on your credit report. They look at all your bills; contact the credit card companies and other creditors and get all your late fees and interest taken off; they stop the creditors from calling you; they consolidate your bills, and you pay the agency one check every month based on your income, and they distribute it amongst your creditors. It is an alternative to filing bankruptcy.

If you do decide to file bankruptcy, you are so young that it would be off your credit report in 7 years--by the time you are 29.

I am barely able to work 3 days a week, and as I get older and all my ailments get worse--I find it difficult to keep dragging myself to work, but have no other choice as I have to support myself. I would try for disability, but you have to be unemployed to even file, and I would have no way to live while the lengthly process of filing for disability went on--and then may or may not be approved. I don't know how people who don't work, don't have spouses who provide, and aren't on disability make it.

You should get some good information from this Board. I wish you the best and hope things work out well for you. Carol....
  5. allhart

allhart New Member

i just filed on thur you can look for a anttoney in the phone book i also think legal aid can help also try calling the bankrupcy court they should be in the goverment section of the phone book they can get you the papers so you can file yourself the paper work is kinda of confussing but if i can fill it out anyone can the most exspensive thing if you do it on your own is the filling fee chapter 7 cost about 200.00 to file but they can brake it up into payments for you.when we looked for a attoney to do it for us the avrage cost was about 700.00,to start
    hope that helps alittle
  6. amilyne

amilyne New Member

hi everone that replied ..thankyou so much...i also just found out that apparently i was supposed to have jury duty in november and i didnt know so of course i didnt go and now im looking at misdemenor charges..a 700.00 fine or up to 90 days in jail.. ;( but i had moved in with this psyco girl that i didnt know and i know that she threw some of my mail away... i was supposed to serve in the county (dakota-deb) that i moved from..so i didnt even live in that county since the last day of august and who knows if the notice ever got forwarded....arghhhh....i hope that they will let me off but im scared about this now too....what a crappy year...lol..i probably shouldnt be laughing hey it can only get worse right..lol..well thanks for your ears.
    -ami
  7. ibmel

ibmel New Member

we had a really hard time.. credit cards, dr. bills piled up to no end. late, skipped car payments. so we went to consumer credit counceling. they go our bills and credit cards and car payments squared up for us. without them I don't know what our money situation would be. don't settle for bankrupcy..try CCCS first.
  8. lisjhn

lisjhn New Member

I had to file this year in July because I had $2000 worth of bills a month. Over $1000 was in minimum payments alone. And I'll tell you it was the absolute last thing I was gonna do. I told myself I'd try working again till I dropped dead if I had to, but I couldn't. I was bedridden, who was I kidding. I tried loan consolidation but with absolutely no income, it didn't matter.

So I filed, and it was the best thing I could've done for myself and my HEALTH!! What a load of your back, I can't even tell you. No more phone calls from creditors, no sorting thru bills everyday, stressing out on how I was gonna come up with the money, who was I gonna borrow from this time....all I can say is I DO NOT regret doing it. It lifted a huge burden off my back.

My attorney comforted me in knowing that the majority of people have done this at some point in their lives, so not to feel to badly about it and I can always pay these people off thru moral obligation if I'd like. Just because you file bankruptcy doesn't mean you don't have to pay them off WHEN you are able to do so, which I intend to do....all $23,000 of it.

Also this year has been the biggest year for bankruptcy since the Great Depression and because of that some laws are going into effect in the next couple months that will make it very difficult to get off so easy on not paying credit card companies. Just something I wanted to point out, not sure if this in my state (WA) or everywhere, but if you're still thinking about doing it, I'd get an attorney immediately and ask about these laws.

My two-cents, LISA